Inversor Problems - Need Expert Advice

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Hi Everyone! My inversor shut itself off last night (tripped the circuit breaker for itself), I think the electrician explained. And after he checked it out, he said the problem was that I had too many things connected to it and that if I continued to use it as ism it woul burn out. I think he's suggesting I set up a second inverter.... Someone who speaks better Spanish than me is checking to be sure this is what he meant. Meanwhile, I need some expert advice...based on my current set up and usage.

When the street power is off, I typically use the following items:

Large flat screen HDTV
Cable Box
Wireless Router
Laptop Computer
3 Ceiling Fans on #3 setting
A small humidifier/dehumidifier in my piano

I know. I could turn off the ceiling fans in two rooms. (Obviously, I can only be in one at a time.) But I like to keep the air moving in the center of the house and the bedroom. Seems to cut down on the moisture that is a continual problem living near the ocean.

I never use the washer, my hair dryer, vacuum cleaner, or other types of appliances when the street power is off. And the air conditioners and fridge are on a separate circuit that doesn't run through the inverter at all.

My condo neighbors use similar power when the street power is off and don't have a problem.

Any advice from those more experienced than I? I have no factual basis for my feelings or thoughts, but I don't think the over-connections is the problem. What else could it be?

Thanks!

Judy

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
If it tripped the curcuit breaker on the inversor, then you are using too many things on that size of inversor. 2 things you can do: shut one of the fans off, or buy a higher kw inversor.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
how big is the inversor and how many batteries? hammer is correct, you may have too small setup for your use. we have a 3.5 kw inversor with 8 batteries and it will hold power for well over 24 hrs, even with the fridge connected to it at all times...

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I only have four (newer - bought last summer) batteries so it's not as big as yours. And I don't have the fridge connected. It sounded like the electrician was suggesting a second inversor, which doens't make much sense to me but what do I know. And I do think the Costambar power situation will eventually be better so I hate to spend a lot of money upgrading my system unless it's absolutely necessary. Do you suppose I can just monitor the usage...that is, just use either my computer OR the TV rather than both? And maybe only one fan at a time? Still, it just doesn't seem like that's too much... And why all of sudden? My set up has been like this since last summer and no problems till now? It's just odd. Again, I'll do what I have to do but I don't want to buy a new (or additional) inversor unless there's no other choice... Any more advice anyone?

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Try it with one fan at a time......those ceiling fans draw a lot of power and as they get older start to draw more and more....and as dv8 asked, how many kw is your inversor?

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Check your batteries to make sure they have enough water in them. Even tho they are relatively new, any battery with low fluid levels will store less power and thus provide less. If they go dry (or too low) they can be ruined as well.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the power in costambar will get a lot worse before it gets better...

do not run fans if unnecessary. i understand you want air movement but try to keep fans on when there is power only. when we are off the grid reduce it to one fan at a time. for humidity i suggest small dehumidifiers, i have something called eva dry, one for each wardrobe, it's a must so close to the ocean.

check if you have other things connected to the inversor: water pump? gate? security system? other electronics not in use but plugged in?

and, like castellamonte suggested, check your batteries (or have an electrician check them for you). water level is important and so is proper ventilation of the room where inversor/batteries are.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Thanks Everyone! I'm waiting to hear back from the condo manager about exactly what the electrician recommended, but for the time being, I'll just limit the electrical usage drastically when we're off street power. I'm the Mrs, by the way, and I've only used the iron twice in three years! The batteries are checked regularly...there isn't much ventillation in the room, however, and there are about six sets of inversors and batteries in there. Still, I swear that I don't use more electricity than my downstairs neighbors and they're not having problems. The question becomes, "Do I follow the electician's suggestions or not?" For now, I'm thinking, not. At least for now and hope that the inversor can handle the reduced load... Thanks again everyone! Judy

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe someone hooked up to your inversor? you say all of the inversors are in the same space so maybe a small cable is working its magic somewhere...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
maybe someone hooked up to your inversor? you say all of the inversors are in the same space so maybe a small cable is working its magic somewhere...

I wondered the same thing. Great minds think alike, LOL! We should open a business called "Suspicious Minds" :)

May 5, 2007
I only have four (newer - bought last summer) batteries so it's not as big as yours. And I don't have the fridge connected. It sounded like the electrician was suggesting a second inversor, which doens't make much sense to me but what do I know. And I do think the Costambar power situation will eventually be better so I hate to spend a lot of money upgrading my system unless it's absolutely necessary. Do you suppose I can just monitor the usage...that is, just use either my computer OR the TV rather than both? And maybe only one fan at a time? Still, it just doesn't seem like that's too much... And why all of sudden? My set up has been like this since last summer and no problems till now? It's just odd. Again, I'll do what I have to do but I don't want to buy a new (or additional) inversor unless there's no other choice... Any more advice anyone?

That de hum did i fier is likely the problem. they use a tremendous amount of electricity

We have 2 inverters and 20 batteries, b.c we have 8 hours of street power a day if that. We run a pool pump non stop, 3 fans non stop, one fridge, real washing machine, almost always have A/C on, LOTS of electronics!!! Lots of light on at night outside etc....
One thing i will not do without is power, even here, or coolness, refuse to sweat all over the place. Oh also won't not use something when i want to just b/c no street power! I am a Canadian Princess I guess!

I would talk to an inverter expert not just an electrician.

Kinda diff situation since we live in a house not a condo though.

Last edited:

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
You never said how many kw the inverter is. You answer is above, either the inverter is underrated for a dehumidifier which is a BIG draw or your neighbors are on your inverter. You need to learn more! Also be a spy, turn off your breakers and inverter at various times, make sure your meter is not spinning, observe if any lights, ac or music goes off.

My money says your electrician is in on the thievery. He wants you to add an inverter so he or his buddies can steal more!

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Apparently, I have a 2.4 KW inverter. I've never had a problem before but the power outtages have been so unpredicable lately that maybe I left the washer on for a while after the street power went off. The piano dehumidifier/humidifier is tiny and it's not new. Nothing is new and my habits haven't changed. So I'll investigate if it's possible someone is borrowing my inverter, but I don't see how that is to their advantage. Most of the condos are rentals and the renters don't pay for electricity. And the other owners I know well.

For now, I plan to be very cautious in what I have on when the street power is out and see if that solves the problem, at least for now. One fan, either the tv or the laptop plugged in, and the piano. That's it. It should be able to handle that load.

Thanks again, everyone!

Judy

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
well dont forget to check the cable/battery connections are clean and greased also.....a bad connection to a battery could cause low power.

check ceiling fan are clean, they can get dirty also,and need a shot of WD40 occasionally.

Floor fans use less electricity than ceiling fans and you can move them from room to room.

dave

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
how does your inversor work? on 12 or 24 volts? i understand this is also a factor in how long the batteries will last. but your setup seems fine to me, nothing out of the ordinary...

watch your usage. right now costambar power sucks big time. after 4 hours without power try to keep the usage to minimum.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
My brain kept working overnight while I was sleeping (or not sleeping) and the inverter problem is still bothering me. Here's what I don't understand! The inverter went off while street power was ON... i was sitting watching TV and all of a sudden, everything on the inverter circuit went off. The fridge stayed ON! The air conditioner in the bedroom worked overnight since the street power was ON. Anything on the non-inverter circuit worked. I plugged my computer and fan into the kitchen circuit. So now, I'm really confused. So even with the street power ON, I have to be careful what I'm using? That makes no sense to me at all, but I'm happy to learn if someone can explain it to me. And dv8, I think the inverter is 12v.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is my understanding that 12v inversor should hold charge better and last longer, someone may correct me here because i am a mare user rather that expert, of course.

if you say the inversor went off with street power on it may mean it is badly connected and not charging how it's supposed to. the thing is, that all sockets connected to the inversor should be working on street power when it's on. inversor somewhat still protects everything connected to it (from power fluctuations) but essentially it only comes in when power changes. so when the power is on you can plug iron/microwave/hairdryer to inversor sockets and they will work from the street power without any problems.

i suggest you call up another electrician to check the connection...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
tonto, she already said 4 batteries... 2.4 inversor with 4 batteries should last all day... power usually goes off here for 6-8 hours at a time, there should be enough charge to last.