Looking for Camping/ Hiking companions

Jun 11, 2013
Greetings all,

My two girlfriends and I will be in the Dominican Republic in mid July. We are going to stay away from resorts and enjoy the natural beauty the Dominican Republic has to offer. We are for sure going to to hike Pico Duarte , the highest point in all the Caribbean. Pico Duarte lies in the Cordillera Central range, the greatest of the Dominican Republic's mountain chains. The four day three night excursion is being executed by" Ecoturismo Constanza". The companies website provides lots of information, please visit :
EXCURSION AL PICO DUARTE

**The hike is pretty strenuous (Kilimanjaro status), the company provides two mules per person.**

Dominican Republic is more than just resorts,so if your interested in having a special and unconventional Caribbean vacation please join us. The excursion begins July 18th and ends the 21st. The more the merrier. Message me for any additional info.

dunroamin

Oct 12, 2010
I have been up both and Pico Duarte is by no means like Kilimanjaro. Lower and warmer Both are unevenful uphill walks with a good view from the top

The direct route up PD up and down from Manabao (near Jarabacoa) is a wide path Many Domicans ride up on donkeys with equipment and beer Some fit types walk up and down in a day There is little scope to get lost

A longer walk could involve starting from the Bao valley and or a detour to the Valle de Tetero

When I went "Guides" were a racket They can only show you the way. I was told that guides do have knowldge of flora and fauna and are trained. When we went our guide had a tourist guide pass but i did not check it against his ID so I suspect that the pass was not his. He had no relevant knowldge for a guide.

Two donkeys per person What are you going to carry Unless one is for you and one for you luggage.

The trip is worth it but dont let yourself be conned by the hype.

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
I have been up both and Pico Duarte is by no means like Kilimanjaro. Lower and warmer Both are unevenful uphill walks with a good view from the top

The direct route up PD up and down from Manabao (near Jarabacoa) is a wide path Many Domicans ride up on donkeys with equipment and beer Some fit types walk up and down in a day There is little scope to get lost

A longer walk could involve starting from the Bao valley and or a detour to the Valle de Tetero

When I went "Guides" were a racket They can only show you the way. I was told that guides do have knowldge of flora and fauna and are trained. When we went our guide had a tourist guide pass but i did not check it against his ID so I suspect that the pass was not his. He had no relevant knowldge for a guide.

Two donkeys per person What are you going to carry Unless one is for you and one for you luggage.

The trip is worth it but dont let yourself be conned by the hype.
I was thinking the same thing..About the "Guides".... My suggestion would be to go to a small Hotel or B&B close by, and get the lay of the land as it were, to see really what is up.... I imagine you could rent a Donkey cheap.. And that Donkey will know the way up and down..LOL...

Jun 11, 2013
Thanks for the feed back. The trip is four days long so the mules have plenty of equipment to carry. Especially since im bringing my own tent as opposed to renting one. I must know some real wimps, ha ha. Seriously though even the trip advisor reviews claim that climbing pico is extremely difficult. Nice to hear a different perspective, ill share your thoughts with my girls I think they are terrified.

Jun 11, 2013
Thanks for the feed back. The trip is four days long so the mules have plenty of equipment to carry. Especially since im bringing my own tent as opposed to renting one. I must know some real wimps, ha ha. Seriously though even the trip advisor reviews claim that climbing pico is extremely difficult. Nice to hear a different perspective, ill share your thoughts with my girls I think they are terrified.