Things to look for in North Coast

kbaley

Jun 7, 2013
I mentioned in my intro post that we are moving to the Sosua area for work. Not in the town proper but out of a home office in the outskirts (more inland). My wife and I are going down next week to look for a potential rental place to start off and I was hoping to get some advice on where and what to check out.

So far, the only concrete place we want to visit is International School of Sosua for our 3.5 year old son. First question: are there other schools we should check out in the area? This one seems to pop up most often in my research.

Second, are there specific areas to aim at for rentals? We aren't totally wedded to Sosua. Cabarete seems close enough; I don't know much about either place. Puerto Plata is also a possibility but we're moving from a place where my commute is 5-10 minutes so it'd have to be pretty nice.

As for interests, neither of us are big on nightlife anymore. The rare night out is generally dinner at a decent place and possibly coffee or drinks afterward. More important would be nearby tennis courts and a good gym. And near other families with young kids as well.

Finally, is there anything else that we should check out during our week there?

loveydovey

Dec 16, 2011
It all depends on how much you want to spend on rent. What is your price range from? If you're going to send your child to ISS, I'm sure you have some decent money. Look further up in La Mulata for a place to rent.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
There's a Gold's Gym (in Sosua Ocean Village) about halfway between Sosua and Cabarete. I haven't been there in some time, but it is very nice and situated right on the ocean.

There are other perfectly nice gyms in Sosua (and at about half the price), but Gold's is far and away the nicest open facility in the area.

My advice is to think of the Puerto Plata-Sosua-Cabarete area as essentially one big community. They're all within 30-45 minutes of each other, and people commute back and forth daily.

As with any place, your rental options will vary based on your budget and what you need. Puerto Plata is the biggest town in the area, with the greatest options and choices, but there's not much personality to it beyond a few areas.

Sosua is pleasant enough, but as I'm sure you've heard by now, there's quite a bit of sex tourism that takes place at night along the busiest stretch of Pedro Clisante. That said, Sosua is actually a decent-sized town (made up of five areas), and is very livable.

Cabarete is known for its world-class wind and kitesurfing, but there's only one road in the town, really. If you like the beach-oriented lifestyle, then it's worth a look. Expect pricing to be more expensive here as you really can't get much further than 200 yards from the beach.

kbaley

Jun 7, 2013
Having just put our daughter through private school in the Bahamas the last 9 years, we've learned to budget for education. ISS is actually cheaper than the one she went to and that will be a welcome relief.

As for the price range, we're firmly entrenched in the middle class. We can afford to splurge a little for a good place to live because we tend to live below our means in most other aspects of our lives. When it comes to big ticket items, I can talk myself out of pretty much anything more expensive than a Kindle. And even that took me two years to decide on.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
My best friend lives in Nassau. My understanding is a 3 br house in a nice solid middle-class area will set you back no less than 2k per month, USD.

With the exception of Sea Horse Ranch and a few other "master planned" communities, you will be able to pretty much pick and choose at your leisure at that price point. A little negotiation can go an awful long way. Best of luck!

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
I agree about golds gym, very nice, not busy, right on the beach and you get the pools as well. (slides for kids and a swim pool more swim workout)

That area, Playa Laguna/playa Chiquita is pretty quiet, and yet only two or three minute outside Sosua by car. Some lovely Houses/villas for rent in that area. Its also very close to sea horse ranch with all the horses.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
When looking for rentals, especially if you have limited experience and knowledge of living in DR, I would highly recommend starting with one of the nicer apartment complexes if it fits within your budget.
Benefits include 24/7 water and power, a high level of personal security, and on-site management to deal with the daily hassles. Short/mid/long term rentals are available.
In Sosua, for example, you could consider Infiniti Blue. In Cabarete you could consider Ocean Dream or Ocean One.
You should be able to find a furnished apartment with electric, cable tv, and Internet included.
Your best bet to be happy with your move is to have a solid, safe, comfortable home while you acclimatize to the culture and surroundings. After 3 months or so you should feel a lot more secure in making your decision about where you'd ultimately like to settle.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Your number one priority should be security. Period. I would highly recommend renting a condo within a gated community within Sosua or Cabarete. Like CFA said, you will have 24 security, 24 hour electricity, etc.

I would not consider Puerto Plata...it's way too far away. 25 minute commute one way--and poor lighting at night. I drive it all the time. Stick with Sosua or Cabarete, or anything in-between these two towns.

A few places that come to mind are:

1. Infiniti Blue
2. Ocean Village (where Gold's Gym is located.) Drob suggested this...its nice. I work out here. The internet is fabulous and fast inside the restaurant...which itself is beautiful.
3. Ocean Village
4. Ocean Dream.
5. Harmony.
6. Beach Palace.
7. Perla Marina

And there are many others that i cannot think of right now. Other people here will have more recommendations within Sosua. But again, if you can afford it, stick with a place with a lot of security and 24 hour electricity. Puerto Plata should not even be a consideration if you are working in Sosua.

Frank

kbaley

Jun 7, 2013
Thanks all. As a follow up, is it better just to go to these places and deal with them directly or should we find ourselves a realtor?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Take the "Cable Car" ride to the top of the mountain in Puerto Plata.
You and your son, if he is coming now, but a "Must See/Do" even later, is "Ocean World"!!!!
An international quality marine park.
All the usual sea animals, plus more.
Swimming with many of the "Creatures" is available.
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Thanks all. As a follow up, is it better just to go to these places and deal with them directly or should we find ourselves a realtor?

There is no Multiple Listing in the DR. So one Realtor will not have quick access to everything available. A realtor can be helpful, but it's best not to tie yourself to one person.

I sent you a PM. Hope that helps.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
If you can, deal with the places you want to rent directly. Rent before you buy. Live in the area you feel you will like to make sure you do like it. Once you like it, then you can decide if you want to seek a place to buy independently, use a realtor or whomever. Keep your eyes wide open!