Caribbean Curry in Cabarete

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
The Indian restaurant next to Gorditos. I believe it has the same owner. I'd like to try it out. Is it open again or are they still on vacation. If they are still on vacation does anyone know when they are expected back?

Jan 17, 2009
The restaurant next to Gorditos (owned by same owner) is called Zemi. You have go past Yamazato, to the end of the strip. Don't know if it is open.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
You may be right. Last time I went by there a couple of weeks ago they were all closed. I knew from seeing another thread that Gorditos' owner was on vacation. Are they open again?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Gordito's is open. The curry restaurant (not owned by them) was still closed early last week, I think.

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
I wouldnt

The Indian restaurant next to Gorditos. I believe it has the same owner. I'd like to try it out. Is it open again or are they still on vacation. If they are still on vacation does anyone know when they are expected back?
Went to Cabarete Curry couple of months ago and we demanded our money back..first of all the prices they have back behind on the wall are WRONG...they are misleading and when we went to pay was double and the lady just said oh we need to change that...Huge writing in colorful letters and you stand by it all day and you forget?...right..anyways we paid 700 pesos for rice and very small potion of what was suppose to be curry and sat down..the rice was crunchier then the tacos we had for dinner from Gorditos(which i have to say were fantastic) and the curry just looked like dried up pub vomit..it was worse then a TV dinner that had been over cooked in a Microwave....they apologised and said they would cook some more but sorry not after that...we took our money back and wont be returning

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
It was very sad

Went to Cabarete Curry couple of months ago and we demanded our money back..first of all the prices they have back behind on the wall are WRONG...they are misleading and when we went to pay was double and the lady just said oh we need to change that...Huge writing in colorful letters and you stand by it all day and you forget?...right..anyways we paid 700 pesos for rice and very small potion of what was suppose to be curry and sat down..the rice was crunchier then the tacos we had for dinner from Gorditos(which i have to say were fantastic) and the curry just looked like dried up pub vomit..it was worse then a TV dinner that had been over cooked in a Microwave....they apologised and said they would cook some more but sorry not after that...we took our money back and wont be returning
i didn't demand money back, but food was very overcooked and price was not what was on the wall. I just wrote them off my list permanently and predicted a short longevity to the others in my group (who had wisely stuck with Gorditos).

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I never visit any restaurant until it has been there with the same owner/operator for 6 months. If it is still there, it's worth my time. Otherwise, everyone else has tried it, hated it and never went back so it went bust. It's too easy to open a restaurant without any experience or expertise for me to waste my time visiting until I know it will be there for me the next time I'm hungry.

...just sayin'

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i was also told the curry was good but decided not to go as there is no menu as such -I think they cook it and you get whats there

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
i was also told the curry was good but decided not to go as there is no menu as such -I think they cook it and you get whats there

That's right - I had a quick look and it's a buffet and you choose what you want. I have been back a couple of times to try the food but it was closed both times - not very good for a new business. From what I read here it is expensive too, for what it is, so I may give it a miss. A shame really, as I am British and curry is now the country's most popular food - way ahead of traditional national food like roast beef and Yorkshire pudding!

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We had the traditional Indian dish of Butter Chicken there in March and it was very good. They served basmati rice, not the usual rice found in the DR. They might have stopped doing that because basmati rice, although delicious, is expensive. I hope they make a go of it but, unfortunately, a couple of lousy meals and it can be all over.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
is this the restaurant that purports to be a caribbean restaurant?

No, the Caribbean restaurant is next to Gorditos and is fabulous! The Curry restaurant is on the other side (West side) of Yamazato Sushi restaurant--two doors down from the Caribbean restaurant. Same plaza in Ocean Dream, but different restaurants and different owners.

One restaurant is a Caribbean restaurant, and the other is an Indian restaurant.

Frank

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
No, the Caribbean restaurant is next to Gorditos and is fabulous! The Curry restaurant is on the other side (West side) of Yamazato Sushi restaurant--two doors down from the Caribbean restaurant. Same plaza in Ocean Dream, but different restaurants and different owners.

One restaurant is a Caribbean restaurant, and the other is an Indian restaurant.

Frank

thanks, frank. i went there, and checked the menu. i am sure their food is great, but i did not see any caribbean staples, besides jerk chicken.