new unknown illness

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My husband has been following this series of articles, because his mother died from exactly this. Some claim it has something to do with an ingredient in bread, and others say it's the artificial colors in sodas. Regardless, a rather rare disease that isn't rare in DR.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
That's scary. I have a friend in Puerto Plata in his mid 20's who is currently undergoing chemotherapy for what I believe is this exact disease.

There have been 8 months of repeated stomach flushes, biopsies, colonoscopies, etc. the chemo treatments are hopefully the end of it and is said to be to help insure any remaining cells don't turn cancerous.

Constant pain, digestive issues, weight loss, hospitalization, etc have been part of his life for almost a year now. Hopefully the treatments are working.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
That article mentioned bread tainted or produced with bromate.

I wouldn't be surprised if bread companies are using tap water to produce bread!

Stay safe everyone.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
I know you can kill bacteria in water with elevated levels of pH by boiling it in a pot for at least 15 minutes.

I don't know if this is as effective when you mix water with yeast or dough to make your bread.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
theoretically the water for bread making should be warmed and boiled first, that's how i make my breads. well, often i skip the water altogether and use beer or tomato juice.

mass production of the bread, on the other hand... not sure. if it is fully mechanic, like lumijor or other large producer then i trust the water is processed before use. smaller bakeries... well...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes, and what about all the artificial colors that have been banned forever in the USA - what red do they use for their refresco rojo? and the rest of them????? Glad I only drink water.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Dont worry the Dominican FDA will make sure no banned ingredients will be used.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
dominican food = reason. always with fat.... you name that "pan" as bread ? I visited few countries in the world already and NOWHERE bread was SO terrible like here... its just not bread..its plastic with air...i dont believe that people can eat this :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, bread and all baked goods here are crap. which is why i bake at home and i cook nearly everything from scratch too.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
dominican food = reason. always with fat.... you name that "pan" as bread ? I visited few countries in the world already and NOWHERE bread was SO terrible like here... its just not bread..its plastic with air...i dont believe that people can eat this :)

i feel vindicated. i have always said that Dominican "bread" was nothing like bread. does not even look like it. thank God i can bake, or i would never eat any baked goods while i am here.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Pan sobao has oil and pan de agua has none, so it's not correct to say all breads here have lots of fat.

Receta: Pan de agua – Cocina Dominicana

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pan sobao and pan de agua are not exactly bread. feed them to rats, and they would be dead in a week.
ha ha ha, i laughed out loud :) i can eat pan de agua freshly baked. 2 hours later and you can use to assault someone.