OMG! Is there a decent resort?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
My friend asked me to help her look for a resort to have her wedding next year. She wants to go to Punta Cana, as I've never been there, I told her I would be doing the same thing she would be doing....Google and TripAdvisor.
I have spent several hours on TripAdvisor and am very disappointed. I thought Punta Cana was the sh*t. I like to look at the traveler's photos because the facility photos sometimes aren't what you get. All of the rooms look just like what we get for $75/night RIU Bachata in POP where I take the kids for weekends :-(
Anyone been to a Punta Cana resort that is Upscale but allows children also? She is an Anesthesiologist and her husband is a Gastro-Intestinal surgeon so I don't think money is an object (although I didn't ask her specifically).
I mean, nice suites, not just the honeymoon suite being upscale because she wants her friends and family to be pampered also. Beautiful grounds and beach, nice pools, good food, etc. Does this exist? I'm not finding it yet :-(
She was hoping for all-inclusive but if you know of ANYTHING....let me know so she can check it out.
After all of these years and people saying Punta Cana is the place to go....I'm highly disappointed in what the internet is showing me.

Thanks for your help.

SHALENA

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
Check out the actual "Punta Cana Resort".. Maybe Tortuga Bay.... They have some weddings here.. Saw one yesterday, and one today walking the beach... They have or put up some type of posts or trellis and hang nice linens and flowers etc. I guess depending on how fancy you want to get... This is not one of the "All Inclusive" Resorts.. Mostly private beach for the people at the resort.. I live at the Marina Section and it is low key and laid back.. Less than 10 min from the airport. .. You could also opt. for the Resorts at "Bavaro Beach" where most of the "All Inclusives" are. Depends on if your looking for all kinds of people around or more private... My 02...

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
We stayed at the punta cana hotel - AI - only for a few days but it was very nice and would recommend it.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
The fancy room is only a part of the overall experience.
The ambiance of the resort is important. The food should be good and the wine in the all-in package should be drinkable. (lol)
The gardens should be lush, the pools updated, well kept, clean, clean and clean.
The staff should be competent, empathetic and friendly......In that order.
The beach, of course, is perhaps priority #1.
Do you like calm, shallow and safe?
Or maybe you like it rough.......? :cheeky:
Or somewhere in the middle?
Anyway,
Prioritize and strike a balance. You won't go wrong.

Royal Suites Turquesa was due to open the year that I left. I won't comment except to say that I am very familiar with the Paladium (n? Fiesta) hotels in Punta Cana.
If things haven't changed too much in the last few years, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. Honestly?
I would recommend the Palladium Bavaro over all the others.
The classy older sibling.

The most important thing is to know what is the most important thing to the bride???!! Beach, rooms, food, wedding package etc..
Unless you are paying for a real 5 star you will not get a "Perfect" hotel. Those hotels are extremely expensive.
I usually stay at 4.5-5 star hotels in the DR and they are no where near what that means in North America, but , my wife and I laugh it off, some of the trip Ad reviews take things too seriously. Remember you are in a developing Country. Fridges will not work, the a/c will drip or not work, cockroaches may appear, Power may go out ,service will be slow, drinks may be watered down. Patio Door won't have a lock etc....

If you cannot laugh these kinda things off you or the bride will not have fun.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
The fancy room is only a part of the overall experience.
The ambiance of the resort is important. The food should be good and the wine in the all-in package should be drinkable. (lol)
The gardens should be lush, the pools updated, well kept, clean, clean and clean.
The staff should be competent, empathetic and friendly......In that order.
The beach, of course, is perhaps priority #1.
Do you like calm, shallow and safe?
Or maybe you like it rough.......? :cheeky:
Or somewhere in the middle?
Anyway,
Prioritize and strike a balance. You won't go wrong.

Royal Suites Turquesa was due to open the year that I left. I won't comment except to say that I am very familiar with the Paladium (n? Fiesta) hotels in Punta Cana.
If things haven't changed too much in the last few years, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. Honestly?
I would recommend the Palladium Bavaro over all the others.
The classy older sibling.

Spoken like the ultimate "insider".
Sorry,
I wasn't very clear. Royal Suites Turquesa is part of the Palladium property.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Iberostar Grand Bavaro is very nice. Also the Majestic properties are quite nice. Remember that these are AI's so they cater to the masses, however the above properties are very nice. I have stayed there and would recommend them.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Hard Rock is the best, from what I have heard.

Palladium is pretty good. I stayed there last year and enjoyed it enough.
The beach is gorgeous. The staff at the buffets and bars and roomservice are awesome.
The staff at the front desk are totally useless jerks.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Given that price is not the first priority; maybe they should try if Villa Castellamonte is something for them...

Do you do airport pick-ups, Castellamonte? If not I might be able to refer you to reliable transport..

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Tortuga Bay Tripadvisor's 2013 Travelers Choice

Check out the actual "Punta Cana Resort".. Maybe Tortuga Bay.... They have some weddings here.. Saw one yesterday, and one today walking the beach... They have or put up some type of posts or trellis and hang nice linens and flowers etc. I guess depending on how fancy you want to get... This is not one of the "All Inclusive" Resorts.. Mostly private beach for the people at the resort.. I live at the Marina Section and it is low key and laid back.. Less than 10 min from the airport. .. You could also opt. for the Resorts at "Bavaro Beach" where most of the "All Inclusives" are. Depends on if your looking for all kinds of people around or more private... My 02...

If cost is no problem Tortuga Bay is a great selection. The environment is splendid and service is beyond compare. It is Tripadvisor's 2013 Travelers Choice winner.

It is an Oscar de La Renta design (one of the owners / Grupo Punta Cana ). Also, if the accomodations are for a wedding, arrangements can be made to provide VIP service at the airport to wisk the couple from there to the resort. The airport is owned and operated by Grupo Punta Cana.

Regards,

PJT