Does Anyone go to the South West Coast anymore?

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
I have been doing all kinds of research and tripping around the forum looking at everything on the SW. Coast.... Does not seem to get much activity.. Maybe that is a good thing... I have practically worn Google Earth out..... I hope to be going that way in a week or 2... After assimilating everything I can read about traveling the coast there.. I am mainly concerned about the road conditions.... My cheap little Picante rental car..... And any new updates on the B&B's or small hotel up and down the coast to stop at....?? Must see places.. Must not see places?? Considering going to the lake, but not really interested in going to Haiti...LOL.. thx..

Aug 6, 2006
Going to the SW

I have been doing all kinds of research and tripping around the forum looking at everything on the SW. Coast.... Does not seem to get much activity.. Maybe that is a good thing... I have practically worn Google Earth out..... I hope to be going that way in a week or 2... After assimilating everything I can read about traveling the coast there.. I am mainly concerned about the road conditions.... My cheap little Picante rental car..... And any new updates on the B&B's or small hotel up and down the coast to stop at....?? Must see places.. Must not see places?? Considering going to the lake, but not really interested in going to Haiti...LOL.. thx..

==============================================================
I strongly suggest that you get a copy of the Rough Guide to the Dominican Republic.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Rough Guide to the Dominican Republic 3 (Rough Guide Travel Guides)

It is not a thorough as it could be, but it is the best guidebook around.
To locate little hotels, I suggest just asking a motoconcho guy for advice. I plan to be there starting Monday, traveling by guagua most likely.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I drove down to Barahona and Lago Enriquillo and Jimani at the end of last year. The roads are decent enough for a rental car, so long as you don't try to drive around Enriquillo. As the lake has expanded, the better roads have been cut off.

I might add that the Barahona malecon has seen a great deal of work and is awesome. Definitely recommend it.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
I've gone to the Haitian border a few times on the south west road. Easily done. But not for the faint of heart as the military patrols increase rapidly as you get closer to the border. Still, you need to get to Bah?a de las ?guilas because if it is not on your bucket list, it definitely should be!! Amazingly gorgeous, totally unspoiled and pristine. Do it!

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
==============================================================
I strongly suggest that you get a copy of the Rough Guide to the Dominican Republic.
QUOTE]
Others say the Haiti-Part of the Lonely-Planet DR-Guide is the best. Don't know, have only the LP.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The road from Baharona to Pedernales has improved. There are sections with potholes but they are the exception. The drive is awesome with some excellent views of the coast. A stop at Los Patos is almost mandetory for a walk along the river to enjoy the ducks and a cold cerveza. Do not attempt to enter the water on the ocean side the rip currents will take you away.

Bahia de las Aguilas is worth the stop, continue on to Perdernales and enjoy the open market at the border.

Regards,

PJT

Aug 6, 2006
QUOTE]
Others say the Haiti-Part of the Lonely-Planet DR-Guide is the best. Don't know, have only the LP.
-====================================================================
I bought both of these. The LP Guide includes Haiti, and focuses more on the usual tourist destinations in the North, East and South. The Rough Guide has most of what the LP has, and some different places, and deals a lot more with places that are not typical AI and tourist destinations. I like the pricing info in the Rough Guide better. Assuming it is true, it is more clearly indicated. Both are acceptable guidebooks. Check the reviews at Amazon.com.

Any good guidebook can easily save you what it costs, that is my experience. The all-time greatest guide is the Let's Go Guide to Ecuador and the Galapagos, but it is a bit dated by now. Let's Go concentrates on what interests backpackers and truly curious travelers. (no, I don't mean sex).

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

the road is gorgeous.. the border is my favorite part of the country. There is a lovely B and B south of barahona run by a Swiss woman.. it is in lonely planet.. I will try to unearth mine later if you do not have it. There are lots of hotels there. Paraiso is gorgeous. Los Patos is a must see. Pedernales is a sweet town with great seafood. The drive up to the cloud forest is the only road that your little car might not make, you should get a concho. for that. Do get to Bahia des Aquillas. The market with Haiti is Monday and Friday. I have not been to Enriquillo.

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
I am leaving Punta Cana soon as my Boat Capt. Job is done here, and not going to have more work really till after September.... Was thinking about finding a cheap place in this area to chill out for a few months and explore....:)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I am leaving Punta Cana soon as my Boat Capt. Job is done here, and not going to have more work really till after September.... Was thinking about finding a cheap place in this area to chill out for a few months and explore....:)
Be prepared for HOT!!!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
oh. I forgot that part. I was down there in July once and had a little pocket thermometer.. which registered 114 degrees

but it is a desert dry heat jajajajajaj

so it does cool down at night

and the ocean is right there.

pedernales town beach is the only place on the island that i have ever been stung by jelly fish

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
someone did a very good trip report on the area a while back. I can't remember who it was, but iirc it was over a year ago. mentioned small hotel, beaches, stuff to do, etc. etc. they also traveled away from the beach in the area. A search might help, or maybe someone here remembers the thread.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I can only reiterate what others have already mentioned, this is the best kept secret and my favourite part of the country hands down. We stayed at Playa Azul, great place with A/C, hot water and very clean. The owners were great. We went into Barahona to the Malecon area ar night for dinner. Bahia de Las Aguilas is a feast for the eyes and you must eat the lobster there at La Cueva. The beach there has very little shelter and can be scorching hot, bring a hat and lots of sunscreen and water. I know you say you have no interest in the border towns but we did go to both Jimani and Pedernales and crossed over in both places as we figured we will likely never get to go that way again. We also had a smaller rental vehicle and managed perfectly. Lago Enriquillo is spectacular too, watch out for the giant iguanas. Another little town we loved was San Rafael. We also stopped off at Laguna Oviedo, ok for a quick visit. Enjoy! Feel free to pm with any questions

Yacine

Oct 23, 2005
and for a more "roots" "alternative" and "responsible" community based ecotourism try the offers of the women cooperative of La Ci?naga: GuanAventuras and catalog here: Catalogo de Oferta Ecoturismo Comunitario Guanventuras, cooperativ...

(note: I do not have personal direct financial interest in this business, but I'm related, as I live there and need the women to have business so their children have better education and health so they dont have to ask me for assistance)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
and for a more "roots" "alternative" and "responsible" community based ecotourism try the offers of the women cooperative of La Ci?naga: GuanAventuras and catalog here: Catalogo de Oferta Ecoturismo Comunitario Guanventuras, cooperativ...

(note: I do not have personal direct financial interest in this business, but I'm related, as I live there and need the women to have business so their children have better education and health so they dont have to ask me for assistance)

I have seen this a couple of times thanks for posting. Could you tell me if there are any cabins with twin beds? Can you tell me if there is a price to just go stay there for a night with meals? It is great that you posted the slide show since at least there is a phone number. I have heard great things about this project and seems like a great get away.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

There is no dive shop there, But there are divers that come down on the weekends and somehow get hooked up with someone and take the 45 minute boat ride to Isla Beata (?) or somewhere. If you are looking for the unexplored and the undiscovered,., looking to be the first on the ground with the snorkeling/diving gig.. this is the place for you.