Apple Computers in DR??

May 20, 2012
I want the new MacBook Air 13", just released. While I love my older MBA 11", I am wanting the larger screen for my computer since I have an iPad for portability.

Anyone know where in the DR I could buy one? Or how much more they cost here than in the USA?

And should I sell my old MacBook Air 11" here, or would it be worth more in the USA? I can wait until my next USA trip and take it back to the States.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Sell the old one here and buy the new one in the States. You can carry it in and pay no duty. If you can find one here it will cost you a lot more.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sell the old one here and buy the new one in the States. You can carry it in and pay no duty. If you can find one here it will cost you a lot more.

Probably be cheaper to fly to Florida and buy there including the cost of the flight.

May 20, 2012
Problem is I don't have plans to go to the USA in near future. But if they cost significantly more here, I will probably wait.

My older MacBook Air works fine. I just want a new one....immediately.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Get on the FB page everything Cabarete and try and sale it there. Then buy the new one in the states when you go back it will be way cheaper for sure.

I had to replace a cracked outer screen on an Imac here and the cost was about double of what it would have been in the US.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you're not go to the US, maybe someone you know and trust is?

I'd offer, but we're not coming down until December :(

And I do understand the "want it now" :p

May 20, 2012
Get on the FB page everything Cabarete and try and sale it there. Then buy the new one in the states when you go back it will be way cheaper for sure.

I had to replace a cracked outer screen on an Imac here and the cost was about double of what it would have been in the US.
Double! Then I could fly to FL!
I need the new one before I sell older one, because I am using it. I don't want to be without a computer. But I will look at that site when I am get my mitts on a new one.

May 20, 2012
If you're not go to the US, maybe someone you know and trust is?

I'd offer, but we're not coming down until December :(

And I do understand the "want it now" :p
I don't know anyone going or returning soon.
I wish Apple had waited till Fall to release them. Then I wouldn't be doing foolish things, like trying to think of a reason I "need" to make a trip to FL.

May 20, 2012
I suspect I am correct. The very high prices of Apple products combined with high DR import duties and the desired profit margins of local resellers are against you on such a purchase.
The Apple MacBook Air is a fabulous machine IMO. The price is on the high side, but they just work and last a very long time. Mine is nearly three years old with never a hiccup.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
How's price in PR? I was always curious on pricing there. If things are same as in US, I can see one day making a trip and get few items and comeback.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
How's price in PR? I was always curious on pricing there. If things are same as in US, I can see one day making a trip and get few items and comeback.

My SIL looked into that, and found it was cheaper to fly to Miami. Go figure.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Go to PuntoMac

PuntoMac

You will pay around US$300 above the USA Apple price.
Which is not bad when you take into account ITBIS and freight.

May 20, 2012
Try searching here: Cecomsa - Cecomsa. They are Authorized Apple distributors in Santiago and Santo Domingo.
Thanks. They don't have the newest one. But Windeguy is sooooo correct! The older model is RD$96,775! At 41:1 that's US$2,360.37 or US$1061.00 more than Amazon with free shipping and no tax to FL. Hate to think what they would ask for the just released one!

Maybe I should go and buy two. I could probably sell the second one for enough extra to pay for my trip, but thats only if people actually pay that much here.

May 20, 2012
Go to PuntoMac

PuntoMac

You will pay around US$300 above the USA Apple price.
Which is not bad when you take into account ITBIS and freight.
Thank you Robert.
They have the same older model computer listed at US$1599 price, but found it didn't include taxes of additional US$256 though. So better price, but not latest model either!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

The price in San Juan is exactly the same as in the US. You can buy a Mac at Best Buy in SJ.

Last edited:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I bought an open box MacBook Pro 13" for usd900 in best buy (37000). (Not the retina). In DR that will cost you probable 70,000 pesos.

Jan 17, 2009
You can buy it on the Apple store and have it shipped to a ship forwarder in Miami. I may be wrong but computers don't pay duty taxes. A Macbook air is so light, that you won't have to pay more than a few bucks to get it here. As I mentioned on another thread, EncargoPaq charges $3.8 per pound all inclusive of taxes (no duties but laptops don't pay)