Anybody know cars, and understand the value here in the DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
I have edited this post cause I don't want anyone to think I'm selling a car here. I would like to speak to someone who understands the value of cars and prices here on the island. Please message me privately if you truly know. I need to sell mine because we are planning to move back to the states but I need a ballpark figure of how much. I have no idea.

Jen

cleverlemming

Jul 14, 2012
The prices in the online classifieds here are all over the map. Sometimes the cars don't even exist, the car is stolen, or the seller doesn't have the right to sell the car. I once found an excellent deal--a steal, really--on a Mercedes on SuperCarros or a site like it, and ended up swindled out of a deposit (with the help of a shady gringo realtor in Las Terrenas).

Every city has local people, mechanics usually, who sell cars part-time. These guys know what cars are really worth in your area. The trick is to find one that you can trust, which means referrals from at least two people who have used their services in the past. In the end, the value of my car ended up being close to what I thought it was, which was the KBB resale price (not the much lower dealer wholesale) in the USA plus a small island premium. I started by listing the car here and elsewhere, as well as putting a big sign on the back window. I had lots of local people look at it. I got outrageously low offers or promises to buy, pending financing. I confessed to a gringo friend who had lived here for ten years that I was getting frustrated enough to consider shipping the car back to the USA (for $750) and selling it in Florida. He said, don't do that, I know a guy who always has buyers and will sell it for you in a day. The seller, who owned a repair shop, negotiated me down a little to make room for his commission (around ten percent, I'm guessing), put a new battery in the car, and I'm supposed to be signing papers and getting cash later today. PM me if you need more info.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's very clever lemming, a good way to do it if you have the time and the inclination.

Some people do it from the sofa, others get out and do it.

I did a lot of legwork to buy mine a year ago - and it paid off.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Thank you everyone for the great suggestions!! Clever I think you just totally hit the nail on the head. We put the car up for sale word of mouth got an offer for 30,000 less than we thought was a good price.. We came back at them they agreed.. then brought it to a mechanic, long story short we made the worst move by allowing the guy to drive in the car "alone" with the mechanic, therefore could have said to the mechanic.. say something is really bad so we can ask for LESS.. They said the transmission wasn't changing into 5th gear. My husband just wants to let the car go.. Its his. I said no way.. Let's walk away from this.. this was our FIRST offer. So then we put the yellow sign up on the front and the back.. and we get stopped every 10 minutes while we are in the car. How much? Can they see? Etc.. It's a "beautiful" car.. but inside is not great.. and it has "some" issues.

So you said very low offers.. This has gotten me to the point in which I'm very close to nearly saying.. JUST TAKE it.. I mean walking away and losing a lot and feeling crappy thinking it deserves more. Online the prices for an excellent condition of this car is going for 70 and 80k MORE than what we were originally asking because we know it's not EXCELLENT.. So I think I am going to keep on pushing.

Would you all say that cars in Santo DOmingo go for MORE than here in San Fran de Macoris?

Jen

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Get a mechanic on your team.... commission him for the sale.

He'll be the salesman.

That was Clever's idea..... you need an ally

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Well tell us at least the make so people who could be bothered to contact you will. Lots of people have recently sold cars, and might have an better idea if they have sold this model specifically.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, maybe she has something we want to buy... there was this dude advertising here santa fe, i sent him several messages and no response... :(

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
We have the opportunity to bring from the US a 2010 Nissan Rouge Krom edition. Really nice car but I am not sure if it is worth the trouble or the expense.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
rogue? it looks like murano. is it murano but for american market? i kinda like it. not as much as qashqai but lately nissan is throwing nice looking cars.

wait. have we gotten off topic again?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We have the opportunity to bring from the US a 2010 Nissan Rouge Krom edition. Really nice car but I am not sure if it is worth the trouble or the expense.

Watch this thread before you decide...http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/133740-shipped-vehicle.html

dv8, the Rogue is the same as Qasqui (sp).... Rogue is the NoAmerican version (my understanding)
It's small.... I tried one - but you want small - Right?

Go to the dealer in POP..... up by the circle... nice people... L Kaufmann goes there

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it looks different than qashqai (front) to me but wiki says you are correct. i do not understand why the same car would be called different names in different countries and have slightly altered looks as well.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Global manufacturing and marketing.... the non- NoAm cars are different - built to a different standard with other (slight) differences, cosmetic and otherwise.

The grill may very well be different.

Good womans car

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
The Rogue as I understood is the smaller version of the Murano. I like the car but not sure about shipping it. I will watch the thread and then feel out the situation. Gas wise I am not sure if it would be considered economic though. For the OP when we sold one of our cars a couple of years ago we also had a trusted mechanic do it for us. Gave him a "commission" for his work. If (and I do mean if) we decide to ship the Rogue we will sell our other car and again use the same mechanic for the process.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Hijack away.... lol..... From what I'm learning here is that most Dominicans say Toyota is the ONLY way to go in this country.. Our car is German and they tell us there are no pieces here.. blah blah ... oh well.. I would say don't do the Nissan but thats just because we are taking a beating with this car.. and I will learn to listen and only buy toyota here ;)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
it looks different than qashqai (front) to me but wiki says you are correct. i do not understand why the same car would be called different names in different countries and have slightly altered looks as well.

the cosmetic differences have to do with safety requirements. in the USA, the cars need to have a reinforcement bar, a foam pad, and a bumper cover. the same arrangement is not required in certain markets, so the plastic parts might have different configurations. hence, the differences in grilles, etc

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hijack away.... lol..... From what I'm learning here is that most Dominicans say Toyota is the ONLY way to go in this country.. Our car is German and they tell us there are no pieces here.. blah blah ... oh well.. I would say don't do the Nissan but thats just because we are taking a beating with this car.. and I will learn to listen and only buy toyota here ;)

two reasons for Toyotas

1..you can't kill them

2..you can buy parts in the colmado.

Status
Not open for further replies.