Cost of Furnishings

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
What would be an average cost to outfit a two bedroom condo with furnishings?
I know it can be all over, but just a range. Normal furnishings, nothing fancy. All new. North Coast.
No Stove or fridge, included with the condo.

I'll throw a guess out there - 3 - 4 thousand USD?

two bedroom sets - double beds and a couple dressers for each room
kitchen table and chairs
living room set - couch, couple chairs, coffee table, couple lamps
couple 32" tv's
dishes and some small appliances

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I'll throw a guess out there - 3 - 4 thousand USD?

maybe if you buy cheap pine... a decent quality hand made bedroom set would be minimum 1k dollars. plus 500 for a nice mattress. that 3k just on bedrooms. nice dining set another 1k. decent sofa, even in ikea is about 500 dollars.

let me tell you: for two sofas, one sofa bed, two arm chairs and two small coffee tables, all from ikea, we paid 125k pesos. that's 3k dollars. and we went for one of the cheapest lines...

if you shop dominican, pine wood, typical stuff, then i guess you will be able to fit under 5k dollars. anything better and you are looking at 10k.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Yeah ur looking at around 8-10k unless u want cheap stuff/quality.

everything is very expensive here for furnishing.

May 29, 2006
I'd look into importing a container of "Household" goods with twice as much as you need then sell off half to recoup your costs.

You need a more detail breakdown of your needs to get people to price out each item. Are you looking for Queen, King or Full-sized beds? I'd go with US bed sizes to make linens easier to get.

One thing about the tropics is you have to avoid anything made with particle board. It swells in the humidity and warps. I'd go with local solid wood when possible and imported upholstery, mattresses.

May 29, 2006
I get my plates now at a local US restaurant supply company. I use "iti" brand. 9" dinner plates are around $2 each and I can buy one or a hundred. Because they are standard, they still match plates made 40 years ago. They're made for use...

Last edited:

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
I'd look into importing a container of "Household" goods with twice as much as you need then sell off half to recoup your costs.

This seems to be suggested often on this forum. When you sell back the other half of your goods, whether it be furniture or appliances, are you selling it to individuals on lapulga or actual stores?

May 29, 2006
Individuals or you get together with some other folks to split the cost of a container. You can also get "barrels" and "boxes" shipped for smaller items at a fixed cost. I think a barrel is about $150 from NYC with no weight limit.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Individuals or you get together with some other folks to split the cost of a container. You can also get "barrels" and "boxes" shipped for smaller items at a fixed cost. I think a barrel is about $150 from NYC with no weight limit.

Our shipper dropped off some of their boxes on Saturday, and he had a new giant size box that he offered us. BUT you have to pay $10 for the box, then $125 to ship it. I asked about a barrel - $35 to buy the barrel, then $100 to ship it. Might be slightly smaller than the giant box, but at least we will have a barrel for the finca. We use them to store extra water around the property, and to store unopened bags of dog food [we buy 3-4 bags each time we leave].

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

You need a more detail breakdown of your needs to get people to price out each item. Are you looking for Queen, King or Full-sized beds? I'd go with US bed sizes to make linens easier to get.

One thing about the tropics is you have to avoid anything made with particle board. It swells in the humidity and warps. I'd go with local solid wood when possible and imported upholstery, mattresses.
That is what I'll be doing, not by intent but because I have numerous really nice items that no longer fit how we live.

It is more costly to sort and store these items in FL than ship them here and then dispose.

In a month I'll be selling some high-end furnishings, electronics and appliances...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Thanks for all replies, big help.

check out IKEA page, just for rough idea. some stuff will be cheaper, some more expensive but you will know, more or less, what to expect. i'd definitely buy some stuff there: plates, glasses and other small items. decent quality and decent price.
P?gina principal - IKEA Santo Domingo

if you have time on your hands i suggest having some furniture made by a carpenter. much better quality at really good price. and you could have any design you want.