Excess Chickens and eggs

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
from DR1 news

Government seeks new markets for poultry

Minister of Industry and Commerce Jose del Castillo Savinon has announced that the Medina administration is helping producers to find new markets after Haiti banned poultry, meat and egg imports. He said 60,000 pounds of chicken would be exported to Venezuela, as part of payment for the PetroCaribe agreement.

Nevertheless, Minister of Foreign Relations Carlos Morales Troncoso is optimistic that the ban imposed by Haiti on poultry and egg sales will not affect bilateral relations because it is a circumstantial situation that will soon be overcome. "We expect them to meet the commitment to lift the ban. I can tell you, also, that on a personal level relations between Presidents Danilo Medina and Michel Martelly are excellent," as reported in El Dia.

According to reports, however, the Haitian cabinet, chaired by Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe met yesterday, Thursday 12 June and did not respond favorably to the request to revoke the ban.

Meanwhile, the Dominican Association of Poultry Producers says that the price of an egg in Haitian supermarkets increased from RD$10 to RD$17 after the ban. Association spokesman Miguel Lajara said that markets are now supplied with eggs imported from the United States.

A high-level Dominican delegation traveled to Haiti on Wednesday, 12 June for talks for the lifting of the ban. The delegation members included Minister of Industry and Commerce Jose del Castillo Savinon, director of CEI-RD Jean Alain Rodriguez, Minister of Agriculture Luis Ramon Rodriguez and Minister of Public Health Freddy Hidalgo. In an editorial today, Friday 14 June Diario Libre points out that no one from the Ministry of Foreign Relations was in the delegation.

The Haitian government announced its decision was based on the presence of avian flu in the Dominican Republic, but the Pan-American Health Organization clarified that while there is human influenza, there is neither avian nor swine flu in the Dominican Republic.

The ban was announced shortly after President Danilo Medina's meeting with President Michel Martelly in Haiti on the occasion of Environment Day, June 5. At the event, President Medina announced Dominican support for the reforestation of Haiti.

Poultry producers say that every week the border is closed to poultry exports costs producers have to find alternative markets for 4.9 million eggs, 750,000 lbs of poultry and one million pounds of salami, worth around RD$68.4 million.

En sala de espera decisi?n Hait? sobre veda - DiarioLibre.com

Gobierno eval?a buscar nuevos mercados? para exportar pollos - ElDia.com.do

Da?o a la imagen del pa?s - DiarioLibre.com

El Caribe ? Ministros haitianos ratifican rechazo a pollos y huevos de RD

Haiti - Health : The Dominican Republic awaiting the decision of the Government of Haiti - HaitiLibre.com, Haiti News, The haitian people's voice

How come the chickens and eggs are not "on sale" here in the DR>

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not understand it. clearly, dominicans are eating dominican chickens and eggs and they are no worse for this. and then we have the poorest nation on the hemisphere being all fussy about the food. breaking eggs, killing chickens, WASTING PERFECTLY GOOD FOOD. wtf? i'd say let them eat cake but cake is made using eggs... hmmm... let them eat cats?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
well there is a long thread on the Haiti forum about the boycott. The comments about what Haiti is doing would best be posted there.

I was just wondering if the DR has a surplus on their hands why they were not running a discount sale here in the country for a while to get rid of the stock til they find other markets? That would seem like the reasonable strategy. There are plenty of hungry folks here as well.

Feb 7, 2007
MA, you have lived here long enough to know that if a Dominican has a "price in mind" he won't lower the price because of the rotting stock. How much RE on the market unsold because owners were not willing to bargain?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, i agree with rubio. some sellers will rather have the stock rot away than sell at a lower price. just like some people will broke hundreds of eggs and waste perfectly good food out of sheer spite, without a single thought that tomorrow they'll be so hungry they'll be licking those eggs from the sidewalk, shells and all.

darn, i hate, hate, HATE wasting food.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I can understand that with real estate because there is a limited supply and does not have so much of a shef life but those chickens and eggs are going to rot. The producers don't have the capacity to freeze them. Instead of just losing the money, they could run a sale for a few weeks and get rid of their excess stock while they gear up to export to other markets, right?

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
MA, you have lived here long enough to know that if a Dominican has a "price in mind" he won't lower the price because of the rotting stock. How much RE on the market unsold because owners were not willing to bargain?

Completely untrue, the prices of bothe eggs and chicken have gone down dramatically, after the Haitian ban.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I bought two days ago and did not notice a price drop. There are no Price Reduced signs up .. But I only shop at the local little :a Cadena. Maybe there is a sale at Nacional?

Or maybe what you bought at "La Cadena" was surplus produce bought at prices established before the Haitian ban went into effect. One thing is certain, the buzz is out here in Santiago, about how cheap these products are right now.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I bought two days ago and did not notice a price drop. There are no Price Reduced signs up .. But I only shop at the local little :a Cadena. Maybe there is a sale at Nacional?

same here. maybe Taino might care to disclose the identities of some of the clearance outlets.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
same here. maybe Taino might care to disclose the identities of some of the clearance outlets.

My wife was at Super Mercado "Trebol" yesterday, she was going on and on about the low price of eggs at that place. Plus it was mentioned on the news about the prices going down on both products.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Maybe the importers of US eggs have a hand in this ... ??

yes, there are Haitian importers of US chickens and eggs. There are also now local Haitian producers of chickens and eggs. Are there not Haitian importers of Dominican chickens and eggs? Isn't that just "free" market competition? And I say "Free" because the US has heavy grain subsidies and the DR is now paying Venezuela with chickens.. something that Haitian government could not do.

Haitians say that during the embargo that Clinton put in place to restore Aristide, the DR did not honor it (which probably kept the country alive!) but that Dominican egg producers flooded PauP with eggs at a price far below production costs which collapsed the last Haitian commercial egg producer.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A bit off topic [ok, a lot], but I'll never understand the lack of egg refrigeration in DR, especially with the heat. Even in homes, I see them stacked on top of fridges instead of IN the fridge. Don't they go bad that much faster??? I mean, they must! Right???

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
AE, at home my mother also stores eggs outside the fridge. in the summer it is much hotter than here. i have no idea how this stuff can last. i put eggs in the fridge straight away. sometimes i get huevos criollos here: duck, goose and guinea. they are really great but highly suspicious. i put them inside a pot with water to check for floating but still i prefer to fry them rather than boil.

Feb 7, 2007
AE, yes I find it weird as well, the eggs are not even refrigerated in supermarkets! Maybe they feed some artificial preservers to the hen... who knows.

Feb 7, 2007
My aunt that lives in campo has a storage room where she stores the eggs... it's very fresh inside even if outside there's tremendous heat. Actually the whole house is built that there is abosolutely no need for an A/C even in August heat. It's a brick and mortar house, maybe the way they built the houses in the beginning of the 20th century is the reason. My other aunt's house in the same village, much more modern and more recently build (like 1980's) is much hotter inside.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
My wife claims, that when eggs are refrigerated, they tend to give more splash back when fried. Don't know if this has anything to doe with why people chose not to refrigerate eggs here.