Chickpea flour

Jan 17, 2009
Does anyone know where to buy it? I'm in the north coast but go frequently to Santiago and will soon need a trip to Santo Domingo.

I've been trying to make my own from dried chickpeas with my food processor. But darn, those chickpeas are really hard to work with. Either I find the chickpea flour locally or I'll have to get a good pair of earplugs to continue grinding my own.

Jan 17, 2009
Thanks. I'll try that store. I use it to make Faina, which is a combination of chickpea flour with equal parts of water, salt and swhite pepper, similar to the Italian farinata. I'm looking into other recipes as well, including mixing it with whole-what flour for bread and pizza crust. Much healthier than white flour and great taste.

Ha ha, I just looked at your Calentitta. pretty much the same!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
never had chickpea flour, but one day you should make yourself this Guyanese dish called channa. simple, but outrageous.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks. I'll try that store. I use it to make Faina, which is a combination of chickpea flour with equal parts of water, salt and swhite pepper, similar to the Italian farinata. I'm looking into other recipes as well, including mixing it with whole-what flour for bread and pizza crust. Much healthier than white flour and great taste.

Ha ha, I just looked at your Calentitta. pretty much the same!
Yes, it is actually Genoese farinata (fain?) originally - many of us are of Genoese origin.

May 29, 2006
You could also look for Gram Flour if you can find a place that sells Indian foods. Gram is made from chickpeas. Just don't get graham flour instead.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
You could also look for Gram Flour if you can find a place that sells Indian foods. Gram is made from chickpeas. Just don't get graham flour instead.
Gram flour (never heard of graham flour) and chickpea flour are the same thing. Although the place I mentioned is the only place in Santo Domingo where I have found it, another possibility would be Asiatico on 27 de Febrero/Privada - which also sells Indian ingredients.

Jan 17, 2009
Yes, of course but the cost of shipping is too high. For example for three 22 oz bags that cost me $12 with prime, I'd have to pay $16 to get it here because of the weight.

I'm going to call l'epicier to see how much they charge for a pound.

I finally managed to finish grinding two cups. It took forever, lots so noise and patience. Not something I'll do again.
Pizza and Faina for dinner tonight, or as we say in Uruguay 'pizza a caballo'

Thanks all for your responses.

Can't you get anything from Amazon shipped down there now?

Amazon.com: chickpea flour

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, of course but the cost of shipping is too high. For example for three 22 oz bags that cost me $12 with prime, I'd have to pay $16 to get it here because of the weight.
Good to know - I would do this as a last resort.

I'm going to call l'epicier to see how much they charge for a pound.
I googled them to see if there were contact details online and not only have they got a Feibu page, they have a blog!
www.facebook.com/LEpicierDeLOrient
L 'Epicier de L 'orient | Tradiciones con Sabor
Avenida Winston Churchill esquina Roberto Pastoriza, Santo Domingo
(809) 563-9661

I finally managed to finish grinding two cups. It took forever, lots so noise and patience. Not something I'll do again.
Pizza and Faina for dinner tonight, or as we say in Uruguay 'pizza a caballo'

Thanks all for your responses.
I get the Genoese connection now - lots of Genoese migration to Uruguay too - one of your former presidents had a surname that is very common in Gibraltar too.