motorbikes and where to buy CABARETE SOSUA area

B J

Feb 20, 2013
Hi
Im thinking about purchasing a brand new motor bike budget up to $40000RD or $1000us
i was looking on supercarros and saw a few brand new 'bottom of the line' bike e.g
[h=3]Force CG 200 2013 ( this only an example) 34000rd[/h]questions
can anyone recommend a great /honest dealer for a bike in this price range in cabarete / sosua?
what is process of registration?
how long after i purchase and register it can i take possession of it? what is the usual buying process here?
I have a lawyer- i really would like her to handle the transfer of title- do you recommend that??
insurance-liabiltity?? in case i hit or hurt someone... RECOMMENDATIONS costs. I only want third party and if i hurt someone. i do not need insurance to replace the value of my bike

thanks

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I got mine in Gaspar Hernandez in 2009 and it was a brand new 2010 model and I paid 29,000.00 for it.
These Chinese bikes are crap though, you get what you pay for. Pay double and get a Yamaha, if it is going to be your main transportation. I just got mine for sh!ts & giggles.
The current series Chinese bikes are vast improvemeents over those of years past.

They are fine IF you keep them out of the rain (riding is fine, storage in the elements all the time, not so much) and maintain them properly-good oil, grease the cables, joints and fittings, keep proper tire inflation, etc.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The current series Chinese bikes are vast improvemeents over those of years past.

They are fine IF you keep them out of the rain (riding is fine, storage in the elements all the time, not so much) and maintain them properly-good oil, grease the cables, joints and fittings, keep proper tire inflation, etc.

So pretty much the same extra care one must have with a Harley? LOL!~~:laugh:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
So pretty much the same extra care one must have with a Harley? LOL!~~:laugh:
It doesn't help Harley's.

When I ride with Harley guys, they make me ride in back.

Seems they're afraid if I get in front they may not be able to keep up.

Besides, somebody has to pick up the parts that shake and vibrate off their bikes.

Harley-Davidson: The most effective way to turn gasoline into noise without producing any horsepower.

:p

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Tire inflation? Do yourself a favour and toss the tires it comes with. Or, sell them as new to someone and buy better quality.
The quality is horrible!
Tires don't make that significant a difference on a light bike made for the street.

We're talking under RD$40,000. A decent Yamahammer is twice that.

One gets what one pays for, but my SPECIFIC point is that the quality of the recent series of Chinese bikes is far better than even 3 years ago. The value proposition on a Chinese vs. more expensive bike has narrowed greatly. I never said exceeded.

Not everyone will pay big bucks for a better bike. It's nice to know that you won't be flushing $$$ down the Pelosi when you buy a new Chinese bike. Not like before.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Chinese bikes will be stolen less too. Ladrones prefer Japanese!
Any bike, given lack of security, will get stolen.

BTW: only the larger Japanese bikes, generally those above 250cc, are made in Japan. The rest are made in China.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
The current generation of chinese motorbikes are based on the older suzuki and honda 125 to 250cc....the chinese bought the tools and design of the engines...the quality has improved a lot since. BMW builds the engine for the very expensive Dakar Motorbike in china.... My Japanese Yamaha C3 4 stroke, fuel injected, water cooled scooter I swore up and down was built in Japan...surprise surprise... Made in China...
Iphones...made in china. Macbook Air? made in china...
Even some of my not so cheap Carbon Fiber Freediving fins....made in china...
Go figure...

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
The chinese are already working on building bigger bikes....its not that far away when the time comes that they will build 750-1100 cc good looking cruisers...then you will see them in el Malecon, La Duarte, Villa Juana and all the rich kids will get ****ed because now the "chopos" got their own version of Harleys!!! Cant wait to see that day LMAO!!!

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Well Pichardo...they are gonna be a force to be reckon with......the poor will buy them in masses cause they are cheap...
next is cars...

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Btw Pichardo one quick question for you...whats your take on the Cabrera Region? any new projects coming to that area?
txs

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Btw Pichardo one quick question for you...whats your take on the Cabrera Region? any new projects coming to that area?
txs

Can't confirm nor deny anything, but let's just say RE in the DR is about to heat up come early 2014... Hot!

Don't look where there is "work" going on, but where new roads and certain upgrades are taking place...

The Pichardo

Spin

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
I know what you mean Pichardo, but since you posess some info, I was wondering what if any work is coming to the Cabrera area... (Maria Trinidad Sanchez Province), not Loma de Cabrera...

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
One of your main concerns in purchasing a motorcycle should be "availability of parts."

My girlfriend had a Chinese scooter that we could not find parts for anywhere on the island. Her seat broke...we could not find a new seat anywhere; the ignition switch broke...we could not find a new ignition anywhere...her electrical system got infected with a family of gremlins that could not be Exorcised even with a Catholic priest i brought over; her headlight broke...we could not find a new headlight anywhere on the island, etc.

Her next scooter we bought was a fuel injected 125cc Yamaha Zuma (called "BWS" in South America & DR). The Yamaha costs three times more. In 2.5 years, we have put 24,000 kilometers. I've driven it all over the island minus the south coast. I love it because with two people on it, we still get 83mpg. Two people! It's crazy...the gas mileage is nothing short of phenomenal. But the most important reason why we bought it was because i can order any part for it right off of Amazon.com and have it in the DR in 5-6 days (2-day shipping to Florida with Amazon.com Prime Membership). That's amazing.

In the end, its just like everyone here says..."you get what you pay for." This is true not only for motorcycles, but for food, drink, and women. My advice: pay a little more and get what you know your going to like riding years down the road. you want something that every time you climb on top of it, it makes you smile. Chinese will not make you smile after the honeymoon wears off.

Hope this helps.

Frank

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Everything is made in China! They are great at it! They are also great duplicators.
Apple is smart making their high end products in a country where the labour is less expensive. Many do this.

Massive difference between apple laptops made in China, compared to cheap motorcycles being created in China, with low quality.

the Chinese have just about turned all manufacturing on its head. they do not have to spend a lot of investment capital on R and D, since they just copy everything. so, you can spend 500 dollars buying a decent pair of headphones from Austria or Germany, and the Chinese blow them away with a pair that retails for 200.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
One of your main concerns in purchasing a motorcycle should be "availability of parts."

My girlfriend had a Chinese scooter that we could not find parts for anywhere on the island. Her seat broke...we could not find a new seat anywhere; the ignition switch broke...we could not find a new ignition anywhere...her electrical system got infected with a family of gremlins that could not be Exorcised even with a Catholic priest i brought over; her headlight broke...we could not find a new headlight anywhere on the island, etc.

Her next scooter we bought was a fuel injected 125cc Yamaha Zuma (called "BWS" in South America & DR). The Yamaha costs three times more. In 2.5 years, we have put 24,000 kilometers. I've driven it all over the island minus the south coast. I love it because with two people on it, we still get 83mpg. Two people! It's crazy...the gas mileage is nothing short of phenomenal. But the most important reason why we bought it was because i can order any part for it right off of Amazon.com and have it in the DR in 5-6 days (2-day shipping to Florida with Amazon.com Prime Membership). That's amazing.

In the end, its just like everyone here says..."you get what you pay for." This is true not only for motorcycles, but for food, drink, and women. My advice: pay a little more and get what you know your going to like riding years down the road. you want something that every time you climb on top of it, it makes you smile. Chinese will not make you smile after the honeymoon wears off.

Hope this helps.

Frank
All true, but it really depends on the price point and what someone can afford. If RD$40,000 is a real stretch for a person, no way RD$90,000 will work regardless of the quality.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The chinese are already working on building bigger bikes....its not that far away when the time comes that they will build 750-1100 cc good looking cruisers...then you will see them in el Malecon, La Duarte, Villa Juana and all the rich kids will get ****ed because now the "chopos" got their own version of Harleys!!! Cant wait to see that day LMAO!!!
Doubt it will ever happen.

Gas is the killer here, not just the price of a bike.

I see folks buying RD$50 to power their scoot all the time.

Big bikes that get 50mpg or worse are VERY expensive to operate by "typical" Dominican budgets.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
A lot of comments but not one answer to the OP's original question - where is a good dealer in Cabarete/Sosua and what is the registration process!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
A lot of comments but not one answer to the OP's original question - where is a good dealer in Cabarete/Sosua and what is the registration process!
1) They are all over.

2) DAFS

:classic: