Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Question About the Water

My husband and I just moved to the North Coast and we're a little bit confused on the water issue. We know you're not supposed to drink it (why? ... is it a case of bacteria?), but can we safely use it for washing dishes and/or cooking?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Regardless of whether your water comes from a well, cistern, truck, etc., it's not purified and is not potable. Many don't even use it for brushing their teeth.

As to what to use it for, you'll get several answers here. I use it to cook when it's something that will boil/cook for awhile. I use bottled water for coffee, for instance. I use bottled water to wash vegetables I'll eat raw [lettuce, tomatoes, etc.].

Bottled water is so cheap in DR , it doesn't pay to take a chance.

Administrator
    DR1.com

3. Likes bronzeallspice, Aguaita29 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the info. But how do you wash your dishes?

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LinaBean View Post
    Thank you for the info. But how do you wash your dishes?
    With tap water. I usually buy Dawn antibacterial dish detergent. Just make sure they drip dry before using them.

Administrator
    DR1.com

6. Likes Koreano liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I pour boiling water on the dishes and silverware after washing them in water from the faucet.

For drinking, I fill gallon bottles with water from the faucet and treat it with Purrissima. I also use this to brush my teeth

Even when you take precautions, don't be surprised if you have some problems at the start. Most people do.

8. Likes keepcoming, Koreano liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

We do exactly what AlterEgo mentioned. Bottled water is cheap.

I do not brush my teeth with tap water, but my wife does as do most Dominicans.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i only use bottled water for drinking (further cleaned by fridge's filter), making coffee, tea and some other stuff like jelly or bread/cakes. tap water for everything else, including brushing teeth and washing veggies. heck, i'm lying, often i do not wash vegetables at all. immunity through exposure

if you live in a house and have own cistern i suggest you drop a pill of cloro inside (the same used in swimming pools). if you want to wash your veggies in tap water use few drops of cloro or squeeze some lemon/vinegar in the water.

but as a newcomer you may have to be a bit more careful at the beginning. as ken said: some people get sick when they first arrive here.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

In the beginning we did not use tab water for anything other then washing things. We were so paranoid we either used boiled water or used small amount of bottled water to final rinse and then put the dishes away. Now about one year under our belt and tried to loosen up a little and started to use tab water to wash our teeth couple month back. I guess it wasn't good idea or bad luck because I had noticed we are consistently getting sick. Many common colds here and there, never ending lingering illness. So I decided to wash our cistern two days ago and we will put coleraine tablet every two months. And we will try again when everyone is 100%. At the beginning it makes sense to be over paranoid on every little things.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I've lived here for 6 years constantly and 10 years off and on...never got sick from the water...I always get mine from a bottle. I wash dishes, clothes and my nasty body with normal tap water but I won't drink it. My family and friends who have...I get to visit in the clinic as they fight off amoebas and parasites.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LinaBean View Post
    My husband and I just moved to the North Coast and we're a little bit confused on the water issue. We know you're not supposed to drink it (why? ... is it a case of bacteria?), but can we safely use it for washing dishes and/or cooking?
    You can`t drink it but you can use it to wash the dishes and cook things that will need to boil for a while.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast