Difference recaito, cilantro and cilantro ancho

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
Im confused about the whole coriander/cilantro issue. Which one is the normal 'coriander' and what exactly is the other one?

My husband says recaito (not sure about the spelling) is the normal coriander, but when I did a google search I found that both recaito and cilantro ancho are different names for culantro (I dont think we have that where I live??) which is not the same as cilantro/coriander.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Im confused about the whole coriander/cilantro issue. Which one is the normal 'coriander' and what exactly is the other one?

My husband says recaito (not sure about the spelling) is the normal coriander, but when I did a google search I found that both recaito and cilantro ancho are different names for culantro (I dont think we have that where I live??) which is not the same as cilantro/coriander.

i am not sure of the differences, but i know the similarities. they are all abominable.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Around where I live cilantro ancho is the one with the wide flat leaves, used more in soups and stews, and the other is called cilantro or recaito and they are both called verdura with a stick of celery thrown in.

Matilda

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Princesa777 said:
It depends what they call them where you come from. E.g. 'Coriander' in the UK is 'cilantro' in the US. Not sure which way Canada sways on this one :)

My husband says recaito (not sure about the spelling) is the normal coriander
Yes - recaito (also verdura, verdurita, cilantrico) is what is called fresh coriander in the UK (and 'cilantro' in the US), the herb that is slightly paler than flat-leafed parsley.

but when I did a google search I found that both recaito and cilantro ancho are different names for culantro (I dont think we have that where I live??) which is not the same as cilantro/coriander.
Cilantro ancho or recao (the latter not so common a name in DR) is what is called 'culantro' in some places - this is the more pungent herb that looks like dandelion leaves.

This explains the different names:
Herbs used in Dominican Cooking ? Dominican Cooking

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If you don't like coriander, you don't like blackeye peas. :)

coriander is fine; it is the leafy part that should be declared contraband. that thing you find in all Dominican meals, which makes fish taste like pork, taste like chicken, etc, etc.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I come before you with my 2 cents as a detester of cilantro, so take it with a grain of salt...(lol).
Cilantro is usually used for the leaf, while coriander is the seed.
In the UK it is always 'coriander' - fresh coriander or coriander leaves for the leaf, coriander seeds for the seeds, ground coriander for the spice.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Cilantro ancho is more pungent than cilantrico (recaito). I use both when I make sofrito.

May 29, 2006
The Salsa I used to make for a Mexican Restaurant, usually five gallons at a time. This makes a gallon:

1~#10 Can Petite Diced tomatoes or 100oz 1/4" diced fresh plum tomatoes
12~ garlic cloves
2~ 3-4" Red onions fine dice (1/8")
1~ Bunch of Cilantro, stems removed, minced.
2 ~ tsp salt
Juice of Two Limes

Buzz 1 cup of the diced tomatoes with the garlic in a food processor. Add in other ingredients. Let sit for about an hour before serving to let flavors combine. Add to Avocado pulp for a quick Guacamole.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The taste issue is a genetic thing and my understanding is about 10% of all people have the "soap" flavor sensitivity.

it actually makes me puke. literally. ate chilli con carne with cilantro, because a friend insisted i must. sick for two days. never again.

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
The Salsa I used to make for a Mexican Restaurant, usually five gallons at a time. This makes a gallon:

1~#10 Can Petite Diced tomatoes or 100oz 1/4" diced fresh plum tomatoes
12~ garlic cloves
2~ 3-4" Red onions fine dice (1/8")
1~ Bunch of Cilantro, stems removed, minced.
2 ~ tsp salt
Juice of Two Limes

Buzz 1 cup of the diced tomatoes with the garlic in a food processor. Add in other ingredients. Let sit for about an hour before serving to let flavors combine. Add to Avocado pulp for a quick Guacamole.
No peppers of any kind? No heat??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
chili con carne with cilantro? surely, you jest!

unfortunately not... that woman was as crazy as they get in all aspects of her bahaviour, btw. my chili con carne is virtually herbless, i only use comino and plenty of chili flakes.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
unfortunately not... that woman was as crazy as they get in all aspects of her bahaviour, btw. my chili con carne is virtually herbless, i only use comino and plenty of chili flakes.

there we part company. gotta have a little garlic and onion, and i use 3 different types of chili powder. cumin, of course, is a must, or it ain't chili.