I would not make 2 days on Survivor!

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
We supposed to have 24 hr electricity today my wife said power was out for 10 hrs. It's like they knew we we were getting our inversor serviced. As soon as we put the thing back in. Boom we had power.

Forget 2 days 10hrs was too long...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We had no electricity or running water for 4 days and I almost had a breakdown!
No Dr1! No CSI's?!
It would have been better if the pool pump didn't breakdown last week and it looked like the water might get up and walk away or pull me under. .....oh the tragedy!

This will happen from time to time. Par for the course especially in lower priority areas. Best to plan for it with a good generator and a cistern for when it happens in the future.

This will happen from time to time. Par for the course especially in lower priority areas. Best to plan for it with a good generator and a cistern for when it happens in the future.

The funny part of it was b/c of the new badass generator with 8 new batteries that caused something to blow. We have 2 inverters with 20 batteries...
I knew i shouldn't have left the new A/C on for 48 hours with multiple other things...I just couldn't help myself!!!
Now i am paranoid to leave anything on!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As I mentioned before. I do not know anyone else running A/C from inverters. That will cause you endless grief here.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
In my house everything is connected except AC and our oven. Anything elae would run on battery if we lose power.

What about the split a/c that say they are for inverters? They intrigue me - could one of those run on an inverter?

That is the one that we got, i will update on the progress of it. It was an electrical thing, i know nothing about this kinda stuff but our electrician had to build something bigger.
So i assumed since it said inverter......that it would be connected to it.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
keep us posted on running your ac. Always smile when posters here say they are on a 24 hour circuit with the electric company. I believed it too when they told me. Thought, ah, nothing to worry about any more.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
"when in Rome, do as the Romans do"

Going 4 days without electric and running water can be traumatic for non natives who have been accustomed to the privileges of 24/7 services in their home countries.

The saying of "when in Rome, do as the Romans do" is a very appropriate suggestion to survive in the Dominican environment.

PJT will select one matter as an example to demonstrate this.

A non native can be married to habits, technology, and gadgets suited to his/her home country and when relocating to the DR it is understandable they want to have these same comforts. Air conditioning is one of these comfort items and most people with a good income can enjoy this privilege. Nevertheless, the previous posts example the costs (financial & mental) of maintenance and loss of service of this comfort item. There are of course, people who do have a real valid reason, health wise, to have the service. Yet, there are people so connected to A/C they will not consider to change their habits or even think of options. However, the unstability of electrical service in this country forces them to continue to sustain the continuity of their A/C comfort through investment of invertors and/or generators capable to keep up with the demands of A/C.

PJT had mulled the A/C matter with his Dominican born wife among many other matters prior to making the transition to the DR. We followed her advice and the home was designed to have glass shutter windows, Dominican style, with screening to allow maximum amount of natural air circulation throughout the home less the mosquitos. All rooms have ceiling fans and there are few table fans available to allow isolated comfort zones. There is one small A/C unit in the living room that is used once or twice a year when there is no breeze and the heat is really unbearable. PJT does have a generator to serve as backup during a power outage. Because he is not dependant on A/C the generator is able to provide service to the whole house to include all the fans running without problem, should it be needed. His electric energy bill is about half of those neighbors who use A/C. He has learned to sleep without A/C, using fan comfort only when needed and the open windows are a great assist.

It has been PJT's observation some homes and apartments settled by the A/C lovers lack the openness of his. It is especially noticible they have the sliding windows that limit free air entry and exit to less than half the window frame. It is a good design to maintain the A/C cool within the home, but hell during blackouts. Once the heat enters it is hard to get out.

PJT's suggestion is to find ways to open up the apartment / home to allow more air circulation, invest in ceiling fans to assist comfort and have less impact and stress upon inverters and generators. This investment will pay for itself in the long run by lowering energy costs and dependency on A/C.

Regards,

PJT

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
What about the split a/c that say they are for inverters? They intrigue me - could one of those run on an inverter?

Those a/c's use technology called "inverter" which has nothing to do with if they can be used with inverters. Although they generally use less electricity.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
running AC on the inversor will not only kill your batteries but also an inversor. and that's not a cheap affair to replace...

personally i do not understand the air con needs, i hate it with a vengeance and it really bothers me. i hate using air con and i have been refusing to have it installed in our bedroom. i even hate fans. the heat bothers me a lot less than noise and the air blowing from the fan...

in any case, if you insists on air con at all times i suggest investing in a generator and running your AC unit from that. ot, even better, invest in solar power altogether. the supply is not likely to get better, in fact many areas with previously 24/7 power now suffer blackouts. solar power system will cost a lot of money but will give you total independence from electricity suppliers. add well to that and you will be self-sufficient it terms of water as well.

another think for you to remember for now is taht you have to plan your day better. never ever use washing machine with inversor. do the laundry when you have power. since you and wife do not work you have more time and can adjust to the power supply schedule for now. do not use hairdryers with inversor either, it is better to venture to the salon, let the sun dry your hair or wash/dry hair when street power is on.

PJT is right: those who arrive here think they cannot do without this or that. you can and you will, like just now, when you had a complete power failure. you will learn how to manage. for instance i love washing in hot water. so when there is no power (and water heater is off) i simply boil a big pot of water and wash using bucket and a small jug. in hot water, but sans shower comforts.

btw, i would love to hear PJT talk about himself in third person :)