Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default deaths of children in DR

following the deaths of 3 children found locked up in an abandoned car listin diaro reports:
    En sólo seis meses, 38 menores han muerto en situaciones por las que nadie paga - listindiario.com

in the first 6 months of this year there were 38 deaths of children of various ages, as the results of accidents: mainly drownings. there was no prosecution or punishment in those cases.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not surprised by the drownings at all. Little kids just wander by our lane to the beach all the time! It is not a calm beach!
    I have also have not seen people protect their pools with fences or anything. Weird to me, seems kind of an obvious thing to do with lil kids around!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i know a dominican girl who's little brother (then aged 6) drowned in a river on a family day out. she's now scared of water and cannot swim. has two sons who both love water, going to the beach/river and fooling around there. guess what? cannot swim either. she's too afraid to let them learn how to swim because then they may drown. logical, no?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be traumatizing, oh dear!!! For her sake I hope those kids stay away from water or learn to swim from somewhere else!!!!!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Some time ago there was a thread about finnisch mothers getting Baby Boxes. In Finland also every kid learns to swim at school if they already don't, and that's in a country where the most lakes are frozen 2-3 months a year.

6. Likes Harleysrock, artistdani liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Salsafan View Post
    Some time ago there was a thread about finnisch mothers getting Baby Boxes. In Finland also every kid learns to swim at school if they already don't, and that's in a country where the most lakes are frozen 2-3 months a year.
    the caribbean is a strange place. water, water, everywhere, yet the inhabitants swim like stones.

8. Likes Tacaño, Criss Colon, Givadogahome liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The best way to prevent a kid from drowning is to show him/her how to swim, at least how to swim under water ! That will save lives.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by charlise View Post
    The best way to prevent a kid from drowning is to show him/her how to swim, at least how to swim under water ! That will save lives.
    that works just dandy when you know how to. most caribbean souls have no idea what it is to swim.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

For several years I lived on a small island just of the Caribbean coast of Panama, Raul the fisherman of the village is 69 years old doesn't know how to swim but goes out every day miles offshore in a 15' boat. Has lived all his live 30' away from the beach.
    When my daughter was one month old I started letting her float in the ocean, she swims like a fish now. The other day she had a cramp while in the pool. She didn't panic and made her way back to the stairs.
    Panic is what drowns most people, they forget or don't know that one can float.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i think most of those deaths could be prevented if parents had an ounce of brains and actually watched their kids. an outing to the river/ocean/pool is an opportunity to drink and talk. often no one watches the kids at all. and then, of course, is living kids with a burning candle on because "they are scared of the dark" while mother takes a hike to colmado or chats with neighbours. yes, because it is so much better to have them burn rather than cry...

teaching how to swim... it's not that easy, i think, if parents have no money and cannot swim themselves... i noticed that often kids learn from each other but then you still need to supervise them at all times...

13. Likes Wishing you well liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast