deaths of children in DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know a dominican girl who's little brother (then aged 6) drowned in a river on a family day out. she's now scared of water and cannot swim. has two sons who both love water, going to the beach/river and fooling around there. guess what? cannot swim either. she's too afraid to let them learn how to swim because then they may drown. logical, no?

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Some time ago there was a thread about finnisch mothers getting Baby Boxes. In Finland also every kid learns to swim at school if they already don't, and that's in a country where the most lakes are frozen 2-3 months a year.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Some time ago there was a thread about finnisch mothers getting Baby Boxes. In Finland also every kid learns to swim at school if they already don't, and that's in a country where the most lakes are frozen 2-3 months a year.

the caribbean is a strange place. water, water, everywhere, yet the inhabitants swim like stones.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
The best way to prevent a kid from drowning is to show him/her how to swim, at least how to swim under water ! That will save lives.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The best way to prevent a kid from drowning is to show him/her how to swim, at least how to swim under water ! That will save lives.

that works just dandy when you know how to. most caribbean souls have no idea what it is to swim.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
For several years I lived on a small island just of the Caribbean coast of Panama, Raul the fisherman of the village is 69 years old doesn't know how to swim but goes out every day miles offshore in a 15' boat. Has lived all his live 30' away from the beach.
When my daughter was one month old I started letting her float in the ocean, she swims like a fish now. The other day she had a cramp while in the pool. She didn't panic and made her way back to the stairs.
Panic is what drowns most people, they forget or don't know that one can float.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think most of those deaths could be prevented if parents had an ounce of brains and actually watched their kids. an outing to the river/ocean/pool is an opportunity to drink and talk. often no one watches the kids at all. and then, of course, is living kids with a burning candle on because "they are scared of the dark" while mother takes a hike to colmado or chats with neighbours. yes, because it is so much better to have them burn rather than cry...

teaching how to swim... it's not that easy, i think, if parents have no money and cannot swim themselves... i noticed that often kids learn from each other but then you still need to supervise them at all times...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
For several years I lived on a small island just of the Caribbean coast of Panama, Raul the fisherman of the village is 69 years old doesn't know how to swim but goes out every day miles offshore in a 15' boat. Has lived all his live 30' away from the beach.
When my daughter was one month old I started letting her float in the ocean, she swims like a fish now. The other day she had a cramp while in the pool. She didn't panic and made her way back to the stairs.
Panic is what drowns most people, they forget or don't know that one can float.

how many times have you ever seen any caribbean national do anything in the Olympics in swimming?

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
The three kids dying in an accident is tragic, but like the article says...
En esos casos, realizan una investigaci?n para determinar las causas de la muerte de los menores, y la jurisdicci?n a la que se remite el resultado de la investigaci?n es quien se encarga de las sanciones, explic?.
Seg?n la magistrada, la investigaci?n de la muerte de un ni?o, requiere un proceso igual al que se maneja con un adulto: se utilizan las declaraciones de un m?dico legista, as? como tambi?n las declaraciones de los padres, y luego se procesa de forma legal siempre y cuando haya pruebas.

If the coroner determines it was accidental, who are we to judge them?

Electrocutions, drownings and falls are barely acceptable depending on circumstances IMO.

Rest in peace

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that's the deal, omar. the coroner determines the cause of death was drowning. there is no investigation to whether the kid fell in the water or maybe was pushed. there is no investigation to whether parents left the candle on next to the bed accidentally or intentionally. there is no investigation to see whether parents conveniently placed a small baby with the access to bare cables.

a comment under this article seems to follow my line of thought as well. i think that some deaths are truly result of stupidity of the parents. but i also think in some cases they knew...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
that's the deal, omar. the coroner determines the cause of death was drowning. there is no investigation to whether the kid fell in the water or maybe was pushed. there is no investigation to whether parents left the candle on next to the bed accidentally or intentionally. there is no investigation to see whether parents conveniently placed a small baby with the access to bare cables.

a comment under this article seems to follow my line of thought as well. i think that some deaths are truly result of stupidity of the parents. but i also think in some cases they knew...

i once was having a few beverages in a roadside watering hole, and two 20 somethings came in with two toddlers. once they started guzzling the Presidente, the kids became an afterthought. at one point, a guy had to jump off his stool to haul back one of the kids, who was about to run into the street.

as you point out, dv8, had this kid been struck and killed by a speeding vehicle, the coroner would probably characterize it as death by accident. in another jurisdiction, the findings would be something like criminal negligence.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
how many times have you ever seen any caribbean national do anything in the Olympics in swimming?

Different type of swimming. We don't have Olympic type pools or organized swimming competitions everywhere as they do in The US for instance, but I do know lots of people who would probably kick Michael Phelps' @ss swimming in the open ocean. I learned at Camu river, floating down the river on a platano tree and having my grandpa sit in the deep and me attempting to swim to him. My kids learned at the local YMCA here in The US, all very organized, etc...I'm a better swimmer.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Is Conani the DR equivalent of Children's Services/Child Protection, or would it be one of the Children and Youth Fiscal?as?

Yesterday's List?n did a vox pop on parental negligence:
Sondeo: Padres deber?an ser condenados por la justicia si un hijo muere por negligencia - listindiario.com

Monday's DR1 News reported the horrific tragedy of the children in the car:
Three children suffocate in parked vehicle
Three cousins died when they got inside a parked Toyota Camry but couldn't get out. They were playing near their home in Villa Fundacion, San Cristobal. As reported in El Dia, the tragedy began around noon on Saturday 15 June when 2-year old Luis Amauris, his 4-year old brother Yohansen and their cousin 3-year old Riner got into the parked car, which the owner was trying to sell, in a lot near their home. The children were missing until detected in a car by a man identified as Candido. As reported, their grandmother had warned their parents who left the children locked inside their house, that the children should be taken to a day care center. Police are investigating the circumstances of the deaths. The mothers of the three children were identified as Carolina Galan (Yohansen and Luis) and Johanna Guzman.
El Caribe ? Muerte de tres menores genera confusi?n entre familiares
DR1 - Daily News Monday, 17 June 2013

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Al Campanas once said, "Blacks Can't Swim".
The best example of how dominicans "Watch" their children, came from Santiago several years ago.
There was an article in the "Dailies" here that said that a woman's daughter had drowned in a canal near her house.
The mother was especially distraught, because, her two other children had both drowned in that same canal two years before!
I hate to go to "AI,s" on weekends when all the Dominicans go.
The parents get drunk, while their kids try to stay afloat in the pool.
I once, before I learned that it's, "No Es Mi Culpa" about everything here,pointed out the danger of little kids in a big pool, to a dominican parent.
She said not to worry, her daughter was holding on to the edge, so she couldn't drown.
Then right back to her "Jonny Walker", and her "Celular"!!!!!
How about when you see a bunch of little kids standing in the back of a truck.
I pointed this out to my wife, who explained that it was alright, because there were adults in the truck to protect them!!!
"DUMinican Logic"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yeah, the mother of the two dead boys from the car (age 22) said to the police: two have died but i still have one left and i am pregnant again, i have to keep on working.