Sosua Beach Renovation Planned

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]Last Tuesday at the City Hall of Sos?a a meeting was held at which all owners of Casetas (beach bars and shops) on the beach were invited. There were also owners of hotels, restaurants and representatives of the church present. The meeting was organized by the Director of Tourism, Lorenzo Sancasani and the mayor Ilana Neumann of Sos?a. At this meeting, they announced that the beach will get a facelift and that above all the souvenir shops will move to a new to build shopping plaza.[/h] [h=5]Casetas Playa Sos?a[/h]
[h=5]The new plaza with shopping center will be constructed at the entrance to the beach. This statement by the Director caused a lot of turmoil and panic among the beach shopkeepers present. Lorenzo Sancasani tried to calm down the shop keepers by saying that all entrepreneurs have the right to a new shop. The mayor said that this is a unique opportunity to make the beach more attractive for tourism and to adapt to the demands of the discerning tourists. We must be thankful, as the mayor said, that our president Danilo Medina and the Director of Tourism Mr Lorenzo Sancasani give us these new opportunities. The plans for the restructuring of the beach and the construction of the plaza are presented in the lobby of City Hall. The intention is to start the work soon and to complete it in 10 months[/h]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
makes no sense to me. at the moment in order to get to the beach you must pass those trinkets selling pests. some turistas may stop, look and buy. move all of them into a small plaza and one would have to enter it specifically to make a purchase. i just do not see it happening unless the plaza will also house bars, restaurants and working girls, something more appealing than cheap chinese memorabilia...

Hm, well lets see how this turn out.

First they removed the annoying giftshops- I didnt say anything, because i never buy anything.
Then they removed the annoying beachbars- I didnt say anything, because i never stops there anyway.
Then they removed the restaurants, well i use to eat at home-so it is no loss for me anyway.

Then they closed every entrance to the beach and sold it of to a AI- Now i had no beach anymore, and noone were left to protest.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
This is going to get interesting, very interesting! I wouldn't take this mall at face value at all. I believe something else is behind this. Can some long time dr1's us if they ever tried to remove the beach business's ?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
This is going to get interesting, very interesting! I wouldn't take this mall at face value at all. I believe something else is behind this. Can some long time dr1's us if they ever tried to remove the beach business's ?
The parking lot would be a good option. But good luck getting rid of those ugly shacks. It would be nice to see the Mayor address the more important issues like the flooding "They can't even figure out how to stop the flooding on the corner of PC and city hall street" ;), the holes in the sidewalks, the traffic (Moto Conchos) etc. before starting a war that they will loose anyway.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Sosua Bay Hotel was behind an attempt some years ago. It wanted the businesses to move into the shops it was building along the access street. The push back by the vendors was so strong that the plan was dropped. There would be hell to pay in Sosua if they tried to put them out of business.

This is not the first place in the country where this was done. It has also been done at other beaches. I don't think there is some secret plan to get rid of the businesses. The only thing that I think might prevent it from happening is lack of money.

Personally, I'll be sorry to see the businesses in a mall. I think they add to the charm of the beach. Putting the businesses in a mall will, to me, make the beach sterile.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The parking lot would be a good option. But good luck getting rid of those ugly shacks. It would be nice to see the Mayor address the more important issues like the flooding "They can't even figure out how to stop the flooding on the corner of PC and city hall street" ;), the holes in the sidewalks, the traffic (Moto Conchos) etc. before starting a war that they will loose anyway.

Dead right! I would much rather see the town tidied up than have some soul-less shopping mall.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i normally b**ch about those dirty shacks :) but i think in sosua they have their place. current location is good for business ("welcome to my shop, my fren") and for passers by (they can keep on the other side of the road in not interested and they are not bothered). the shacks are still shacks but they are decently kept and painted.

sosua does not need a mall. is pichi reading this? :) no more malls! sosua needs a good cleaning company to maintain beach area nice, rubbish free and neatly looking.

however, i wonder who owns the land where those small shops are? what is behind them? what is the plan for that solar?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Boy do they go about things backwards around here. Some areas of town are in desperate need of some cleaning and roadwork. Has anyone really looked around at the state of things away from that end of PC and the beach? Its pretty bad.
So, they move the shops but leave the bars and restaurants? Slowly but surely, they will kill this town. The Sosua we all know, with its charm and character....will sadly be a thing of the past.....void of tourists....just a few sad sack expats wandering around aimlessly.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Boy do they go about things backwards around here. Some areas of town are in desperate need of some cleaning and roadwork. Has anyone really looked around at the state of things away from that end of PC and the beach? Its pretty bad.
So, they move the shops but leave the bars and restaurants? Slowly but surely, they will kill this town. The Sosua we all know, with its charm and character....will sadly be a thing of the past.....void of tourists....just a few sad sack expats wandering around aimlessly.
Amen brother

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I think the land the vendors are on, is owned by the gov't? The land behind them right up to Rt 5 is owned by a Dominican family. I heard just one family, but it could be more then one.

I think it's a good idea. If done right, it will make the beach more attractive. You're not going to attract more tourists by leaving the shacks.

That whole place, from the water line to the road could be one heck of a park, with a few restaurants, some vendors, amphitheater, beach volleyball, gazebos, maybe a little stone chapel for gringo weddings, etc etc. But that won't happen because the land behind the shacks is more valuable for "other" uses.

May 29, 2006
This project pops up about once every three years, causes a big stir, and when they find out it can't be done for free it's forgotten about for another three years.

I believe all of the land between the beach and the highway was granted to the Jewish refugees when El Batey was founded. Someone who has a business on the beach would know better, but I don't think you can actually buy land on the beach because it's held in trust by an association, who are in charge of renting lots.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
It almost sounds like what they did at Playa Grande........all the vendors centralized in a "square" with new casitas adjacent to the parking lot.

Wuwu

Oct 3, 2012
I like that vision. Have no opinion on whether it can actually be implemented as I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about Sosua as most who post here. But I just have to say that the constant attention from vendors on the beach are a huge turnoff for me. I would be much more likely to buy something if there was a separate mall area that I could go into to browse as opposed to getting approached walking by every single shop as I'm trying to relax for the day on the beach.

I think the land the vendors are on, is owned by the gov't? The land behind them right up to Rt 5 is owned by a Dominican family. I heard just one family, but it could be more then one.

I think it's a good idea. If done right, it will make the beach more attractive. You're not going to attract more tourists by leaving the shacks.

That whole place, from the water line to the road could be one heck of a park, with a few restaurants, some vendors, amphitheater, beach volleyball, gazebos, maybe a little stone chapel for gringo weddings, etc etc. But that won't happen because the land behind the shacks is more valuable for "other" uses.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
What "discerning tourists" is the mayor talking about. I have seen quite a few tourists in Sosua but no even one that I would describe as discerning. Discerning - "having good taste, good judgment, keen insight and perceptive". Did the mayor mistake Ken for a tourist?????????

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the shops are not the problem - its the way the stall holders pester, maybe they should use the money to send them to business school ( I am half joking)

May 29, 2006
My thinking is if there are real buildings, there will be far fewer of them with much higher rents. Less competition and higher rents seems like it would lead to higher prices for the tourists. As much as I hate how everything is the same on the beach and they are just shacks, the competition keeps the prices down except for the suckers and people with the AI bands..