how to use western union?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
forgive me my essential stupidity but i have never used those services and i have no idea how to. a friend from USA will be sending me money for this damn ring.

what does she need? my name and cedula number? or just name? just cedula? any other details?
i want her to send dollars and i want to receive dollars too, is that possible? do you have to stress the transaction is to be done in dollars or is it automatic? or can i only receive pesos?
who pays the rate? her while sending? or is it discounted from the amount sent?
what do i need to pick up the money? cedula? any other document?
when can i pick up the money? the next day? can i do it few days later if i do not have time to go to WU?

thanks for any help.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
you can receive in pesos, or dollars. the sender specifies how they want it sent.

you only send to a specified name, and country. you can also specify a city. you will get a receipt number with 11 digits, which you will convey to the recipient, who will write it on the recieving form

BE ABSOLUTELY SURE NAMES ARE PROPERLY SPELLED. if one letter is wrong, the sender has to start all over again, because they will not release the money

in the event this information does not help, just stop any chica you see on a passola. she will be an authority on the subject.

by the way, you need some ID to receive, but not to send.

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
Imagine yourself going to a Western Union agent and ask them the questions yourself.

o_O how to find an agent?

Imagine yourself going to their website to look it up, as a matter of facts you might as well see if you can contact them by phone.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The sender can do everything online at the Western Union webpage. You provide your name exactly as spelled on your cedula and cedula number to the sender. Take yourself and your cedula to the nearest Western Union pickup office to receive your cash. Also inform the sender if you want to receive USD or pesos.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The sender can do everything online at the Western Union webpage. You provide your name exactly as spelled on your cedula and cedula number to the sender. Take yourself and your cedula to the nearest Western Union pickup office to receive your cash. Also inform the sender if you want to receive USD or pesos.

really, online? by credit card, i presume? cool, thanks!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
really, online? by credit card, i presume? cool, thanks!

yes, the sender can use a credit card to send you cash. The sender needs to open up a WU online account but it may be a lot easier for the sender than traveling to a WU office.

SultanofSwing

Jun 22, 2012
She needs to fill out the form from the U.S. with your name exactly as it appears on your Cedula. She does not need your cedula number. She needs to send you the MTCN number in order to receive the money.

When you go to the Western Union, the form you fill out will be your name, the senders name, the Origen of the wire, the amount and the MTCN number.
You need all of this information to receive the money.
When your friend sends the funds, she needs to state that she wants it delivered in U.S. dollars. She will pay the fee for sending the Western Union on her end. Usually it can be picked up the same day but if you can't get there they will hold it. You need to also state at the Western Union here that you want it in U.S. dollars.
I've received payments here and haven't had any problems.

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
yes, the sender can use a credit card to send you cash. The sender needs to open up a wu online account but it may be a lot easier for the sender than traveling to a wu office.

be aware that it takes time to actually get that transfer being approved! Be aware that if you really need that amount of money and you'll stress if you don't receive it that you better don't do it online!

They declined my payment and i hat to wait 5 working days to get it back on my card!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sultan, gorgon, bird: thank you so much.

sender has credit cards and little time, i believe so it makes sense to do all this online. i will pass her this info along with my details...

to add: thanks, tacano, i will also pass her your note.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
i don't believe the op mentioned that she wasn't sending cash. what if the sender has no credit card?

If the sender has a checking account they can do the transaction online also but I believe it takes a little longer to verify the account.

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
imagine yourself being super helpful :)

Come on man, it's 2013! You're browser is open on dr1.com and you're trying to tell me you couldn't open an other browser?

Por ejemplo, this guy is giving you the next advice:

by the way, you need some ID to receive, but not to send.

While it happened to me twice that I couldn't send money because I didn't bring my ID with me. But maybe my advice to actually contact them yourself was wrong. My bad.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
sultan, gorgon, bird: thank you so much.

sender has credit cards and little time, i believe so it makes sense to do all this online. i will pass her this info along with my details...

to add: thanks, tacano, i will also pass her your note.

Using a credit card the sender can probably get the transaction done online quite quickly and you can have your cash before mid-day today.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
She needs to fill out the form from the U.S. with your name exactly as it appears on your Cedula. She does not need your cedula number. She needs to send you the MTCN number in order to receive the money.

When you go to the Western Union, the form you fill out will be your name, the senders name, the Origen of the wire, the amount and the MTCN number.
You need all of this information to receive the money.
When your friend sends the funds, she needs to state that she wants it delivered in U.S. dollars. She will pay the fee for sending the Western Union on her end. Usually it can be picked up the same day but if you can't get there they will hold it. You need to also state at the Western Union here that you want it in U.S. dollars.
I've received payments here and haven't had any problems.

two errors here. one is that you do not have to tell the cashier how much money was sent. secondly, you cannot specify, on the receiving end, how you want the money. if the sender specified that it be received in pesos, the receiver cannot say he or she wants it in dollars, because the sender's fee is different, depending upon the currency.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Your name and your telephone number.
She then tells you amount sent and gives you the WU number.
When you pick it up they ask for cedula for iD and will ask you your phone number.
If in dollars ask for money in pesos as WU often have fake dollar bills

Matilda

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Come on man, it's 2013! You're browser is open on dr1.com and you're trying to tell me you couldn't open an other browser?

Por ejemplo, this guy is giving you the next advice:

While it happened to me twice that I couldn't send money because I didn't bring my ID with me. But maybe my advice to actually contact them yourself was wrong. My bad.

this guy has sent western union a gazillion times, and never provided id to SEND. to receive; obviously.