Public Pools?

cacobaka

Mar 14, 2010
Is there such thing as public pools in Puerto Plata? If so where, and what is the entrance fee for children and adults?

Thank you!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Is there such thing as public pools in Puerto Plata? If so where, and what is the entrance fee for children and adults?

Thank you!

some hotels have pools that the public can use, such as Puerto Plata Beach Resort. the entrance fees are relatively insignificant, and pale in comparison to the hospital fees you will have to incur in the event that you ingest a spoonful of the water.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i forgot to mention there are few more pools in the city, adjacent to restaurants (in costambar and in the palms or the hills): you have to consume in order to use. in costambar the consumption requirement is, unfortunately, low so every weekend the pool is full of chivos who but a burger between 6 people and are free to pee in the pool. hopefully the management will start charging per person to use the pool and will get rid of that. palms/hills is more posh and you may have to fork out more for the use of their pool.

B J

Feb 20, 2013
i forgot to mention there are few more pools in the city, adjacent to restaurants (in costambar and in the palms or the hills): you have to consume in order to use. in costambar the consumption requirement is, unfortunately, low so every weekend the pool is full of chivos who but a burger between 6 people and are free to pee in the pool. hopefully the management will start charging per person to use the pool and will get rid of that. palms/hills is more posh and you may have to fork out more for the use of their pool.

hi
id love clear directions to
palm hills ( nearest land mark)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i sent you a PM. this place is as easy to find as it can be, it is a landmark itself :) as you drive from sosua to POP on the last, main stretch of the road you will see on your left huge houses on the hills. just ask to be let out at the entrance. you will have to cross the road so keep your eyes peeled.
coming back is even easier, just walk to the road and stop any carro publico or guagua.

i do not know if they will let anyone in. they have restaurant, club, pool, tennis courts and other stuff.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

chivos??? i love it!!! may i borrow it?

i was told that in one pool in costambar, some chivo (see, i'm making use of it already) jumped in the pool in his street clothes. management told him he had to take his clothes off, so he did so, IN THE POOL. well, his shirt got caught up in the circulation pumps, and the pool was out of commission for months. they decided to scrap the idea, but gave it another shot. well, some guy, or girl, promptly decided it was an easier idea to take a dump in the pool, rather than go to all the trouble of getting out, and going to the john. drain the pool, one more time...

still looking for a public pool?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
chivos??? i love it!!! may i borrow it?

i was told that in one pool in costambar, some chivo (see, i'm making use of it already) jumped in the pool in his street clothes. management told him he had to take his clothes off, so he did so, IN THE POOL. well, his shirt got caught up in the circulation pumps, and the pool was out of commission for months. they decided to scrap the idea, but gave it another shot. well, some guy, or girl, promptly decided it was an easier idea to take a dump in the pool, rather than go to all the trouble of getting out, and going to the john. drain the pool, one more time...

still looking for a public pool?

They have it on tape:

[video=youtube;TPxiXGr9nFM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPxiXGr9nFM[/video]

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Deviate, BJ, cacobaka,
There is a public pool in POP that is fed by a mountain spring. From Sosua go round the circumnavigation, past the Teleferico and to the next major junction on the left. There is a Gas Station on the apex of the opposite corner. Turn up this road and go about 1kM and the entrance to a pool is on you left behind some restaurants that serve it. It is very cold as it is fed continuously from a mountain spring ( so also avoids the pee aspect) .
Know nothing about prices but it is popular with POP the locals in the summer months.

Hope you can find it from these directions and I am surprised no one else knew about !!

Here is the other thread
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/134620-public-swimming-pools-dancing-2.html

Olly and the Team

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Deviate, BJ, cacobaka,
There is a public pool in POP that is fed by a mountain spring. From Sosua go round the circumnavigation, past the Teleferico and to the next major junction on the left. There is a Gas Station on the apex of the opposite corner. Turn up this road and go about 1kM and the entrance to a pool is on you left behind some restaurants that serve it. It is very cold as it is fed continuously from a mountain spring ( so also avoids the pee aspect) .
Know nothing about prices but it is popular with POP the locals in the summer months.

Hope you can find it from these directions and I am surprised no one else knew about !!

Here is the other thread
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/134620-public-swimming-pools-dancing-2.html

Olly and the Team

sounds like the road to San Marcos..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, it is past san marcos, towards the top of teleferico. very nice road, btw. there is actually two of those natural pools. full of people on the weekends, loud music and so on. i did not count them as technically they are not pools to me. but they may be what BJ is looking for. the water must be cold like hell, i guess. i have seen those going up to the mountain but the noise and crowds are a big no no to me so i have never been inside.

thanks, olly.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
yes, it is past san marcos, towards the top of teleferico. very nice road, btw. there is actually two of those natural pools. full of people on the weekends, loud music and so on. i did not count them as technically they are not pools to me. but they may be what BJ is looking for. the water must be cold like hell, i guess. i have seen those going up to the mountain but the noise and crowds are a big no no to me so i have never been inside.

thanks, olly.

are you speaking about the Manantial?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
manantial?

yessss..make a left at the tropigas station, and head to San Marcos. you get to a fork, right by the police station. go left, and you head off into the boonies. you go over a little bridge where chivos are always washing cars, and the manantial is on your left.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
is it what it's called? i thought it was something like parque de agua natural or something. in any case, it is the same place. the road has been recently fixed so it is perfectly passable once you clear the moonscape of san marcos itself. lovely drive too. if you go past the natural pools the road splits T shape: left for teleferico and right for el cupey.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
is it what it's called? i thought it was something like parque de agua natural or something. in any case, it is the same place. the road has been recently fixed so it is perfectly passable once you clear the moonscape of san marcos itself. lovely drive too. if you go past the natural pools the road splits T shape: left for teleferico and right for el cupey.

absolutely correct. you end up in a part of the world where the Brugal family owns all the land.