Pensions, can that count as savings for a UK visa

desh

Feb 20, 2011
I am trying to get my husband over to the uk but i am short of the 18,600 so i am saving up for the 16,000 in the bank plus x 2 of my salary. i am 30 and have been paying into a pention through standard life for the past 10 years. I get a statement every year of how much money is in my pention for me to retire when i am 65. Can i use those statements for my pention as savings do they count? for example if it said 10,000 pound saved for my pention can i use that and add 6,000 to get my 16,000 in the bank then just save for x2 shortfall of my salary?

desh

Feb 20, 2011
thanks Anna. By Pention i mean i contribute and my work contributes to a pention every month when i get paid. And when i turn 65 they give me the money back . So every month i put some money in standard life which is a long term savings and investment business but i dont get the money till i retire in 30years time i was wondering if that would class as savings?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
From what I understand it has to be from INCOME so the pension may not count since it won't be coming in for a long time. Maybe I'm not reading it right.

Here is a list of what qualifies as income:

Income can come from:

• Salaried employment of the sponsor (or applicant, where the applicant is already working legally in the UK on another visa)
  • Self-employment of the sponsor (or applicant, where the applicant is already working legally in the UK on another visa)
  • Cash savings ? only savings above ?16,000 are considered as available to offset the minimum income; if no income, savings of ?62,500 held in the sponsor and/or applicant?s name for 6 months would be required (this is ?18,600 x 2.5 years, plus the first ?16,000 which is not counted)
  • State or private pension of either the sponsor or applicant
  • Maternity Allowance and bereavement benefits received in the UK by either the sponsor or the applicant
  • Property rental income for property in the UK or overseas, in the sponsor and/or applicant?s name, where the property is not their main residence
  • Dividends or other income from investments, stocks, shares, bonds or trust funds in the sponsor and/or applicant?s name
  • Interest from savings in the sponsor and/or applicant?s name
  • Maintenance payments from the applicant?s former partner in relation to the applicant and former partner?s children that are cared for by the applicant.
A combination of the above is allowed.

Taken from UK Marriage Visa, Spouse Visa | UK Visas & Immigration | de Prey Consulting

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
No it doesn't count. The money has to be readily available and accessible immediately. So equity in a house or land doesn't count either.

Matilda

desh

Feb 20, 2011
yes i have read that too and it was the+ state or private pension of either the sponsor or applicant that i dont understand if itmeans if your over 65 or does it mean if you have one that you are saving for now as both myself and my husband have pentions that we are saving for.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Matilda answered the question. She is from the UK and is very knowledgeable :)

desh

Feb 20, 2011
ah thanks matilda i thought with the new law change in july 2013 that it was going to count now

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
yes i have read that too and it was the+ state or private pension of either the sponsor or applicant that i dont understand if itmeans if your over 65 or does it mean if you have one that you are saving for now as both myself and my husband have pentions that we are saving for.

It has to be a pension that you are currently receiving and not a pension plan that you are putting money into it for when you retire.