Crossing my fingers! (Job Opportunity in PC)

BostonBabyyy

Jun 20, 2013
Hello,

I have spent many days studying these forums and finally have decided to join. I have a job interview today for a school in Punta Cana (via Skype) and I really hope that I get it. My friend has already been hired, she's from England, and leaves in August to move into her apartment (provided by the school) I hope to be joining her! I am from Boston but have spent time all over the Caribbean for work. I have been living back in Boston for 8 months now and I have come to realize I am no longer the city girl I prided myself on being.

I hate the city rush, the cold weather, and the PUSH for me to get married and have children, ugh, the pretentiousness of it all. I miss the tropical weather, the food, the casual care-free living, and the simplicity. I will be happy working with children, lounging on the beach on off days, and stuffing my face with arroz con frijoles (I have family living in Puerto Rico so my Spanish is, mediocre at best).

Because of my travels I have some friends already in PC working at the resorts and if I get this job I will be able to work with my friend from England again.

I really hope I get this job! I will have many questions that follow if I do...

xo

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I TOO lived in Boston, for 25 years.
I left for all the reasons you listed "above",except the "Marriage" part that it, and because I had a job here.
I have a sister who is 70 years old, never married, no kids, and is living a very happy, productive life to this day.
Living in Wellfleet doesn't hurt either!
I have visited the DR since 1986, and moved here permanently 18 years ago.
Dominicans have their "Own Language", with many local "Twists".
You have to forget "Frijoles", and use "Habichuelas" here.
If your "Friends" are local males who work in the "Resorts", Beware!
Other than THAT, welcome to "DR1", and I hope you get the teaching job.
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

BostonBabyyy

Jun 20, 2013
I will be sure to keep everyone posted!

I figured as much with the local twist, same thing happened to me in Mexico when I referred to certain foods but I am a fast learner and love to learn new things. Thank you for my first lesson :bunny:!

My friends working in the resorts are from the USA and are really excited that I might be coming down. A friend of mine from Kansas just flew down yesterday and I am waiting for him to fill me in on everything.

Time to get dolled up for my interview, hopefully I will come back with good news...

xo

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Good luck, for the first time in 10 years IMO I'd say PC/Bavaro is the best place to be in DR. You'll do fine!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
You sound so excited, I am excited for you. Good luck. Sounds like a great opportunity.

BostonBabyyy

Jun 20, 2013
Hi Everyone!

Everything went VERY well yesterday and I will have an answer in writing next week. The suspense is going to kill me!

I will continue to read through the boards and of course will let everyone know if I get hired.
Thank you all for the well wishes! :bunny:

xo

BostonBabyyy

Jun 20, 2013
Hello DR1,

Great news, I was offered the job! Next month I will be moving to my apartment in Punta Cana and will be embarking on a new journey. It's still so surreal, my dream has come true. Make room for me DR, I'm coming!!!

xo

sammy85430

Mar 31, 2004
Good luck!

If you land the job be sure to come by Danny's Sports Bar and I will introduce you to everyone!

Good luck!

BostonBabyyy

Jun 20, 2013
Danny's Sports Bar. Got it! I was just talking to my friend (the one that also will be moving down in August) and we were discussing what our itinerary will be as we have a week of "settling in"
before the school year starts. The first two days will be spent getting over the shock that we actually just left everything behind and moved to start a new life (together!) in PC. After that we will be looking for the fun stuff to do. Danny's is now on the list! So far we just have the beach and IKEA...

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

xo

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
congrats! happy teaching :) i am sure you will find it stressful at times but this can also be very rewarding profession. my spell check wanted to correct it to "retarding profession", that is also quite true ;)
welcome!