Gas vs gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Is it worth the conversion? I was quoted 60.000.00 RD for an 80 cylinder tank for a ford explorer.Any opinions.Supposedly 15% more mileage per gallon than gas.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My brother-in-law claims the cost advantage has dwindled, and not that much difference in price. Not to mention it's more dangerous.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Compressed natural gas you mean?

Yes, you will get better mileage. Problem is with availability of service stations in your locale and whether natural gas is cheaper there versus petroleum-based gas.

I didn't see many in Santo Domingo when I was there.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I don't like gas. For starters, you have to stand in line with 20 conchos to fill up your gas cylinder. A little better if it is "gas natural", but still...I don't know, it's got a ghetto feeling about it...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Omar, I thought he meant propane. If it's propane, there are stations everywhere for that. If it's compressed natural gas, I'm not sure!

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
Yeah... Natural gas

I'm not sure anyone would want to drive a car that runs on propane. That's just a continuous fireworks show waiting to happen in that country. :)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You will NOT get better mileage.

Propane has about 75% of the thermal potential as gasoline, so you will get far LESS mileage and much poorer performance.

CNG is even worse.

The cost per mile may be slightly less. We had a propane installation in our old XTerra. The performance is MUCH worse than gasoline.

When the subsidies for propane went away, so did the cost per mile advantage. It wasn't worth it for the poor performance and increased maintenance: propane is a dry gas and strips away the lubrication around intake and exhaust valves, and requires much more direct fuel system maintenance to keep it running correctly.

CNG is driving around with a high-pressure tank filled with an explosive gas. Is that what you want? Vehicles designed for CNG also have a system that protects the tank in a crash installed.

The payback will be very, very long now, if there even is a payback.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think that "gasoline" is more powerful.
It does cost more, but I propane system installed in a vehicle and needed to be tuned too often for me.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
The cost of the special oil you need to use and the fact that the motor only has 1/2 the life expectancy of a motor run on gasoline negates all advantages. Mileage is about even or worse depending on you driving.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Thanks for your replies.After reading about the two pick up explosion didn't want the convertion

les1

Feb 1, 2007
My brother-in-law claims the cost advantage has dwindled, and not that much difference in price. Not to mention it's more dangerous.

My sister in law is a nurse in the capital. I went to visit at the hospital and they had a mother and son who were in a taxi running on gas. Another vehicle run into the back of the taxi and the gas exploded and both had 80% burns. The son died when I was there and the mother later. The taxi driver got away with burnt ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.