Dominican Rappers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuu

Jun 19, 2013
Which Dominican rapper do you consider the best?

In my opinion, it's Lapiz Conciente.

As a kid I remember I always liked rap and hip hop but the DR didn't have famous rappers back then until 2005 when some Dominican rappers appeared with very good lyrics and those things. I've always liked the Dominican rap because it's very intense and it's known for being one of the best spanish rap among the spanish speaking countries.

I know there are many foreigners over here but if you understand spanish, spanish spoken in poor neighborhoods in the DR then you can understand these rappers. Here is a video for those people who aren't familiar with the Dominican rap, this video shows a few very good Dominican rappers.

[video=youtube;BjsB6pKknqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjsB6pKknqY[/video]

If you're interested in knowing more about Dominican rappers you can just go to YouTube and look for them in there.

bermyboy

Bronze
Dec 13, 2007
I Like Lapiz as well his flow reminds me of Biggie how he tells the stories in his songs very cool

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I know there are many foreigners over here but if you understand spanish, spanish spoken in poor neighborhoods in the DR then you can understand these rappers.

son, miesposo is dominican and he probably would not understand some of that stuff, let alone a gringo... i appreciate wide availability of lyrics to those songs because i much prefer to see things written down, it's just all spoken too fast. of course even then i still do not understand most of the slang but at least i can get the meaning...

i do not think your video will find appreciation here, those old farts prefer boring bachata :)

i like lapiz conciente. cirujano nocturno was good (RIP). great lyrics. from the video above i must admit my dirty love for mozart la para. he's fantastic!

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
Only knew el Lapiz, but the video is great, Dominicans have great rappers ( music production , text , flow , punchlines). I find that spanish language is nicely adapted to RAP

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Only knew el Lapiz, but the video is great, Dominicans have great rappers ( music production , text , flow , punchlines). I find that spanish language is nicely adapted to RAP

why is it that i cannot detect these qualities in Dominican rap?

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
Jaja listened to rap all my life ( I am 34) : Rakim, Nas, Biggie, Krs One, Onyx, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, The Beatnuts, Dr Dre, Cypress Hill, Big L , A tribe called quest, The roots etc, etc. I am a Homeboy lol, some of the rappers have skills and their production is far better than the garbage that DJ Khaled is producing for Drake, Rick Ross or Lil Wayne. Just my opinion

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
Latinos are really good in Rap: Fat Joe, Big Punisher RIP, Cypress Hill, The Psycho Realm or the Beatnuts ( juju is dominican), Tres Coronas , Joel Ortiz is half PR , Noriega from Capone N Noriega is PR etc etc

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Jaja listened to rap all my life ( I am 34) : Rakim, Nas, Biggie, Krs One, Onyx, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, The Beatnuts, Dr Dre, Cypress Hill, Big L , A tribe called quest, The roots etc, etc. I am a Homeboy lol, some of the rappers have skills and their production is far better than the garbage that DJ Khaled is producing for Drake, Rick Ross or Lil Wayne. Just my opinion

i cannot comment, since i believe that rap is the antithesis of music.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Latinos are really good in Rap: Fat Joe, Big Punisher RIP, Cypress Hill, The Psycho Realm or the Beatnuts ( juju is dominican), Tres Coronas , Joel Ortiz is half PR , Noriega from Capone N Noriega is PR etc etc

Ivy Queen, Tego Calderon......PR got into Rap when it was Hip-Hop and has offered a long legacy of the Latin flavor of the genre which has found appreciation throughout Latin America. I personally prefer the Blues and I still like the big band Latin sounds but hey, something for everybody.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Ivy Queen, Tego Calderon......PR got into Rap when it was Hip-Hop and has offered a long legacy of the Latin flavor of the genre which has found appreciation throughout Latin America. I personally prefer the Blues and I still like the big band Latin sounds but hey, something for everybody.

does Taj Mahal pass muster with you, greydread?

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
i cannot comment, since i believe that rap is the antithesis of music.

Well DJs in Rap / Hip Hop are musician scholars , they listened all kind of music : classical , funk, soul, rock n roll, blues, jazz etc, for their samples.

Rap is a passion, however I listen also "true" music lol, like King Curtis, James Brown and The JB's, Maceo Parker, the Isley Brothers, Grant Green , Duke Ellington, Curtis Mayfield etc or Salsa dura like Ray Barretto, Johnny Pacheco (the greatest Dominican ever lol), Eddie Palmieri, Roberto Roena or the Cuban sound the like of Arsenio Rodriguez, Orquesta Aragon, Orquesta Fajardo etc...I must admit my pops schooled me for salsa.

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012

True that, Tego is great when he does hip hop but I am not a fan of his Reggaeton.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

Damn son!!! You stole my playlist LOL!!! Let me just add Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Slum Village, Gang Starr,(RIP Guru) Common, Pharcyde, Black Moon, Public Enemy, DAS EFX, Digable Planets, Fugees etc. I could be hear all day Oh yeah I can't forget about my man Cuban Link I used to love this kid. My favorite Dominican rappers are wait!!!! Dominicans rap???????? LOL

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Well DJs in Rap / Hip Hop are musician scholars , they listened all kind of music : classical , funk, soul, rock n roll, blues, jazz etc, for their samples.

Rap is a passion, however I listen also "true" music lol, like King Curtis, James Brown and The JB's, Maceo Parker, the Isley Brothers, Grant Green , Duke Ellington, Curtis Mayfield etc or Salsa dura like Ray Barretto, Johnny Pacheco (the greatest Dominican ever lol), Eddie Palmieri, Roberto Roena or the Cuban sound the like of Arsenio Rodriguez, Orquesta Aragon, Orquesta Fajardo etc...I must admit my pops schooled me for salsa.

Damn you listen to everything!!!! My salsa collection is just as big as my rap collection. Bobby Valentin, La Critica, La Salsa Mayor, Orquesta La Terrifica, Rey Reyes, Mario Ortiz, Marvin Santiago, Gene Hernandez, Andy Montanez, Willie Rosario, Tito Gomez, Tito Rojas etc. I don't really do the James Brown and Curtis Mayfield but I respect their MAJOR contribution in the music industry along with Marvin Gaye. BTW If you know about the Isley Brothers you are a really down brother LOL My favorite song by this group " Voyage to Atlantis" and "Hello its Me"

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

salsa is serious stuff. those boys do not play! (actually, they do!) i am sad that you left out my Bronx boy, El Malo, Willie Colon, and Sonora Poncena.

Status
Not open for further replies.