Foreigners working in the DR without papers

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
My wife knows of someone who is not a Dominican who said she has been selling real estate in the DR for years. Lives there full time...her employer knows, too. Apparently, no cedula or residency documentation.
I thought that was insane...isn't that very risky?
What are the consequences if she is caught by the authorities? Jail time - then deportation?:rolleyes:
If she was caught, wouldn't that prevent her from entering the DR again?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My wife knows of someone who is not a Dominican who said she has been selling real estate in the DR for years. Lives there full time...her employer knows, too. Apparently, no cedula or residency documentation.
What are the consequences if she is caught by the authorities? Jail time - then deportation?:rolleyes:

nothing that hyperbolic. people do it every day. every call center has at least a few gringos without residency.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
hmm, ....working clandestinely behind a desk working phones at a call center in the DR is one thing, but for her to advertise and actively work at her job dealing with the public in-person is pretty ballsy.

What would happen to her if someone found out (competitor or scorned lover) and "dropped a dime" on her? :alien:

Feb 7, 2007
I have lived here several years (5+) without residency, dealing with clients every day hitting the streets. I even had competitors who were not very fond of business that I started (even nobody was doing EXACTLY the same thing I started they were doing something similar)... and what? I am still here ...

I know several DR1'ers who own and operate businesses and have just acquired residency very recently.

So, no big deal...

AND you have to remember one thing ... until the "regulation" for MIgration dept. came into effect last year, whoever entered legally, even if overstaying, was not in the country "illegally", he was just overstaying. The recent migration regulation clarified some things, but those who entered legally do not get immediately denominated illegals after their permitted stay expires.
So, no big deal...

Feb 7, 2007
I should mention that after what PICHARDO wrote last year, me and some others, went to get our paperwork in order. Myself, along with some of the other persons I mentioned, do have residency now.

I guess a huge factor is the cost. You pay exit fee 2000 pesos if you leave twice a year or 4000 if you leave after 12 months (a bit less than 4000, I think it is 3500 pesos). But residency costs upward of 30,000 or 40,000 pesos the first time and at least half that for renewal after a year. So I am sure the cost factor is an important consideration.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
It's not only the cost but also the relevance of it. What will I get more with residency ? If I work from home on the Internet, I'm not taking any Dominican's job. And how could I live with a salary of what, 10,000 pesos a month ??

If one day I find it necessary to get a residency or whatever else, then I'll do it but for the moment, I don't see the purpose of doing it.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

Excuse me but is it any of your business whether the lady has residency or not? Or are you asking because you'd also be interested in working without the required papers? If so then don't worry about and good luck finding a job.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
It's not only the cost but also the relevance of it. What will I get more with residency ? If I work from home on the Internet, I'm not taking any Dominican's job. And how could I live with a salary of what, 10,000 pesos a month ??

If one day I find it necessary to get a residency or whatever else, then I'll do it but for the moment, I don't see the purpose of doing it.

You don't need it to conduct your internet job! Your consideration for getting residency, is the feeling of being legal, reduce overstay fines when travelling, get proper car insurance and drivers license here. Cannot think of too many more plusses

Feb 7, 2007
Yes , the driver's license was one of the main motivators for me. Also, because I have some health issues since birth, I prefer to have the contributory health insurance instead of voluntary plan (contributory plan does not have any exclusions or pre-existing condition limitations, while the voluntary plan does. Both are done by the same insurance company, but contributory goes through the country's social security system, and you need a cedula for that, and to get a cedula you need to get residency).

So driver's license and health insurance with no exclusions were the two decisive factors.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Yes , the driver's license was one of the main motivators for me. Also, because I have some health issues since birth, I prefer to have the contributory health insurance instead of voluntary plan (contributory plan does not have any exclusions or pre-existing condition limitations, while the voluntary plan does. Both are done by the same insurance company, but contributory goes through the country's social security system, and you need a cedula for that, and to get a cedula you need to get residency).

So driver's license and health insurance with no exclusions were the two decisive factors.

What is the contributory plan? do you need to be officially working here or just have a cedula? can you get this along with the ARS plan and if so what benefit. I ask because I had an emergency visit 2 years ago that resulted in a week stay and the bill went a 200k dop over the per visit ARS limit which I believe was 250k

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I don't travel out of the country, I don't drive, and I pay for health insurance.

If I decide to go back to Qu?bec for a visit, I will pay the fine for overstay, that's it !

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have, "None-Of-The-Above".
Been living here "FULL TIME" for about 19 years now.Drove my vehicles for many years, no problems.
Own a house, have medical insurance,even worked here for 10 years!
For the DR government!
Every time I leave, I pay my fine.
When I come back, they let me in, no problem, despite all the rumors here saying they would not.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Feb 7, 2007
What is the contributory plan? do you need to be officially working here or just have a cedula? can you get this along with the ARS plan and if so what benefit. I ask because I had an emergency visit 2 years ago that resulted in a week stay and the bill went a 200k dop over the per visit ARS limit which I believe was 250k

Yes you must be working and your employer pays the percentage and you pay the percentage. Total is about 10% of your salary. This will give you Plan Basico. While the coverage of plan basico (moneywise) is a bit inferior to good private plan, you get no waiting period (you can have surgery the very next day), immediate pregnancy coverage, and what is most important, pre-existing conditions. Also, you get "catastrophic illness" coverage up to 1 million pesos (private plans limit on your per-case basis), plus vaccines for children, dental plan, and pharmacy up to RD$3000 per year. You can also affiliate for NO ADDITIONAL COST your spouse and your/her children under the age of 18 or even after age of 18 when they are studying full time. You can elect your ARS, but all ARS offer the SAME coverage under plan basico.

But the trick is not to stay with Plan Basico. On top of Plan Basico, you can get complementary plan (plan complementario) with the ARS, which increases your coverage for a fixed monthly fee. NOW it's where the game begins, and where it is good to have the "correct" ARS. The coverage and monthly fee for complementary plans vary. One of the most expensive ones is Humano which has the worst price/benefit ratio for complementary plans. Universal is in the middle, but I would elect Universal for a private plan where their coverage is excellent, not for plan basico + complementary plan.

I have had private plan with ARS Constitusion, really great coverage at very reasonable cost. Now that I have residency, I officially employed myself in my company on a part-time basis. I already have Dominican national social security number and I am already enrolled in Plan Basico as of this month. As of July 1st, I will also have the complementary plan, called Clasico II, with the same ARS Constitucion. For a small monthly fee of RD$470 (per person, so if you are enrolled with spouse, while there is no additional charge for plan basico, complementary plan would be CP cost x 2), so for this small monthly fee I get 100% ambulatory and hospital coverage, which means ZERO co-payment on anything, with the exception of very highly specialized exams (like magnetic resonance, nuclear medicine etc.), and I have room coverage of over 5.000 pesos per day (most private plans have room coverage of 2000-3000 pesos per day). Plus, my catastrophic coverage is increased to 1.35 million (from the plan basico 1 million).

To get plan basico (and later complementary plan) you need to be employed in a company (your own, for example) and pay the contributions to the local social security system. You get affiliated with any ARS of your choosing prior to starting contributing to the system, and you can change your ARS after 12 months.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
hmm, ....working clandestinely behind a desk working phones at a call center in the DR is one thing, but for her to advertise and actively work at her job dealing with the public in-person is pretty ballsy.

What would happen to her if someone found out (competitor or scorned lover) and "dropped a dime" on her? :alien:

Where are you going with this 2020? Are you a scorned lover or competitor? Hahaha....or just a concerned citizen?

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
Where are you going with this 2020? Are you a scorned lover or competitor? Hahaha....or just a concerned citizen?

I'm married, hardly a scorned lover!
I'm not a competitor and I don't presently live in the DR or work there.
We visit the DR several times a year and will, one day, live there since we have a home there.
It was interesting to see that that this individual's attitude was so lackadaisical and carefree. I could see if she worked in the hospitality business, call center, or tour group but not much else.
I was wondering what the legal fallout would be for anyone doing that if they don't bother getting the necessary documentation....nothing? Really? :nervous:

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
Well, in the worst case scenario, she could be deported. That is, if she did some bad things and they caught up with her. But if she is doing legit things, worst case scenario would be to pay some bribe. But if she has been in the area for quite a while, most likely she would have some connections - even if it is just a police captain who could speak to his colonel who could speak to his general who could speak to general in migracion who would order the local captain in migracion to just let go of things... but most likely, if she has been successful in her business, and meeting lots of people, she has a speed-dial of several officers of ranks much higher than a local police captain.