Sosua Beach Vendors Worried

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]The president of the association of beach vendors (la Asociaci?n de vendedores the Artesan?a de la playa de Sos?a) Mr. Andres Batista has appealed to the president Danilo Medina and the Minister of Tourism for intermediation.[/h] [h=5]Playa Sos?a[/h] [h=5][/h]
[h=5]The Chairman said that the owners of the souvenir shops are very worried about the announced construction of a shopping plaza at the entrance to the beach. The current shops will then be demolished. But they are afraid that not every shop owner will get a shop at the new to build shopping center. Furthermore, the owners of hotels and restaurants are given priority when renting a shop. The Chairman pointed out that the association exists for 37 years and that there are over 300 people working in the beach shops. Moreover, about 800 family members depend directly and indirectly on the revenues from these shops. The President Andres Batista now asks the President and the minister to secure the interests of the current owners of the beach shops.[/h]

philosopher

Jul 7, 2010
The president should decide this in a way with maximum benefit to the local shop owners. This may result in the status quo, which isn't so bad.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the president should decide this in a way with maximum benefit to all citizens of sosua and the visitors. NOT the vendors.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, in a way that will continue to allow the thousands of depending family members to keep going if indeed more people will benefit from the new project...

philosopher

Jul 7, 2010
I don't think the new project is necessary. In fact if built, I see a reduction in the amount of Dominicans who wil benefit from it. However, one will have to wait and see if positive change occurs.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i really do not know. current location of those shops seems fine to me but the owner of the land has full rights to kick those folks out and make different use of the property... i do not think plaza/mall can be successful... unless we are talking similar setup like on the malecon in POP (worked really well). on the other hand i hate the fact there is always an ASSociation of something or other protesting against any changes.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i really do not know. current location of those shops seems fine to me but the owner of the land has full rights to kick those folks out and make different use of the property... i do not think plaza/mall can be successful... unless we are talking similar setup like on the malecon in POP (worked really well). on the other hand i hate the fact there is always an ASSociation of something or other protesting against any changes.

anytime people try to upgrade things like these, they usually go to hell in a handbasket. those casetas on the malecon in POP are a roaring success, no?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they are actually doing quite well, especially at the weekends. very crowded. so i guess yes, they were a success.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
like sosua needs more traffic on Pedro Clisante heading down to the shopping plaza ? i guess the biggest question will be how long will the project take to finish ?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes, and part of the grand design was forcing people to park on the other side of the road and have to cross four lanes of crazy drivers to get to the caseta. One can only wonder what new great ideas they have in store for Sosua.

funny you mention that. i have a buddy who refuses to go to a caseta, for that very same reason. who wants to get his clock cleaned by some chivo on a Honda Cub, barreling along at 60 mph?

see, dv8, i stole your word.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not go to the malecon much but when i drive by on weekends they all are pretty busy... what makes me wonder, however, is this beachfront restaurant, casa del mar? how the hell does this stay open? i have never seen any clients inside. and i do not think it gets recommended by dr1ers either. how the hell do they stay in business?

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I don't like that idea of building a mall to replace all the little shops on the Sosua Beach. People love these shops, it's part of being in another country, something different.

People don't want a mall, they have many in the U.S. and Canada. Why change the "look" of the beach ? Who will profit from that ?? With a mall, many tourists won't go in. They go to these shops because it's different and exotic ! WHY CHANGE THAT ???

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
like sosua needs more traffic on Pedro Clisante heading down to the shopping plaza ? i guess the biggest question will be how long will the project take to finish ?

that is not the biggest question. the biggest question is how much money the authorities will steal from the project funds.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i do not go to the malecon much but when i drive by on weekends they all are pretty busy... what makes me wonder, however, is this beachfront restaurant, casa del mar? how the hell does this stay open? i have never seen any clients inside. and i do not think it gets recommended by dr1ers either. how the hell do they stay in business?

when it just opened, it had a following however, you do not keep a following when you serve 400 peso chicken alfredo. in 2006. it is now as dead as Julius Caesar, which is a shame, since it was really beautiful.

looks don't count for much , anyway. the Ginbar in POP is a gorgeous piece of property, but it too kicked the bucket. it lasted a little longer than my predictions.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
ginbar? where is that?

that beautiful restaurant on Luis Ginebra. going from the police station near to La Sirena, you go past the polideportivo, past the road that goes into Bayardo, and it is pretty near to that strip mall with the store that sells restaurant equipment.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh, i have been there. the food was mediocre and the music so loud it made it impossible to enjoy a visit there. yes, the property is nice and so is the setup but the finish was too... shall i say... too chopo-style to make it work. my MIL summed it up: a place for chopos where no decent dominicans would go. sad, because the location, prices and the ambiance were meant to attract ricos who live just across the road, in bayardo... btw, i'd be pi**ed off like hell, living in bayardo now with those bars on luis ginebra (there are few), blasting loud music and attracting low lives.

i believe it is for sale or rent now? i have heard the owner wants something like 5.000 dollars a month for rent. plus, of course, the renter would have to cover all the bills (water, power). and there is no parking space to speak of either...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
oh, i have been there. the food was mediocre and the music so loud it made it impossible to enjoy a visit there. yes, the property is nice and so is the setup but the finish was too... shall i say... too chopo-style to make it work. my MIL summed it up: a place for chopos where no decent dominicans would go. sad, because the location, prices and the ambiance were meant to attract ricos who live just across the road, in bayardo... btw, i'd be pi**ed off like hell, living in bayardo now with those bars on luis ginebra (there are few), blasting loud music and attracting low lives.

i believe it is for sale or rent now? i have heard the owner wants something like 5.000 dollars a month for rent. plus, of course, the renter would have to cover all the bills (water, power). and there is no parking space to speak of either...

you are so polite...food was mediocre, you say. the food was crap! went there once, would never go back. that is why i predicted it would be gone in 6 months. that was in February, so i am right in the ballpark.

and yes, the poor residents of Bayardo have to deal with all those clubs all over Ginebra, not the least of which is the Furgon, home of all the chivos in the province.

i am killing that word, just as it killed me!!