Cargo to Germany (Europe)

Luna23

Feb 25, 2009
Hi everyone,
Thanks in advance for any tips/info you can give me.
I am trying to look into shipping stuff back to Germany. I've been living here in the DR for 15 years and am thinking about going back to Germany for a while.
Since I've assembled quite a bit of stuff over the years I would love to take some things with me, especially my books.
It would be most probably around 300-350 books plus maybe some boxes with clothing.
Anybody has an idea which companies ship from the DR to Europe?!
Time is not important as the things would not have to arrive fast, so I guess sea-shipping might be the best option. I just can't seem to find any good info.
I live on the North Coast, but if shipping from Santo Domingo is a lot easier it wouldn't be a problem getting my stuff there.
Thanks for any insights...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think your best option may be taking it with you on the plane. yes, i am not joking. airberlin flies from POP to dusseldorf/munich once a week. if you buy your ticket in advance you can get pretty decent deals on flyflex, whatever they call it. it has big luggage allowance (2 x 23 kg) and you can pay for additional luggage, 150 euro per piece or so. check in their office (in plaza turisol, i believe) to see how many extra pieces could you take. i think it may be the cheapest way...

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hi everyone,
Thanks in advance for any tips/info you can give me.
I am trying to look into shipping stuff back to Germany. I've been living here in the DR for 15 years and am thinking about going back to Germany for a while.
Since I've assembled quite a bit of stuff over the years I would love to take some things with me, especially my books.
It would be most probably around 300-350 books plus maybe some boxes with clothing.
Anybody has an idea which companies ship from the DR to Europe?!
Time is not important as the things would not have to arrive fast, so I guess sea-shipping might be the best option. I just can't seem to find any good info.
I live on the North Coast, but if shipping from Santo Domingo is a lot easier it wouldn't be a problem getting my stuff there.
Thanks for any insights...

If you send me dimensions and weight I can get you a good rate. There is a regular shipment to Hamburg. Airfreight will always be more expensive but maybe it could work out cheaper if you do what Dv8 suggests. Send me the details and contents and I'll give you the full cost.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
First time I went back to Holland (in 2005) I shipped boxes with books and kitchen utensils. I used martinair, shipped it a few days before leaving myself. They were flown to Holland as cargo and I picked the boxes up from the airport in Amsterdam when I arrived. Easy and cheap.