Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are all gas prices really the same?

I know they're supposed to be the same and I know that the prices are published in the papers, but are gas prices really the same at all stations?

I swear the other day I saw two different gas prices...

Thanks.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Seriously, is this a question?

3. Dislikes vmhatup disliked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes they are the same, not all gas stations update their publication boards though.

It's a valid question, when I was just here back in 2001 I had a fight at a has station while the price on the board was lower than what they wanted to charge me. I didn't believe the guy telling me prices are all the same and what the board says doesn't count.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a ridiculous question. Until I joined DR1, I never knew all the gas stations charged the same price. I actually used to go out of my way to get gas at a place on the malecon just west of Churchill because the posted price was less. I never even looked at the price on the pump. Duh.

I was blonde back then, maybe that was it. Yeah, that was it.

Administrator
    DR1.com

6. Likes rubio_higuey, CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Prices are well known to be the same by most people living or regular visitors to the DR, hence my surprise to the question posed. My apologies to the OP.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I had no idea and never really look at the actual price, just the part where they start at 00.00 :-) Not the same where I come from, so I guess I assumed they would be different all over the Country?! Good to know they are all the same :-)

9. Likes CaptnGlenn liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the posts.

I know they're all the same, but I would've sworn that I went to two different gas stations in Santiago, and they charged me a different price.

Anyways, it's good to know that it was just a figment of my imagination.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Not necessarily your imagination. Each Saturday a new week with new fixed prices start. If you put gas on Friday and Saturday there might be a difference.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

But why don't they free the market, as competition keeps prices down in other countries? Wait - I've answered my own question - the fuel company cartels have "friends" in the government!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The competition does not keep prices down in fuel industry. The maximum difference you can see even in the States or Europe is couple of cents per gallon or liter. There is about 15 pesos margin per gallon for the pump. So...how much lower do you think they could offer you, per gallon? 2 or 3 pesos? Would you go out of your way to get 10 gallons of gas for 50 pesos total difference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast