The "New" Victor's at Velero

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There's a new chef, menu and name at the restaurant at Velero Resort. Now the spot with the best view of Cabarete Bay has one of the best restaurants in Cabarete (IMO of course!)

I ate there with 5 friends and we sampled several dishes...all were excellent, good size portions, and very reasonably priced.

Some highlights:

As soon as we were seated, we were given ice water, and it was refilled throughout the meal. It's a small thing that goes a long way with me. The only other place I know that doesn't force you to buy bottled water is Claro Cafe...(and pretty much every colmadon and chicken shack in the Country)

The Special of the day was seared Salmon in a Meniere sauce...large and fantastic...absolutely perfectly cooked.

Tuna steak with a teriyaki glaze...again, very large...and very well prepared (rare).

Shrimp Victor - reminds you of another restaurant's "famous" shrimp...with a great sauce for dipping your bread into...

All the dishes come with two sides...and not just the usual papas fritas, arroz blanco, or platanos...there are more than a half dozen choices...we tried most of them and they were all very good.
The service was excellent!

The view is amazing, especially at Sunset!

They have whole wheat pasta for the bolognese (nice touch).

You get a free shot of Mamajuana after dinner :bunny:

And....the impuestos (10% + 28%) are included in the prices...not so common anymore in Cabarete, especially at the "nicer" restaurants.

In addition to the above they have a good selection of salads, other seafood, steaks, pastas, and desserts! I didn't get a chance to look at them, but they have separate menus for breakfast and lunch as well.

As for the prices, most dishes were between 500-600 pesos, a few less, a few more...but again, that's with the 28% included...

I'll definitely be back...actually probably going there tomorrow for breakfast!

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Great news. When I'm on the north coast I often stay at the Velero but eat elsewhere . I will check out the new chef, thanks for the intel.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Like the free water, free mamajuana after, and one can bring their own wine with no corking fee,
like Casa Valeria does/did.....don't know now about them today. Taxes included in pricing....great.
The organic herb garden beside the kitchen is cool as well.
Victor the chef is good, he's been around the N.Coast a good many years, and has a following.
Sunset views are the best, about as good as Waterfront area of Sosua. Hard to beat that.
Good they're open to the public now.
Dozens of colorful kites in the air afternoons , across the bay........pretty.

drbcabarete

Oct 21, 2005
Agree on Victor's at Velero though not sure they have officially named it. Great dining experience the other night with 4 of us. Have been a regular there for years as many friends either live there or guest there. But with Victor there and the new pricing policies of the new management, it is even better. The food was prepared perfectly for all of us, as well as the service being excellent and of course the setting is great. Add a couple of good scotch selections to the bar menu and "Victor's" will have us back often. Long a fan of Victor, now, going back about 8 years. Good to have him back in the center of town.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Where is " El Caminante II"? Never heard of it

A rustic Dominican restaurant on the left side of the main highway on the way towards Sabaneta from Cabarete owned by Wilson Zapete. There is a banner over the highway near the restaurant so you can see where it is.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yup, east of Cabarete on the north/ocean side.

Unimposing is an understatement but really good....

After reading about it here, I stopped for a 'to go' platter..... the crab is the fastest thing to order when the car's running and it was delicious.

Jan 17, 2009
Just came back from dinner at Victor's. We heard Victor was not there this evening. Still, both our dishes were excellent. If you great food, excellent presentation, great table service, and the fact that you're sitting probably in the place with the best view of Cabarete Bay, this restaurant is quite a good deal. For two entrees, one beer and one club soda, total RD$1,030.

PS: Thanks for the address of El Caminante II

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
Our dinner experience of Thursday night, 27.06.13 was as follows:

We arrived around 7:30p and were very cordially welcomed as the only guests at that time. However, the plastic laminated menus that were presented really seemed out of place in a location with such tremendous ambiance.

We ordered cocktails and then proceeded to order our meals. Caprese salad tower and tenderloin steak in green peppercorn sauce for my wife and the crab salad and grilled churrasco steak with chimichurri for me (after being assured by the waiter the crab salad contained real fresh crab and not imitation crab stick). There was a very limited wine list at not so attractive prices for the selections available which we chose to forgo.

The salads arrived and the caprese salad tower was beautiful, the crab salad, a smallish mound of greens with a 1 layer covering of thinly sliced imitation crab stick was not acceptable. The wait staff apologetically accepted my request to change to the tomato and balsamic salad. Both of the tomato salads were delicious.

The attractively presented steak entrees arrived and the churrasco was a beautifully grilled to perfection sizable portion accompanied by baked potato and spinach with nuts and soy sauce. The tenderloin, also of ample portion lacked any eye appeal as it appeared to not have been grilled prior to being sauced, but rather cooked over a low heat which resulted in a bland gray color to the exterior. It was served with sides of baked potato and mixed vegetables.

Both steaks were tender and juicy. The green peppercorn sauce tasty but the chimichurri not so much. The baked potatoes were small/medium in size and served with a margarine/ butter spread but no sour cream or chives which would have been a welcome addition. The small portion of spinach with nuts and soy sauce was not standard green spinach, but either a bok choy or chard type green with no perceptible soy sauce flavor and a covering of sliced almonds. The mixed vegetables freshly prepared but also small in portion.

As we were finishing our meals about 9:00p another couple arrived and they were the only other diners there when we left shortly afterwards.

All in all a pleasant experience in a superb location. However, some small touches could easily elevate the culinary experience significantly.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Was happy to see they had 23 yr-old Zacapa' rum and a couple single malts and said
their wine list is being scrapped in favor of new stuff. As you said Coco, a few tweaks.
The sunsets are amazing there and 1/2 the price of Otra Cosa.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We ate there last night....finally. It was a wonderful experience and Victor is to be commended on his menu and preparation.

We had the Caprese salad, a bit small but wonderful. We than had the Tuna (me) and sea bass (Pat). The tuna was the best I have had in the last 7 years here. Perfectly seared with a great (slightly cool) red center. Pat's sea bass also one of the best we have had here. We were a bit disappointed in the sides as the spinach tasted a bit like Kale (slightly bitter) and the Swiss potatoes were nothing special and would not order those potatoes again.

Service was very good and loved the "free" water service (finally a restaurant that has gotten that right).

I also agree that the plastic menus needed to be changed to a more upscale format.

Last but certainly not least the prices were very reasonable. We will eat here again and again and again.

Bob K