Problem with Claro

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I got a house phone with claro 3 months ago, i had so many problems with them im not interested in their service anymore, so i went today and told them to cancel my line... Now they are telling me i have a 18 months contract with them and i have to pay cancellation fee if i want to get out.

I have never ever signed any contract when i went to the customer service and activate my line, i never tought i had any contract to be honest.

Is this even legal? Can i do anything to not have to pay their stupid cancellation fee?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
There is an eighteen month contract for a DSL modem. If you signed up for Flash, you do have a contract.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Its a house phone, nothing else.

How can you have a contract if you dont sign nothing, i dont get this? When i went to tricom and did a contract for my cable+internet i signed a contract, why whould it not be the same with them?

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I can obviously afford it, just ****ing me off that i wasnt warned and didnt sign nothing and they tell me after i have a contract.

Anyway Claro is by far the worst company i had to deal with here, i just have a housephone that i basicly only paid for the alarm in my house and had so many prolem with them since day 1, i guess im gonna pay those ****ers and never get anything with them ever.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I just looked at the Claro website, and if you read Spanish, they do say that their plans are contracts:

Solicita este servicio desde la comodidad de tu hogar, entrando a la Tienda en L?nea Claro: Aqu?

O llamando a nuestro Centro de Atenci?n Telef?nica al 809-220-1111, visitando uno de nuestros Centros de Atenci?n a Clientes o Distribuidores Autorizados a nivel nacional.

Requisitos de contrataci?n
Presentar Documento de Identidad v?lido y vigente (C?dula o Pasaporte).
Proporcionar la ubicaci?n exacta de donde va a ser instalado el servicio.
Realizar el pago avanzado de la Instalaci?n del servicio solicitado (si aplica).

Claro - Rep?blica Dominicana

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Speaking of phones, please help me here.
I am planning to visit the DR in July for about 9 days. I am planning to take with me my unlocked iphone. Any suggestions in terms of what company should i use when i get there. Can i just buy services for 9 days? How does that work, anybody, please? Services mean internet and voice.
Thanks

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes Claro are clowns controlling a phonecompany.

In civilization they would have been out of business before the first salary were handed out.

you have just said something i have repeated many times. companies like Claro, Orange, etc, would not last a week in the USA. they make their bazillions in the DR because Dominicans will accept anything.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
How come they are giving you a service without you signing a contract? Could it be that you signed it without realizing what it was?. I signed a contract when I got my house phone, also when I got my cell phone service, and yet another when I got my cable tv service. I don't think they will give you service if you don't sign a contract first.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
How come they are giving you a service without you signing a contract? Could it be that you signed it without realizing what it was?. I signed a contract when I got my house phone, also when I got my cell phone service, and yet another when I got my cable tv service. I don't think they will give you service if you don't sign a contract first.

i do find it strange, myself.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Get used to it. This is one of the largest companies in the country with the most staff. What this means, they steal better than the best of the best! Every year i get stuck with a double payment, additional 8000dop for my package. When you argue they say its from missing a month long time ago, when you show invoices, they say "yeah but you didn't pay the full invoice one time, only made a partial payment" after wasting time arguing, its pay or they cut-off, just just LadronEsur. They are just consider "gringo island taxes". Nothing you can do other than getting stressed and ranting on a gringo forum, which does ****! The quicker you accept being a victim of theft-with a smile! the quicker you will be acclimated to the DR

Sep 4, 2012
Speaking of phones, please help me here.
I am planning to visit the DR in July for about 9 days. I am planning to take with me my unlocked iphone. Any suggestions in terms of what company should i use when i get there. Can i just buy services for 9 days? How does that work, anybody, please? Services mean internet and voice.
Thanks

Buy a prepaid card.

Sep 4, 2012
If there is one thing (among many) that does not exist nor will ever exist in the DR is customer friendly services. Most companies have it one way -- either you deal with us the way we want you to or find services else where. They have no clue how to keep a customer happy.

I hated it.