Watered down rum?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
My friends who just returned home after visiting for a week called me last night. They bought some Barcel? and Brugal Anejo to take home. They said they had some last night and they felt it tasted like it was watered down. It did not taste as strong or the same as the one I gave them while they were at my house. Mind you I do not buy my rum (when I do buy rum) at souvenir/tourist areas. I normally buy mine at the supermarket. They did not notice that the caps on the bottles had been previously opened so I really have no clue on why the difference in taste. Any takes on why it would seem different. They were drinking it straight with no mixer or ice.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I dont know but there was a scam where I used to live- where people sold tea instead of whiskey, so watered down rum sounds a better option than plain tea

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Their neighbour is from the Dominican and he says he thinks it is watered down. Definitely not the same as what they had while they were here. Didn't bottles use to have some type of official seal? I seem to recall that but I could be wrong. Told them to save the bottle of the rum and when I go back in a couple of weeks I will bring one from where I normally buy from and we can compare. I know they bought these from one of the souvenir shops in the Conde.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
My friends who just returned home after visiting for a week called me last night. They bought some Barcel? and Brugal Anejo to take home. They said they had some last night and they felt it tasted like it was watered down. It did not taste as strong or the same as the one I gave them while they were at my house. Mind you I do not buy my rum (when I do buy rum) at souvenir/tourist areas. I normally buy mine at the supermarket. They did not notice that the caps on the bottles had been previously opened so I really have no clue on why the difference in taste. Any takes on why it would seem different. They were drinking it straight with no mixer or ice.

Where did they buy it? Its common on AI to experience such behavior. Remember in the DR scamming is a "craft" a "trade" a "profession/career" where some have very polished skills.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i remember some years ago, guys were selling bogus Johnny Walker Black. tasted like what i think horse p^^s should taste like.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Keepcoming, sometimes it comes in those twist off caps. Just make sure that when you try to open it, it makes clicking sounds. If it doesn't, it means it was tampered with.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Where did they buy it? Its common on AI to experience such behavior. Remember in the DR scamming is a "craft" a "trade" a "profession/career" where some have very polished skills.

some guys here will scam you for 10 pesos, even if it is to his everlasting detriment.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Thats a red flag right there..... always check the caps......I promise I will from now on.

Somebody got thirsty in the Duty Free and had some swigs.... replenished the bottle

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
watch out buying bottled water from the street vendors who come up to your car window on the hot days.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
........Somebody got thirsty in the Duty Free and had some swigs.... replenished the bottle

LOL, but so possible.

Actually it is best to purchase booze to take home from the supermarket and put it in your checked luggage. The Duty Free does NOT always have the cheapest prices compared to the supermarkets or larger liquor stores.

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
I feel bad for them. I should have paid more attention to where they were buying from. I did wonder why the yellow netting on the Brugal was pulled down over the cap but my ignorance of rum buying did not allow me to question it. I told them I owe them a couple of bottles.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
watch out buying bottled water from the street vendors who come up to your car window on the hot days.

Watched Slum Dog Millionaire last week - when I saw them refilling bottles with tap water and then glueing the caps so they click when you open them, I thought "great, something else to think about in DR". Can't be only the Indians who do that, right?

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Also told them do not drink anymore of it, watered down or not. Not sure if it is water and if water where did it come from.:disappoin

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Ya i would tell them to chuck it!
We got "Sealed" bottle water (Big Jug) from a store in Gaspar Hernandez and it WAS NOT good water! Tasted disgusting and we both got really sick. I have been scared ever since to trust any water here!

it is pathetic, but there are guys here who would endanger the lives of an entire family to make 30 pesos. i think this is as low as i have ever heard. if you had an infant, this could have been a real disaster.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Netting down =huge warning.....

too bad for your friends.....

William, all the new bottles of Brugal Extra Viejo, and Anejo don't have netting over the cap. It's been this way since they were bought out. Different bottle, and different packaging.
Sorry to the OP.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
is there any way you could find the shop name/address? i guess that saving the bottles (with rum inside) may be too much to ask, eh? but nonetheless, please provide purchase details. brugal takes those cases very seriously. i'll forward the info to the main office. i know they have dealt with cases like this before, it's possible the rum your friends bought is counterfeit...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
William, all the new bottles of Brugal Extra Viejo, and Anejo don't have netting over the cap. It's been this way since they were bought out. Different bottle, and different packaging.
Sorry to the OP.

Thanks, I haven't had to replenish my stock recently..... intake down these days...

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
It was in the Conde on one of the side streets. It was a pretty big store, had a small bar inside. I think all the taxis from the Hotels bring their guests there. The guests saying "we want to buy souvenirs, where is the best place in the Conde". It was a Sunday. The store was big seems you if walked through the store if you went all the way to the back you would exit out onto the street behind the store. I have been in that store before. They have cigar area also. To be honest I was not paying a lot of attention since I loathe souvenir shops. We took the taxi from the Hotel. Funny about the netting the bottles I bought did not have netting, bought at the super market. I still have one. I was just looking at it to see if I could see a difference. They wanted to go to the Conde to buy some stuff and while they were there they decided to buy their rum. I just feel bad since I should have known better.