Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Watered down rum?

My friends who just returned home after visiting for a week called me last night. They bought some Barceló and Brugal Anejo to take home. They said they had some last night and they felt it tasted like it was watered down. It did not taste as strong or the same as the one I gave them while they were at my house. Mind you I do not buy my rum (when I do buy rum) at souvenir/tourist areas. I normally buy mine at the supermarket. They did not notice that the caps on the bottles had been previously opened so I really have no clue on why the difference in taste. Any takes on why it would seem different. They were drinking it straight with no mixer or ice.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know but there was a scam where I used to live- where people sold tea instead of whiskey, so watered down rum sounds a better option than plain tea

3. Likes keepcoming liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Their neighbour is from the Dominican and he says he thinks it is watered down. Definitely not the same as what they had while they were here. Didn't bottles use to have some type of official seal? I seem to recall that but I could be wrong. Told them to save the bottle of the rum and when I go back in a couple of weeks I will bring one from where I normally buy from and we can compare. I know they bought these from one of the souvenir shops in the Conde.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keepcoming View Post
    My friends who just returned home after visiting for a week called me last night. They bought some Barceló and Brugal Anejo to take home. They said they had some last night and they felt it tasted like it was watered down. It did not taste as strong or the same as the one I gave them while they were at my house. Mind you I do not buy my rum (when I do buy rum) at souvenir/tourist areas. I normally buy mine at the supermarket. They did not notice that the caps on the bottles had been previously opened so I really have no clue on why the difference in taste. Any takes on why it would seem different. They were drinking it straight with no mixer or ice.
    Where did they buy it? Its common on AI to experience such behavior. Remember in the DR scamming is a "craft" a "trade" a "profession/career" where some have very polished skills.

6. Likes keepcoming liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i remember some years ago, guys were selling bogus Johnny Walker Black. tasted like what i think horse p^^s should taste like.

8. Likes keepcoming liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Keepcoming, sometimes it comes in those twist off caps. Just make sure that when you try to open it, it makes clicking sounds. If it doesn't, it means it was tampered with.

10. Likes keepcoming liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expat13 View Post
    Where did they buy it? Its common on AI to experience such behavior. Remember in the DR scamming is a "craft" a "trade" a "profession/career" where some have very polished skills.
    some guys here will scam you for 10 pesos, even if it is to his everlasting detriment.

12. Likes keepcoming liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats a red flag right there..... always check the caps......I promise I will from now on.

Somebody got thirsty in the Duty Free and had some swigs.... replenished the bottle

14. Likes keepcoming liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

watch out buying bottled water from the street vendors who come up to your car window on the hot days.

16. Likes keepcoming liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    ........Somebody got thirsty in the Duty Free and had some swigs.... replenished the bottle
    LOL, but so possible.

Actually it is best to purchase booze to take home from the supermarket and put it in your checked luggage. The Duty Free does NOT always have the cheapest prices compared to the supermarkets or larger liquor stores.

18. Likes keepcoming, CaptnGlenn liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast