Banana Liquor

May 5, 2007
Many many years ago I had some banana liquor from Cuba. It was not Schnapps nor was it liqueur. It was the smoothest stuff, not high in alcohol but something that tasted great chilled and then consumed neat or over rocks. Very strong banana taste not overwhelmed by the alcohol

I know this bottle came back from Cuba pre 1959 so any ideas?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I don't know what is more fascinating...the fact that you got a hold of a bottle of banana alcohol pre-1959, or that you are brave enough to drink something that was more then 50 years old?

Good for you!

I don't think i would have the balls to drink something that had been opened for more then 50 years.

Frank

May 5, 2007
I don't know what is more fascinating...the fact that you got a hold of a bottle of banana alcohol pre-1959, or that you are brave enough to drink something that was more then 50 years old?

Good for you!

I don't think i would have the balls to drink something that had been opened for more then 50 years.

Frank

It was about 25 years ago we drank it, I'm slow sometimes :ermm:

Alcohol is a pretty good preservative

gray

Apr 11, 2013
it still is sold in Cuba ... great stuff just like you said over the rocks... Do i hear a road trip?
haven't seen it here though

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
...or make your own???

2 medium-sized very ripe bananas
3 cups good quality vodka
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
? cup water

Peel and mash the bananas. Combine banana, vodka, and vanilla extract in a jar; mix well. Cover tightly and let steep in a cool, dark place for 1 week. When steeping period is complete, strain and filter the liquid with a cheesecloth.

Combine sugar and water in a heavy saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer until sugar has completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.

Combine simple sugar syrup and the filtered banana liquid. Pour into bottles and cap tightly. Let age at least one (1) month before serving.

May 29, 2006
Or you can source out some Torani Syrups. I use the Vanilla for icings because unlike extract, it's clear. They have something like 50 flavors.

Home | Torani

I'd prob do a flaming Bananas Foster's drink with banana liquor. It also pairs well with Kalua and Choc liquors.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
...or make your own???

2 medium-sized very ripe bananas
3 cups good quality vodka
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
? cup water

Peel and mash the bananas. Combine banana, vodka, and vanilla extract in a jar; mix well. Cover tightly and let steep in a cool, dark place for 1 week. When steeping period is complete, strain and filter the liquid with a cheesecloth.

Combine sugar and water in a heavy saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer until sugar has completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.

Combine simple sugar syrup and the filtered banana liquid. Pour into bottles and cap tightly. Let age at least one (1) month before serving.

Genius!

Frank

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
this reminded me of a similar thing that an old friend had at a party like 10 years ago. She is Puerto Rican, and brought it to the U.S. from there. can't remember what it was called, but it sounds like the same stuff. I do remember that she said it was served on special occasions and holidays. IIRC, particularly the Christmas holidays.