Oh you will love this.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In a revealing move, the DGII has released the new tax schedule on vehicular circulation permits (called "marbetes")....it means a big hit to your wallet.

Go to Direccion General de Impuestos Internos, on the left side there is a place that says "Servicios" and then Vehiculos de Motor....click on your make and model, see what they say it is worth, and then take 1%, and THAT is what it will cost you to drive around the DR this coming year.

Do not be drinking coffee while doing this. It might ruin your day.

A quick look seems to indicate that some people will be paying many times what they paid before.

Good for a laugh if you have a little old car; not so good if you are driving something really nice.

HB: VW Polo...2003 -> will pay around RD$1400, instead of the RD$1200 last year

HB

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In a revealing move, the DGII has released the new tax schedule on vehicular circulation permits (called "marbetes")....it means a big hit to your wallet.

Go to Direccion General de Impuestos Internos, on the left side there is a place that says "Servicios" and then Vehiculos de Motor....click on your make and model, see what they say it is worth, and then take 1%, and THAT is what it will cost you to drive around the DR this coming year.

Do not be drinking coffee while doing this. It might ruin your day.

A quick look seems to indicate that some people will be paying many times what they paid before.

Good for a laugh if you have a little old car; not so good if you are driving something really nice.

HB: VW Polo...2003 -> will pay around RD$1400, instead of the RD$1200 last year

HB

you mean that people are likely to go into paroxysms of distress over a 200 peso per year increase?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
My 2002 montero pays 1900 pesos. Not that bad. My 2005 Peugeot will cost 2600 pesos. Big increase but still cheap, I'd pay double that per TRIMESTER in Holland

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I must be brain dead, i followed above but do not see anywhere to search or click my vehicle

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Sucks to be me....

So there will be extra payment $8893 coming up next month? Insurance payment is coming up so I guess I am due to pay this amount as well? All of our birthdays, insurance, tuition and this. It seems like they just want to kill me on summer months. I can't wait until September.

eurodominican

Nov 19, 2005
com
The good news probably is that the government will use the extra money for better infrastructure, education, security, hospitals, energy and water etc. Or am I too optimistic?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
you mean that people are likely to go into paroxysms of distress over a 200 peso per year increase?

Try an increase from 2000 to 9000 for me, NOT 200 DOP!!!!!! As its clear Ladronel positioned Mr. Good guy Danilo in office for 4 years where optically it will look like he is the nice guy trying to change the country for the better while quietly jamming heavy taxes up our asses.... After 4 yeras of this, we will all hate him, Leonel will act like he is in "shock and awe" for such taxes, but sadly as always taxes once implemented cannot be removed only increased. Leonel new campaign will be all about "no more taxes" as he had Danilo do it for him.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I must be brain dead, i followed above but do not see anywhere to search or click my vehicle
I tried to follow the link that was provided in Diario Libre this morning and ofcourse it was completely different as they explained. Anyway, on the left you see a box Servicios, inside the box the second option is Vehiculos de Motor. Once clicked you will see on the right a box called Vehiculos de Motor, the first option is Consulta de Vehiculos Livianos. Click on that link and you will be able to select Brand, Model and Year.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Sounds fair to me. I just looked at the price table they provide, and it seems to be spot on. 1% of the value of the vehicle seems to be a fair tax.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my general feeling is that someone who can afford a car that costs 50-100 thousand dollars can also fork out the tax. if not, he is an idiot and CANNOT afford the car he drives. don't have a car you cannot afford to drive in terms of taxes, petrol usage, insurance and maintenance. simple as that.