Boxes for moving

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Where can I buy boxes for moving? I'm getting some from friends but I would like some a little more sturdy and bigger.
I am in Santiago.

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Did you not buy the house you're renting?

No. I thought it through very well and with all of the different advice, I have decided not to finance in the Dominican Republic. For me it is too risky. I am going to build and instead of trying to be fast about it, I will do it little by little. Will be buying a solar in August or the fall, and will start from there.
I loved the house I was renting and I was receiving pressure from the Real Estate person and the owner to buy it after only 2 weeks in it. You probably remember my posts regarding that. Well, when I decided not to buy I gave the owner the option of me moving at the end of my contract in August or I could stay renting until she found a buyer. I agreed to let her put up the letrero and show the house to any possible buyers 3 x per week. I was hoping she would chose the latter but she got upset and said no, that I should move at the end of the contract. It will be her loss, as I am a very good tenant and paid my rent on time every month. Every Dominican in my neighborhood says that she did that to scare me because she knew that I loved the house and maybe she thought I would change my mind if she said that.
Well, I found another house and am moving in 2 weeks. My rent is due on the 20th of every month and I did not pay last week as I have a feeling there will be some issues getting my 2 months deposit back from them. So when I leave on July 15th, I will be owed 1 month deposit. I have 2 hired Domestic helpers and my house is kept very clean and well taken care of at all times. It will be her loss.
I am moving to a nice neighborhood, up and coming, with many lots for sale. I think in the next 5-10 years it will be very nice once all houses are built. Those of you that have me on Facebook probably have seen the pics already. It's beautiful, right? A little bit of a b*tch for me though because I bought a lot of things that are already included in the new house (refrigerator, stove, inversor, batteries, microwave, etc.). But I will just store them as you never know what will happen. The new house is pricey but it is nice and the kids are excited for the air conditioning and the pool :) Its more space than I could need and the kids have their own huge bedrooms. When taken on the tour of the house, I mistook one of the secondary bedrooms (the one that will be my daughter's) for the Master bedroom. That gives you a little idea of the size of the bedrooms, including each own bathroom.
God is good. Everything happens for a reason, and I have been blessed. I won't feel bad about losing the other house because of such crazy Dominican logic on the owner's behalf. We'll see how long it takes to sell, as I was told it sat for 2 years before I rented it. She'll regret soon enough but I am happy and we are packing and Victor is excited to get his "Thomas the Train" bedroom :)

SHALENA

Sep 4, 2012
Thanks for the detailed reply, wishing you well and the best on the new house and new life with that. I've plans to start building myself within the next three years "si Dios quiere." :)

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I do have another question. Currently there are 4 televisions in my house (I do not have one in my bedroom as of yet because I am looking to buy a 42" and just haven't gotten around to it) so in the new house there will actually be 6. Right now we have Claro and with something with them you can only have 3 TVs on at the same time, not any more than 3.
Someone told me that I can put 3 TVs with Claro service and the other 3 with another service provider and be able to watch all at once. Is this true?
This is not a problem until bedtime as the kids go to bed at 9 and are allowed a half an hour of TV watching until 9:30. Each in their own room, Bertania in her room and me in the family room or my room, it will be a problem.
I was thinking that when we move we can put 3 TVs on Claro and the other 3 on Wind, that way everyone can be in their bed watching TV at the same time. Is this feasible or not possible? Thanks.

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks for the detailed reply, wishing you well and the best on the new house and new life with that. I've plans to start building myself within the next three years "si Dios quiere." :)

There are many solares in my new neighborhood!!!

SHALENA

Sep 4, 2012
I've already got the one, paid for with deslinde and tittle. The blue prints are almost final too, far away from Santiago though, is on the east.

Sep 4, 2012
I do have another question. Currently there are 4 televisions in my house (I do not have one in my bedroom as of yet because I am looking to buy a 42" and just haven't gotten around to it) so in the new house there will actually be 6. Right now we have Claro and with something with them you can only have 3 TVs on at the same time, not any more than 3.
Someone told me that I can put 3 TVs with Claro service and the other 3 with another service provider and be able to watch all at once. Is this true?
This is not a problem until bedtime as the kids go to bed at 9 and are allowed a half an hour of TV watching until 9:30. Each in their own room, Bertania in her room and me in the family room or my room, it will be a problem.
I was thinking that when we move we can put 3 TVs on Claro and the other 3 on Wind, that way everyone can be in their bed watching TV at the same time. Is this feasible or not possible? Thanks.

SHALENA

You've lived in the DR long enough to know that "everything" is possible. Talk to that Claro guy and "arrange" for the extra connections. Trust me, he'll do it for a few extra pesos :)

From my mobile device

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
It's not the connections, it's something with the service. The guy said you can connect as many TVs as you like but only 3 will run at once time. Which is true because anytime we turn on the 4th, after about 10 minutes, one of the TVs will go blank and state something like "unable to get signal" or something like that.

SHALENA

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
When the house you are currently renting is totally empty of your belongings, take detailed photos of every room especially the kitchen.
And make sure the owner is aware that you have taken these photos.............

B in Santiago