Homemade MOSQUITO REPELLENT

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
For those of you with Mosquito invasions. Here's an easy & pleasant repellent recipe you can make at home:

Combine in a 16 oz bottle:
15 drops lavender oil
3-4 Tbsp of vanilla extract
1/4 Cup lemon juice.
Fill bottle with w

May 29, 2006
I've heard an effective way of killing them is to put out sponges with apple juice mixed with a little Boric acid. Both male and female mosquitoes feed on nectar and sap and the boric acid will kill them.

May 29, 2006
Mosquito trap made from a soda bottle, some sugar water and a little yeast. The yeast puts off CO2 which attracts the mosquitoes.

mosquito_trap_s.jpg
\

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
I'll take mosq's over spiders any day! AHHHH!

Spiders are my friends when it comes to reducing the mosquitoes population, they never bother me and I never bother them.

But if you want to take a nice chunk out of the mosq pop, use a mosquito magnet, it retails for about $250 and $600 at Walmart, HD and Sam's Club.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Those giant DR spiders creep me out, and if they surprise me you'll hear a screech. Mr. AE says don't kill them because 'they eat mosquitos'. How they do that I'm not sure, because mosquitos are so much faster. No matter, I wouldn't have the guts to squish one anyway.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
My wife freaked out on the spider and I would be too. She said it was size of her fist and I believe her. The watchie was scared too but he killed it for my wife.

As for mosquito...
We do have screens on our windows but we just got the mosquito trap for those that gets in and it's been running for about a week now. I haven't checked if it actually work but, I'll check if it caught anything over the weekend. It may just be in my mind but I have noticed less bites in the house and it's makes little to no noise and serve well as night light.

Amazon.com: INADAYS InaTrap Electronic Insect Killer and Elegant Night Light - Blue: Patio, Lawn & Garden

May 29, 2006
Those giant DR spiders creep me out, and if they surprise me you'll hear a screech. Mr. AE says don't kill them because 'they eat mosquitos'. How they do that I'm not sure, because mosquitos are so much faster. No matter, I wouldn't have the guts to squish one anyway.

I think the big ones also eat mice..

I do not kill anything down here. Have not understood why they have to kill snakes and big spiders.
When i told them the snakes and spiders eat rats mice cockroaches etc they didnt quite belive me.

I have a beautiful kakata outside my home, i check on her every night to see she is alive

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
One of these days I will meet my first spider in the dr and you will all hear me!
But I promise not to kill it:D

May 29, 2006
And small lizards.

Those lizards do eat mosquitos so the cacatas are not helping with the mosquitos :(

If I end up settling in the DR like I'd like to, I'm going to get some boards mounted in and outside of the house for the geckos to hide in so they can hunt at night. The anoles do a good job of hunting in the daytime and also eat the larvae.

I heard something about some Dominicans not liking lizards, but that seems crazy when they are everywhere and they eat bugs.