Police presence in the morning...

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I was about 10 minutes late this morning. I've notice there were police (or was that AMET?) gathering on street and thought nothing of it until I got out of Duarte and started to drive local street. About 3-5 minutes off Duarte, I was blinded by sunlight, stopped car, and oncoming traffic but there was definitely Police or AMET stopping passing cars. I just pass by them but I didn't know if they actually gets up in the morning about 7:15.

We have noticed many increased military presence in small streets and places that we go often like supermarkets and malls in Santiago. Is this common thing and they increase security for no reason? or Is there something that I've missed? And do police actually collect money in the 7AM morning?

Taca?o

Dec 30, 2012
I still don't get it, I seel military with M16 or whatever it is in groups of 2 por ejemplo standing at a bridge across the road from Sambil.

Now I don't live in this country, I don't know the history of that location.. but it's hard to believe that a location like that had a history that bad in order to prevent history to repeat itself they need military.

I see these armed forces a lot, all I hope for is that one didn't wake up all fckd in the mind ready to just shoot for the hell of it!

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
So it isn't just Santiago...

There's seems to be all of sudden increased number with armed military in Santiago. I thought it was just one day or week training thing but my wife and I've seen them for few weeks now. Just like you said walking in pairs. And sometimes in groups on Rafael Vidal stopping random cars and people. I know police I can just drive off but I wouldn't pass by group of military personal with machine guns.

Am I missing something here? Is there going to be some random spray of bullets that I should be aware of?

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
I was about 10 minutes late this morning. I've notice there were police (or was that AMET?) gathering on street and thought nothing of it until I got out of Duarte and started to drive local street. About 3-5 minutes off Duarte, I was blinded by sunlight, stopped car, and oncoming traffic but there was definitely Police or AMET stopping passing cars. I just pass by them but I didn't know if they actually gets up in the morning about 7:15.

We have noticed many increased military presence in small streets and places that we go often like supermarkets and malls in Santiago. Is this common thing and they increase security for no reason? or Is there something that I've missed? And do police actually collect money in the 7AM morning?

I guess answers to your questions are in this article:

[h=3]Crime down 50%[/h]Armed Forces Minister Sigfrido Pared Perez said yesterday, Monday 24 June, that as a result of the Citizen Security Plan, in which 3,500 members of the military are patrolling the streets as well the police, crime has been reduced by more than 50% across the whole country in the last few days.

He said that every Monday, the Armed Forces evaluate the situation to see if crime has reduced, and that they are working in places where the police are not and that although many people are criticizing their involvement, the reality was that the country could not hide from crime. He stressed however, that the military patrols were a temporary measure.

He continued by saying that if the new Organic Law for the Armed Forces were approved, promotions would depend on qualifications and the number of generals would be reduced.

The existing law dates back to 1988, and although it is good, it is a little behind the times as since then the Ministry has created new institutions and structures for education and performance. He said that there were currently more than 130 generals, and over the next six years there would be less than half that number.

www.elnuevodiario.com.do/app/article.aspx?id=334701

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is in direct response to the increased crime and should be therefore welcomed. Crime appears to be down btw.

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
So it isn't just Santiago...

There's seems to be all of sudden increased number with armed military in Santiago. I thought it was just one day or week training thing but my wife and I've seen them for few weeks now. Just like you said walking in pairs. And sometimes in groups on Rafael Vidal stopping random cars and people. I know police I can just drive off but I wouldn't pass by group of military personal with machine guns.

Am I missing something here? Is there going to be some random spray of bullets that I should be aware of?
Or a Coup De' Tat coming up...LOL

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
It's a good thing when living in this country to learn the language and read the newspaper. This has been in the news for weeks already. Today it was stated that this is a temporary measure (unfortunately, especially after I read yesterday that 6000 criminals are being repatriated from USA RO DR the coming months).

eurodominican

Nov 19, 2005
com
It's a good thing when living in this country to learn the language and read the newspaper. This has been in the news for weeks already. Today it was stated that this is a temporary measure (unfortunately, especially after I read yesterday that 6000 criminals are being repatriated from USA RO DR the coming months).

These criminals could be very fine politicians.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It would be nice if they could just load them onto a truck on arrival, take them away and drop them off a cliff in sharks cove.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
not enough sharks here as they have been eaten. DR could maybe send them for medical experiments or organ donation.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
not enough sharks here as they have been eaten. DR could maybe send them for medical experiments or organ donation.

Nah, the military police will take care of them. If they're still patrolling by the time these criminals arrive, if they go on a crime spree, they'll be shot on the spot. The locals know that the military does not play.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I still don't get it, I seel military with M16 or whatever it is in groups of 2 por ejemplo standing at a bridge across the road from Sambil.

Now I don't live in this country, I don't know the history of that location.. but it's hard to believe that a location like that had a history that bad in order to prevent history to repeat itself they need military.

That, my friend, has been a dangerous area since like ever. Almost everything east of Maximo Gomez and north of Kennedy is "territorio apache"...
Lots of conchos, lots of people waiting for conchos, lots of escape routes for thieves....