What is the best way to get 42" flat screen to santo domingo.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
buy it in santo domingo

^^ This, unless you already have it.
A 42" LED goes for around US$1,000 in SD. If you ship it from abroad, it's probably going to cost you at least $200 in taxes, plus shipping, plus no warranty, plus the risk of DOA.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
^^ This, unless you already have it.
A 42" LED goes for around US$1,000 in SD. If you ship it from abroad, it's probably going to cost you at least $200 in taxes, plus shipping, plus no warranty, plus the risk of DOA.

Best Buy is providing now extended warranties on your purchase that will be sent to the DR.

I already bought some stuff, including a large screen TV that was sent to DR with said extended international warranty coverage from Best Buy.

The biggest problem for somebody just looking to ship the TV by itself to the DR will be the cost of such shipping. From experience it's best to bundle it with other stuff and get a package deal from the local shippers to the DR. By itself the TV rates for door to door is too high, unless it's a sub 40" TV set.

I always buy insurance for shipping damages when sending pricey stuff that can be damaged in the trip. It's worth it.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Best Buy is providing now extended warranties on your purchase that will be sent to the DR.

I already bought some stuff, including a large screen TV that was sent to DR with said extended international warranty coverage from Best Buy.

Do you happen to know who provides service on behalf of Best Buy in RD? That information could make a difference.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Do you happen to know who provides service on behalf of Best Buy in RD? That information could make a difference.

Only manufacturer's authorized service centers in the DR. Under a deal with Best Buy and the manufacturers, the original manufacturer's warranty is honored in the DR. Once the manufacturer's warranty stops or does not cover the damages/repair/parts, Best Buy warranty is also honored via the same authorized service centers. If the price of repairs (including parts) is deemed too high by Best Buy, they will refund your full price paid for the TV set, minus taxes and warranty fee.

The manufacturer's warranty will be honored in the DR, even when the goods were bought outside the country and shipped to the DR from Best Buy.

That's to say that the same warranty the retailers provide (manufacturer's) in the DR for the same TV set, will be equally honored for the TV set from Best Buy.

They will have you contact the closest manufacturer's authorized repair center to you when you call them for service. That will depend on where in the DR you are with your stuff. They will issue a contact number and a service order number to have the TV set checked and the repair estimate provided to both, you and Best Buy (depending on the basis if the Best Buy warranty kicks in).

I asked a lot of questions when they offered me the extended warranty thing as I purchased the TV set.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I purchased a 42" last year from American for 750.00 USD. Within a month the vertical motor in went and the TV was toast. I called American and it took about 10 days but they did give me another brand new TV under warranty. For the couple of bucks you might save up front I would suggest you buy electronics locally.
Hope this helps

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I purchased a 42" last year from American for 750.00 USD. Within a month the vertical motor in went and the TV was toast. I called American and it took about 10 days but they did give me another brand new TV under warranty. For the couple of bucks you might save up front I would suggest you buy electronics locally.
Hope this helps
That should be Americana (The hardware store)

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Or better yet, buy a 39" 4k TV for $699 and make it worth the door to door charge. After all you don't need to disclose the brand/tech but the size of the screen and if used or new.

Seiki 39" Class 4K 120Hz LED Ultra HDTV - SE39UY04 ENERGY STAR? - TVs & Electronics - Televisions - All Flat Panel TVs

Seiki-SE39UY04-39-inch-4K-TV.jpg

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Is there a God ??
That is another frequently asked question.
T

Strap the TV to the wing.... ask the airline first, then book a 'wingside' seat...

If i was flying a Dominican airline i would, or better yet just get the guy hanging out the door to hold it for me.

i already have the TV. Maybe i will try to check it one time when i am flying down there.

Side note, does anybody know how many checked bags u can bring? I would like to check 4 bags on my next trip.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
4D now vs. later

Every time, and I mean EVERY time, I've bought first generation technology I came to regret it once I came to understand the insanely high cost and/or the bugs.

Or better yet, buy a 39" 4k TV for $699 and make it worth the door to door charge. After all you don't need to disclose the brand/tech but the size of the screen and if used or new.

Seiki 39" Class 4K 120Hz LED Ultra HDTV - SE39UY04 ENERGY STAR? - TVs & Electronics - Televisions - All Flat Panel TVs

Seiki-SE39UY04-39-inch-4K-TV.jpg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Before you pay for the extra bags, ask about a first class upgrade.....
not much more $$$ , more free bags and heavier bags allowed.

and free food & drinks !!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Before you pay for the extra bags, ask about a first class upgrade.....
not much more $$$ , more free bags and heavier bags allowed.

and free food & drinks !!

Yup. Sometimes we do the Business Class on AA on the way down. Allows 3 suitcases each, so 6 instead of 2. Then we fly back coach [we try to nest the extra bags inside the bigger suitcases]. Sometimes I find nice big suitcases at yard sales/flea markets for a few dollars, then we just give them to the maid or caretaker to give away.