Tyson Foods wants DR Chickens

May 29, 2006
Makes sense. Processing is a horrible job that often employs immigrants. I avoid buying Tyson in general because they inject saline into so many of their products and other practices. It's a big industry in the US for immigrants from the Marshall Islands.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm waiting to see how long it takes for the Haitian's to rescind their ban after they hear this.

Tyson will not only buy the chickens, they'll create jobs for Dominicans to process them. Win-Win.

May 29, 2006
Tyson will prob get USDA inspections and then ship to Haiti. My guess is right around 8M chickens a month..

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
This is great news. Says that Tyson is going to build an entire plant for just exporting to the US. Also says that the industry here produces between 14 and 16 million birds a month and the local market is only 12 million .. and they have a capacity to produce 24 million. So there will still be plenty to export to Haiti if and when there is ever trade in them opened up again. But this will really help the DR with their export marketing.

You really do not want to say "adios Haiti" since there is really no divorce when the other country lives right next door. Everyone here ought to be pulling for all this to get resolved so that trade can go on, so that Haiti can perhaps get on its feet.

I know that Dominicans do not think that this can happen, that they regard Haiti as a complete failure as in always was and always will be... but I wonder where the security of the DR is gonna be if things in Haiti continue to get worse.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Since Haiti already imports the majority of its chickens from the US and since Tyson's is the major US producer.. maybe this was reason for boycott in the first place?

don't listen to me. I am the resident conspiracy theorist.

But if Dominicans thought that Mme Martelly raised chickens, how about the guy who imports Tysons?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
for those of you who were following the chicken thread on the Haiti forum, there was this talk of proper shipping, proper containers, proper certification.. which seemed really odd. Odd timing. I thought it was all about taxing the imports, about using local truckers. But if Haiti had really wanted something like that, something concrete, they would have put it right on the table. Ok, well they did say that they were going to send a team over to inspect and certify.

Jan 9, 2004
I'm waiting to see how long it takes for the Haitian's to rescind their ban after they hear this.

Tyson will not only buy the chickens, they'll create jobs for Dominicans to process them. Win-Win.

Tyson has had a presence in the DR for over 10 years. They just do it under a different corporate subsidiary named Cobb, Caribe, S.A., which is owned by Cobb-Vantress, Inc. which is a subsidiary of Tyson. Often done to keep a low profile.....and it has worked so far in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I must be getting my chicken from the wrong place then.... Or did the U.S. start liking small crappy tasting chicken breasts?

May 29, 2006
When I first came to the DR, it's true that the chickens were a bit more scrawny. They were also much more delicious.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When I first came to the DR, it's true that the chickens were a bit more scrawny. They were also much more delicious.

of course!! the US chickens are eating all kinds of synthetic pellets. our guys and girls eat cockroaches, spiders, the odd centipede..yum.

May 29, 2006
of course!! the US chickens are eating all kinds of synthetic pellets. our guys and girls eat cockroaches, spiders, the odd centipede..yum.

You can always get organic Chickens in the US, but they aren't cheap. One of my friends raises his own for eggs and meat along with goats and turkeys, but putting in two months or more for a dozen chickens and then having to butcher them seems like a lot work to me. And he has to worry about foxes, weasels and raccoons.

You can get whole chicken for as low as a buck a pound in the US. It's cheaper than most produce.