How much you pay your criada?

Apr 13, 2011
In my area, some are paying 8000 pesos/m and some are paying 10,000 pesos/m for live-in service lady (basically 5.5 days a week, Mon-Fri and Sat morning)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
We pay 11000, live in, every second weekend off (lives in San Pedro, doesn't want to go home every week.

Laundry lady earns 4500 for coming twice a week.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
7000rd$ for 6 days a week. She does laundry, she cooks lunch, she cleans our place. Small apartment, 5 persons. She takes care of the youngest kid. This includes her eating breakfast and lunch. She comes a bit before 8am, and leaves at 5pm.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Both of my Dominican sisters-in-law who live in Santo Domingo pay 7000 pesos a month for live-in help. One has a 3 bedroom condo in El Millon [5 person household] and the other has a McMansion in Los Prados [3 person household, I know hers gets every other weekend off].

In the campo, they are paid appreciably less, we were told 3000 pesos, which astounded me. We made the decision to pay what our SILs pay. We have a middle-aged [50 ish] woman who my suegra knew for years, a neighbor. It's just the two of us, small house, no laundry [I won't let her near our clothes or our machine :bunny:]. She comes about 7.30-8 a.m. and leaves about 4 [always telling us to call her if we need her in the evening, but we never have]. Does the cleaning and cooking of breakfast and lunch [main meal of day], changes linens, etc. Eats breakfast and lunch, takes home lunch/dinner for her granddaughter who she is raising. We trust her, which is worth a lot to us.

The only issue we have is that she and the caretaker absolutely hate each other. No peace in that respect. Even when we're not there one or the other calls us to complain about something the other one said or did.:ermm:

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
The last one we had, we paid her $3,000. She came at 8:30 and left around 2:000 p.m. Monday- Sat. Mostly cleaning and errands, sometimes cooking, no laundry or ironing.

My cousin, in Santo Domingo had one that came 3 days a week, Monday to Friday, 7:30 a.m. till noon. Cleaning, laundry and ironing. She paid her RD$4,000.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The 4500 is on top of the 11000 for the laundry services?
Yes, that's another lady. We have a lot of laundry.

The one of 11000 does cooking and cleaning. It's a two story house and my wife likes everything to be cleaned daily, so it's a lot of work. We used to pay 8000 but couldn't stick with a maid, probably while they thought it was too much work for the amount of money.

We pay relatively much but to get and keep the good ones that's what you have to do, apparently.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
We have one 3 days a week for cleaning, cooking and laundry. We pay her 4000$ RD per month, payable the 15th and 30th. Before that, she was coming in 5 days a week, for 8000$ RD per month.

We had to cut her hours due to our job loss in June.

Sep 4, 2012
Both of my Dominican sisters-in-law who live in Santo Domingo pay 7000 pesos a month for live-in help. One has a 3 bedroom condo in El Millon [5 person household] and the other has a McMansion in Los Prados [3 person household, I know hers gets every other weekend off].

In the campo, they are paid appreciably less, we were told 3000 pesos, which astounded me. We made the decision to pay what our SILs pay. We have a middle-aged [50 ish] woman who my suegra knew for years, a neighbor. It's just the two of us, small house, no laundry [I won't let her near our clothes or our machine :bunny:]. She comes about 7.30-8 a.m. and leaves about 4 [always telling us to call her if we need her in the evening, but we never have]. Does the cleaning and cooking of breakfast and lunch [main meal of day], changes linens, etc. Eats breakfast and lunch, takes home lunch/dinner for her granddaughter who she is raising. We trust her, which is worth a lot to us.

The only issue we have is that she and the caretaker absolutely hate each other. No peace in that respect. Even when we're not there one or the other calls us to complain about something the other one said or did.:ermm:

Almost my exact situation with the exception that she and the caretaker get along well lol.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
400/day..... pretty full day.... 3x a week

Comes for dinner clean-up - 100DRP/hr is what I pay her

Just house work, laundry & ironing.

Solved the 'inside/outside' problem by hiring the wife..... no more boundaries, full cooperation... much better

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
Pay $9000/ month. But just added $2500/ month so she could buy health insurance.

Only 2 of us, in a condo, so she only has to spend about 4-5 hours/ day to do cleaning, laundry, ironing and cooking noon meal. So 6 Days/ week works out to 24-30 hours/ week. But she is willing to work a full day, we just don't need that unless we have guests.

We've had her 3 years and no problems at all. She's never even been late!! We will be moving soon, so if anyone near Kite Beach needs an honest, reliable and cheerful housekeeper, let me know. I highly recommend her. And her cooking is outstanding.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
2.5k for health insurance? I pay a little over 1K myself for premium health insurance.

Seems like you are taking for a ride...

BelgianK

southwardbound2

Jun 5, 2008
2.5k for health insurance? I pay a little over 1K myself for premium health insurance.

Seems like you are taking for a ride...

BelgianK
It's the best we could find and it covers her family. Lots cheaper if I wanted to become her "employer" and get the public insurance. But I wanted to keep me out of that. So she's paying for it on open market herself.