Ductless Mini Split AC units

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
Does anyone here have one of these units? If so was it bought in DR or shipped in? What can one expect to pay for a unit capable of cooling 400-500 SqFt in DR? Installation cost? Im looking at a 1 ton unit with 9000-12000 BTU cooling. Any recommendations for HVAC company in Santo Domingo? I know Americana sells these and probably Popular but do they also have installation available?

Thanks

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You can buy them everywhere here in the DR.
Most times including the instalation.
There are now 2 types.
Standard, and "Inverter", which can save 50 % on electric use.
I have both, but will now replace the standard units with Inverter, as needed.
I suggest "Plaza Lama", and an "LG" product.
Will cost between 18,000, and 38,000 pesos, depending on size, and inverter,or standard.
I have all "LG's" from "Plaza Lama".
Check the "Papers", and wait for a "Sale"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Does anyone here have one of these units? If so was it bought in DR or shipped in? What can one expect to pay for a unit capable of cooling 400-500 SqFt in DR? Installation cost? Im looking at a 1 ton unit with 9000-12000 BTU cooling. Any recommendations for HVAC company in Santo Domingo? I know Americana sells these and probably Popular but do they also have installation available?

Thanks

They are available all over the place, as prevalent a largatos!

12,000 BTU for 500 square feet is a little small for most lower elevations locations here in the DR, better bigger than smaller. There are other things to consider than only square footage.

if an Inverter A.C. is undersized for its location it defeats the purpose of an inverter unit and could actually consume more energy than a standard high efficiency A.C.

I know you aren't asking about choice advice, only where to find advice but if you can't find a split A.C. unit anywhere in the populated areas of the DR you may just need a little more help than your asking for :classic:

g'luck!

Los Lobos

Mar 8, 2011
They are available all over the place, as prevalent a largatos!

12,000 BTU for 500 square feet is a little small for most lower elevations locations here in the DR, better bigger than smaller. There are other things to consider than only square footage.

if an Inverter A.C. is undersized for its location it defeats the purpose of an inverter unit and could actually consume more energy than a standard high efficiency A.C.

I know you aren't asking about choice advice, only where to find advice but if you can't find a split A.C. unit anywhere in the populated areas of the DR you may just need a little more help than your asking for :classic:

g'luck!

Im not currently in DR. I have seen them at Ferriteria Americana and Popular while down there but didn't really give them a good look over because wasn't ready for it. Im coming back down for the month of September and I am contemplating on weather to get one in the states and ship it down or just get one in DR. I would like to stay with one of the units that are 110-115 Volts so I don't have to wire an outlet for 220. One with the Invertor is the way to go for sure. Im just looking for a comparison on if its better to get it in DR or ship it down. Probably best just to get one there after you calculate shipping cost, taxes and getting someone to install it. Room is actually on about 350 SqFt bedroom. I want to come prepared with the funds if Im getting it in DR.

Thanks

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Buy it here.
Go to "Diario Libre" online.
You can check all the ad's there everyday.
Compare with the USA price, just be sure to add on the costs for shipping, and customs fees when it gets here.
The choice will be very clear.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC