Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Taking motorcycle exhaust in checked baggage to DR

I am taking a motorcycle exhaust system (basically some metal pipe and a big muffler) to the DR in my checked luggage, just wondering if I will have problems with American Airlines, US security, or Dominican customs? Any advice? I don't wanna take the invoice because its high performance, $700 system. You think they might take it apart?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

only thing i can say is it is not a electronic item and just act like a tourist like this is your first time here and they might not look

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If it isn't new and sealed in a factory box, there could be problems. I almost got kicked off of a flight because I was bringing a new camp stove and they took it apart and swabbed it for hydrocarbon residue. I think I would have lost the entire cost of my ticket because they said there was no way I could just leave it there. It was a very stressful situation.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It is new, but its out of the boxes.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Then do your homework. It might be better to ship it. If you can replace it with another still in the box, it would save a lot of headaches. I tried to call the airport about it and check online, but they are useless until you get there. Check on contraband items if you can. With a part that expensive, I'd also worry about insuring it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

damn i heard about guys cutting up cars and sending them to africa then putting it back to gether

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think your biggest fears should be that it gets damaged or stolen like everything else.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I brought a kettle and coiled metal drain unblocker thing in my suitcase. It must have looked suspicious to the US security x-ray people because my case had been opened and checked when it arrived.

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you need the original invoice and duty is payable.

Matilda
    Last edited by Matilda; 06-29-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    I brought a kettle and coiled metal drain unblocker thing in my suitcase. It must have looked suspicious to the US security x-ray people because my case had been opened and checked when it arrived.
    If there is anything metal or electronic in your suitcase, then it wil be opened and inspected. By my calculations, after two more trips, I will have enough of the TSA notices to wallpaper my bedroom.

As to the OP and the motorcycle part, your biggest challenge will be having it stolen by airline employees, but given that it is too large to quickly slip in a pocket, it should be safe. If you're coming into Santo Domingo, it won't be a problem. If you get caught, act very ignorant and innocent and slip a couple of $20 bills. NO PROBLEMA.

(Though I am not advocating breaking the law, only advocating doing it the Dominican way.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast