Taking motorcycle exhaust in checked baggage to DR

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I am taking a motorcycle exhaust system (basically some metal pipe and a big muffler) to the DR in my checked luggage, just wondering if I will have problems with American Airlines, US security, or Dominican customs? Any advice? I don't wanna take the invoice because its high performance, $700 system. You think they might take it apart?

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
only thing i can say is it is not a electronic item and just act like a tourist like this is your first time here and they might not look

May 29, 2006
If it isn't new and sealed in a factory box, there could be problems. I almost got kicked off of a flight because I was bringing a new camp stove and they took it apart and swabbed it for hydrocarbon residue. I think I would have lost the entire cost of my ticket because they said there was no way I could just leave it there. It was a very stressful situation.

May 29, 2006
Then do your homework. It might be better to ship it. If you can replace it with another still in the box, it would save a lot of headaches. I tried to call the airport about it and check online, but they are useless until you get there. Check on contraband items if you can. With a part that expensive, I'd also worry about insuring it.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I think your biggest fears should be that it gets damaged or stolen like everything else.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I brought a kettle and coiled metal drain unblocker thing in my suitcase. It must have looked suspicious to the US security x-ray people because my case had been opened and checked when it arrived.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I think you need the original invoice and duty is payable.

Matilda

Last edited:

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I brought a kettle and coiled metal drain unblocker thing in my suitcase. It must have looked suspicious to the US security x-ray people because my case had been opened and checked when it arrived.

If there is anything metal or electronic in your suitcase, then it wil be opened and inspected. By my calculations, after two more trips, I will have enough of the TSA notices to wallpaper my bedroom.

As to the OP and the motorcycle part, your biggest challenge will be having it stolen by airline employees, but given that it is too large to quickly slip in a pocket, it should be safe. If you're coming into Santo Domingo, it won't be a problem. If you get caught, act very ignorant and innocent and slip a couple of $20 bills. NO PROBLEMA.

(Though I am not advocating breaking the law, only advocating doing it the Dominican way.)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
At "Las Americas" airport in SD, I would say "No Problema"!
They never check ANYTHING!
At "POP", I can't say.
I would bring it, then do "Whatever Necessary" if they give you any grief at customs.
No trouble leaving the USA,checked luggage will not be any problem there.
Back-In-The-Day", Dominicans brought the car parts right into the cabin.
I saw a guy put a wind shield in the overhead compartment!
Today they just bring "Steamer Trunks" on, then spend 45 minutes trying to force it into the overhead.
Dominicans used to bring bottles of "Booze" with them into the cabin.
Since they were already drunk when they boarded, imagine how they got during the flight.
I once went to the back lavatory to PI$$ mid flight.
There was ground coffee all over some empty seats, on the floor, and especially in the bathroom.
I asked the flight attendant what happened???
She said the drunk Dominicans vomit all over themselves, the seats, and the bathroom, and ground coffee kills the stink.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
At "Las Americas" airport in SD, I would say "No Problema"!
They never check ANYTHING!
At "POP", I can't say.
I would bring it, then do "Whatever Necessary" if they give you any grief at customs.
No trouble leaving the USA,checked luggage will not be any problem there.
Back-In-The-Day", Dominicans brought the car parts right into the cabin.
I saw a guy put a wind shield in the overhead compartment!
Today they just bring "Steamer Trunks" on, then spend 45 minutes trying to force it into the overhead.
Dominicans used to bring bottles of "Booze" with them into the cabin.
Since they were already drunk when they boarded, imagine how they got during the flight.
I once went to the back lavatory to PI$$ mid flight.
There was ground coffee all over some empty seats, on the floor, and especially in the bathroom.
I asked the flight attendant what happened???
She said the drunk Dominicans vomit all over themselves, the seats, and the bathroom, and ground coffee kills the stink.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Ahhhh yes the good old days. I remember those flights ever so well. Everything but the kitchen sink was brought on, oh wait I think I saw a kitchen sink one time being shoved under a seat. To the OP the only issue I see is if they try to x-ray your bags once you pass through customs. Grab a porter and have him help you with your bags, they seem to be able to get through without a hassle.