Using Amazon in the DR?

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, I am trying to find out exactly how to use Amazon to buy things and have them shipped to the DR Santiago particularly. I would appreciate any information about the process itself, Aduanas problems, and where to have it delivered. Thank You

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I use a freight forwarder, primarily EncargoPaq, to bring in items from Amazon, EBay, etc. The items are shipped to my account in Florida and then delivered to my door. Items under $200 US (except for TVs) pay no duty. For larger items I ask for a door to door shipping price which includes all charges from the US to the DR.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I buy a lot from Amazon. I use EPS to get stuff to me. Amazon sends to my EPS address in Miami and EPS brings it to the EPS office in Sosua. Have been doing this for years.

Feb 7, 2007
All freight forwarders take roughly the same time. Day it is received in Miami, next day in SD in Aduana, the following day available for pickup in any of the nationwide offices. I use Pick N Send for their great rates, as well as BM Cargo.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I buy cigars from the USA all the time.
It's actually cheaper to buy Dominican cigars from Pennsylvania than here, including the shipping costs!!!
I once ordered two butane cigar lighters, they won't ship them on airplanes.
I told them to enjoy them in EPS Miami.
I buy watches on Amazon, at about 1/3 of DR prices,and my son sells them here, online, and at his univ.
They weigh very little, so shipping is minimal.
He sells them at 2/3,s DR prices.
He makes good "Spending Money".
And learns some "Business Sense" at the same time.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
ps., never have an order over $200 dollars, they WILL charge you customs fees if you do!

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Thank you very much to all. Please continue without overestimating my intelligence! Mr. Windeguy the door to door rate you ask for is from Encargopaq?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Vimenpaq has the best prices in Santiago and is across the street from the gas station on the left on JP Duarte right after crossing Ave Las Carreras.

The deal they have worked out with Aduanas is that the sum value of all the packages that arrive at any one time amount to less than $200.

One sometimes has to stagger shipments to ensure the over $200 tax is not applied. Also, all packages need to have a receipt or they will be taxed.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
would a kindle fire for 199 come thru eps without any problems? thanks

I would think so if there is a legitimate receipt in the package and not one someone made up to beat the $200 limit. The people in the aduana have a pretty good idea of what things cost.

I've gotten stuff very close to 200 via EPS with no problem.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I have used Amazon quite a lot and then used CPS or MBE to ship it to Las Terrenas. I have not yet ever bought any thing over US$200 so I have no experience of customs. never any problem except at RD$200 per lb for some things it works out expensive.
What I really like to know is how does it work for items to be delivered to my PO Box here in LT, I am told that biggish items are taken to Samana from where they have to be collected but I have not been told How I find out if they've arrived. At 70 km round trip it is not a journey I want to make needlessly.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
Vimenpaq has the best prices in Santiago and is across the street from the gas station on the left on JP Duarte right after crossing Ave Las Carreras.

The deal they have worked out with Aduanas is that the sum value of all the packages that arrive at any one time amount to less than $200.

One sometimes has to stagger shipments to ensure the over $200 tax is not applied. Also, all packages need to have a receipt or they will be taxed.

Each individual package must be less than 200.00 & you can have as many as you want come in at the same time. I have had 6 packages come in together of another item with invoices and values 192.95 and 199.99 and no taxes due.

g'luck

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

If I receive 10 packages of $195 each at the same time, I will not pay duty. It has nothing to do with how many packages arrive at the same time, but the value of each package has to be under $200 US to avoid duty.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I receive several packages at the same time via "EPS" I pay no duty if each package is below $200 US dollars.
Combined value has made no difference.
Some packages are over $200, if you add in USA shipping charges,Customs has not included the shipping charges as part of the $200 limit.
But if the cost of the package is 200.01, you will pay duty on THAT whole package.
Order accordingly!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Jan 17, 2009
You guys may be right but I do remember clearly someone posting that he had received two packages the same day and aduanas did add up the price of merchandise and charged taxes, saying that that was a bad trick. I'm pretty certain it was last year. Just in case, I'd rather order a few days apart to make sure they don't arrive together :classic: