Incresing Vendor Opposition To Beach Changes

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]The spokesman of the beach shops owners, Mr. Andr?s Batista, announced that the resistance increases to the proposed relocation of their businesses. The city council wants to close all trinkets shops and bars on the beach within ten months. The current owners are then entitled to a new home in one of the two shopping centers to be built at the entrance to the beach. The current entrepreneurs fear that the rent of the new shops will be so expensive that they can not afford it. The high season with enough customers only lasts three months (January, February and March) and the rest of the year it is difficult to survive. They are also afraid that many shops on the best locations are rented to the hotels.[/h] [h=5]Playa Sos?a[/h]
[h=5]Playa Sos?a[/h] [h=5]They also want a compensation for the move and installation costs. The owners of bars and restaurants, but also boats and beach chair rental, hairdressers, pedicures and the small supermarkets on the beach do not know what their future is. Should they move along or can they stay on the beach? An empty beach two kilometers long does not seem to be so attractive to the tourist. These owners fear for their future and think that apartments and hotels will be built on the beach and that there is no place for them.
The mayor promised all entrepreneurs that their complaints will be taken seriously and strives to be in close consultation with them to find solutions.[/h]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
an empty, peaceful beach where you can rest and relax unmolested would be a huge attraction to tourists...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
it is going to be no different to the casetas on the POP malecon. little by little, foreigners will start owning all the spaces...the locals are going to get priced out.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Where are all the art museums across the free world going to get their paintings, sculptures, mamajuana spice bottles and other priceless artifacts

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I must admit, I did buy a great "authentic' Aguilas hat from Steady Eddie for 1/3 of his asking price!
2699683171_f683edb6a5.jpg

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
As much as I sympathize with them, they are squatters pure and simple. No one owns any property or has a title. They set up there several years ago and were tolorated by the Gov. As for supporting 100's of people, I doubt that very much.

philosopher

Jul 7, 2010
A beach front replaced with hotels/condos and or high end eating places will in my opinion destroy Sosua beach. This needs to be thought through.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree that further condo development is actually destroying tourism on the north coast. This region needs more hotels that are not AI resorts to bring in tourists and have a turnover, not more overpriced condos or AIs.

As for moving out the vendors from Sosua beach to a mall like location, I agree that will not be easy and many people will not be happy.

And yes, they are all squatters who may not actually have any rights in this matter.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
As much as I sympathize with them, they are squatters pure and simple. No one owns any property or has a title. They set up there several years ago and were tolorated by the Gov. As for supporting 100's of people, I doubt that very much.

that's the thing. squatters here gain rights to the land way too fast, there is no stopping them. if you see squatters on your property you better burn their houses to the ground and then cover the earth with salt, broken glass and landmines. because darn, they will come back to reclaim that before you even blink an eye.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
that's the thing. squatters here gain rights to the land way too fast, there is no stopping them. if you see squatters on your property you better burn their houses to the ground and then cover the earth with salt, broken glass and landmines. because darn, they will come back to reclaim that before you even blink an eye.

Very true. I know several land owners who had to compensate squatters in order to get off their land.

If you see squatters on your land, get rid of them immediately, before they are established.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

why, dv8, you forgot smoldering coals.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
If they get rid of all the shops and bars and build condos and resorts. How does this affect access to the beach to the locals and tourists from the rest of the town? Can they affectively close the beach down to the general population?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If they get rid of all the shops and bars and build condos and resorts. How does this affect access to the beach to the locals and tourists from the rest of the town? Can they affectively close the beach down to the general population?

After speaking last night to someone who is very interested in the development of Sosua beach, the plan is to make it more like Cabarete beach where it can be kept open at night. The access at both ends of the beach would remain open.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

no one with a sound mind would put a resort in there. the land is not actually all that big: it's long and narrow and steep. plus there is a very noisy street along one side, a noisy barrio on one end and noisy city center on the other. a turista coming to DR wants to relax in relative peace and quiet. i would not even think of upscale condos, for the very same reason. maybe something middle price range, some condos, some apartments for long and short term rental plus few hotels: one b&b, one chica friendly and one normal non AI place. add few shops and restaurants,few green spaces and you are good to go.

but i am sure whoever owns that land wants some idiotically high money for it and therefore building anything with low return would be out of the question...

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I agree with the point in the original article that an empty beach of two kilometres does not seem attractive to some beach goers - somebody has to be there to provide beach chairs, drinks etc. But at the same time if they upgrade it more like Cabarete, where it is open at night makes more sense. However, I can't see many of the current "owners" being able to afford to set up bigger places a la Cabarete.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The people who would buy on Sosua beach will just love the holidays....10,000 people on your front porch.