The really good things about Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
I would like to know what you love about the DR, but not how great the sex is - or not. But the things that make your heart sing.
For example:
It was my birthday and around six neighbours came and sang "happy birthday to you"
A bride and groom turned up at the dance hall, the bride with her wedding dress and train over her arm. There were no tables. it was an open sided traditional dance hall so the houses around could see. A neighbour came across with a sofa and coffee table and put it on the pavement for them. Would this happen in the US or England?

Sep 4, 2012
This is the only country of where:

1. "Anything" can happen.
2. Anything can be bought at the traffic light "while everyone else wait" or at the colmado with delivery.
3. One can have a criada to do cooking, cleaning, laundry, babysitting and all other chores for 10K pesos a month.
4. Traffic tickets, no problems, they are cheap to pay should one decide to do the right thing, if not; pay a bribe and you are off the hook. No points on the license to worry about.
5. Aguacates all year around.
6. One can pretend to be a "big fish on a small pound." Some already do.
7. Being a foreigner is a plus in most cases.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
This is the only country of where:

1. "Anything" can happen.
2. Anything can be bought at the traffic light "while everyone else wait" or at the colmado with delivery.
3. One can have a criada to do cooking, cleaning, laundry, babysitting and all other chores for 10K pesos a month.
4. Traffic tickets, no problems, they are cheap to pay should one decide to do the right thing, if not; pay a bribe and you are off the hook. No points on the license to worry about.
5. Aguacates all year around.
6. One can pretend to be a "big fish on a small pound." Some already do.
7. Being a foreigner is a plus in most cases.

I said things that make your heart sing. Not work-a- day things.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I would like to know what you love about the DR, but not how great the sex is - or not. But the things that make your heart sing.
For example:
It was my birthday and around six neighbours came and sang "happy birthday to you"
A bride and groom turned up at the dance hall, the bride with her wedding dress and train over her arm. There were no tables. it was an open sided traditional dance hall so the houses around could see. A neighbour came across with a sofa and coffee table and put it on the pavement for them. Would this happen in the US or England?

when the a88hole who parked a huge truck under my window moves it, i will tell you. i live on the second floor of an apartment building, and i have a small balcony. some dirtbag parked his truck in such a way as to completely block the sidewalk, so nobody can use it. better yet, thieves can climb on the top of his vehicle, and get up to my balcony. that is typically Dominican rank and file behavior. he could not care less if someone gets into my apartment, and kills me. all he thinks about is that where he parks it is convenient to HIM. screw the rest of the world. typical mentality.

you were asking?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I was surprised when one day, as I laid in bed, sick as a dog:tired: one of my neighbors upon hearing that I was unable to get out of bed came over with some home made chicken soup.:classic: But it didn't stop there, she cleaned my house too.;)

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
when the a88hole who parked a huge truck under my window moves it, i will tell you. i live on the second floor of an apartment building, and i have a small balcony. some dirtbag parked his truck in such a way as to completely block the sidewalk, so nobody can use it. better yet, thieves can climb on the top of his vehicle, and get up to my balcony. that is typically Dominican rank and file behavior. he could not care less if someone gets into my apartment, and kills me. all he thinks about is that where he parks it is convenient to HIM. screw the rest of the world. typical mentality.

you were asking?

Gorgon, watch this guy! Maybe he parked there because it's convenient for him to rob someone.:rolleyes:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was surprised when one day, as I laid in bed, sick as a dog:tired: one of my neighbors upon hearing that I was unable to get out of bed came over with some home made chicken soup.:classic: But it didn't stop there, she cleaned my house too.;)

did you post that to make fun of me, bronzie? you know that i posted once how two unknown girls brought me soup for 3 days, when they heard i was sick.

when i look out my window, and this truck is not there, i will say nice things.

philosopher

Jul 7, 2010
Beaches
Suave life style
Music everywhere
Many nice people
Food
Natural tropical beauty
Country which gave me my wife and son

And others, but these are the things that come to mind quickly.

The ex pats who are there and complain love it too, or quite frankly they wouldn't be there. Don't let them fool you with all of the negative comments.

les1

Feb 1, 2007

I had that happen also. My neighbours really look after me.

les1

Feb 1, 2007

you were asking?

Nothing good with your experience with dominicans?

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
did you post that to make fun of me, bronzie? you know that i posted once how two unknown girls brought me soup for 3 days, when they heard i was sick.

when i look out my window, and this truck is not there, i will say nice things.

Nah! This is what's called Dominican hospitality. It hasn't/ doesn't happen to you only.:)

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
That's all folks! I can't think of anything else.:tired: Remember to think positive.:classic:

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
The maid who took all my laundry home with her, washed it, fixed my broken buttons with new ones, and refused any type of propina.. All was folded and starched and like new...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The maid who took all my laundry home with her, washed it, fixed my broken buttons with new ones, and refused any type of propina.. All was folded and starched and like new...

what is her phone number? i will fly her to my home, if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.