The Ugly American/Foreigner in the DR

Sep 4, 2012
I know most of you are smart enough to know what the title entails and also know that it doesn't only apply to Americans.

With that being said -- would you consider yourself as "The Ugly American?"

No literally, of course. Although some of us may just be......literally, but that doesn't count nor pertains to this subject.

Or do you rather make America or your home country, proud by being a good citizen and carrying out our ways of life as we should and specially beyond our borders?

Your turn.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I must admit that the ways of the country sometimes stick (almost completely limited to bending traffic rules), but overall I behave myself how I would behave in my country as well.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I shouldn't have an 'arrogant' attitude, being a guest here, like I detest the arrogant attitude of the many immigrants in my country.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Sometimes I have to remind myself that I shouldn't have an 'arrogant' attitude, being a guest here, like I detest the arrogant attitude of the many immigrants in my country.

Dominicans are very much appreciate foreigners who are not arrogant and respective of Dominican social interaction customs and it appears you realize this.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Wishingyouwell, unless you specifically are referring to Americans in the DR, this thread has to be closed or moved to Off Topic [where you can't see it until you have 500 posts]

So far only Chip's post qualifies.

Please clarify your question.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
The only time I become the Ugly American is when someone takes it upon themselves to enlighten me with all they feel is wrong with the USA the war in Iraq and why the UN is so much better than US.
It rarely works out well for them.
Otoh I am respectful always of my host nations and I respect thier traditions and customs.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Wishingyouwell, unless you specifically are referring to Americans in the DR, this thread has to be closed or moved to Off Topic [where you can't see it until you have 500 posts]

My answer was specifically for the Dominican Republic, being the only country I have lived besides my home country.

Sep 4, 2012

AE,

My apologies, the title may be perceived the wrong way, hence my clarification on the body of the OP. The question is posed to any expat, regardless of nationality and of course living in the DR. Though, experiences living else where may also apply. The OP its directed to experiences in the DR and the expat crow on this forum.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This is easy.

I'm ugly.

I'm American.

Therefore...

:classic:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
AE,

My apologies, the title may be perceived the wrong way, hence my clarification on the body of the OP. The question is posed to any expat, regardless of nationality and of course living in the DR. Though, experiences living else where may also apply. The OP its directed to experiences in the DR and the expat crow on this forum.

No problem, I edited the title a little ;)

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Last year, I ordered a copy of The Ugly American off Amazon.com and read it (it had been years since I originally read it).

What a great book, and amazing how much foresight it contained. It's still very pertinent today, and I certainly recommend everyone read it.

Though I really like to think of myself as Homer Atkins, as much as I hate to admit it, there are days when the Ambassador comes out in me (mostly when I have to drive in the capital).

Sep 4, 2012
Great book, great story, awesome reading for sure and as mentioned; foresight offered is far from being a trite. I as you, hate the SD crazy traffic -- well, actually not the traffic as much as the morons that cause it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i find that dominicans are, if not accepting, then very tolerant of gringo behaviour in general. sometimes i think it's a bit like visitors in a zoo passing cage with monkeys and seeing them play with their own faeces. dominicans look at us and think: oh, poor thing, it does not know any better...

i am cool with that. thanks to this chillin' attitude and my natural laziness i continue with my gringo foolery like wearing flip flops to lunch in a restaurant. i know better, i just can't bring myself to actually care...

it may be the case when both sides look at each other thinking the other one is savage when they are civilized. because each is set in their own way and their own traditions.

i am fine with an ugly foreigner label. the flip flop fits and i wear it.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Im suprised how quickly gringos driving and safety measures deteriorate so quickly after leaving their home country - I still indicate when turning whether there is anyone else on the road or not

May 22, 2006
Yes. OK. All gringos are sooner or later ugly. We have money to buy things...a certain level of life...so yes... they are jealous.
But important is... do not be foolish and have the impression that they are stupids. You must to accept the reality... Dominican
republic is not USA. So, be careful and alert all the time. Somebody check on you all the time and...one error...you are done.
Live low profile, be friendly and don't make waves. Live and let live. If you respect peoples...peoples respect you...because you
have money...this is the way.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Yes. OK. All gringos are sooner or later ugly. We have money to buy things...a certain level of life...so yes... they are jealous.
But important is... do not be foolish and have the impression that they are stupids. You must to accept the reality... Dominican
republic is not USA. So, be careful and alert all the time. Somebody check on you all the time and...one error...you are done.
Live low profile, be friendly and don't make waves. Live and let live. If you respect peoples...peoples respect you...because you
have money...this is the way.
It's not like that in the capital, the Dominicans that surround me are the ones with money, not me.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When I first moved here to work in 1996, I wore a business suit, EVERY WHERE!
I dressed like my Dominican superiors did.
I NEVER left the house in shorts, or even a short sleeved shirt.
I never knew when I would meet a Dominican co worker.
When I retired, Again, 10 years later in 2006, I began to dress like a "Gringo Tourista/Bum".
Shorts and T shirts every where.
Dressing Up, means a "Jogging Suit".
I gave away dozens of suits,ties, dress shirts, and more to a local Dominican church, with FAT members.
As far as this "Self Serving Thread" goes,It's just meant to give an opportunity to bash "Gringos", and let some "DR1ers" show how "PC" they are in the DR!
No matter how arrogant, and poorly we may, or may not, treat average Dominicans, we PALE in comparison to "Los Ricos" here!
They treat most of their "Countrymen" as a separate, and NOT EQUAL species!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
When I first moved here to work in 1996, I wore a business suit, EVERY WHERE!
I dressed like my Dominican superiors did.
I NEVER left the house in shorts, or even a short sleeved shirt.
I never knew when I would meet a Dominican co worker.

hahaha, same here. I used to wear suits and ties everyday for work. I still work at the same place, but now I wear jeans and polo shirts, or just an untucked shirt. I notice that since I wear as casual as it can be, people tend to think I am more important, something like "If he has the b@lls to wear like that to work, he must be a chivo"

Sep 4, 2012
Im suprised how quickly gringos driving and safety measures deteriorate so quickly after leaving their home country - I still indicate when turning whether there is anyone else on the road or not

Its a matter of upbringing rather than culture shock. I would agree that after some time the inefficiency and customary country manners rub off, however; as individual we are the ones with the choice to make it right or not, regardless. With being said, I also know the DR is not a bastion of laws abiding citizens either.

Sep 4, 2012
hahaha, same here. I used to wear suits and ties everyday for work. I still work at the same place, but now I wear jeans and polo shirts, or just an untucked shirt. I notice that since I wear as casual as it can be, people tend to think I am more important, something like "If he has the b@lls to wear like that to work, he must be a chivo"

The clothing doesn't make the monkey. The DR culture itself tends to look down on those not properly dressed by their standard. Myself, I rather be in shorts, shirts and sandals all they long, however; I dress for the occasion. There is time and places for everything, even for clothing.

I've done my share of polos, t-shirt and sneakers myself so, guilty as charged.