Help ....... trying to fly a dog to USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
A friend of ours has a dog, large, he weighs about 120lbs with the crate, they need to fly him from North Coast to Seattle area USA.

Apparently AA wants US$2,700 to transport the dog!!! :O

Any suggestions/solutions please?

buttons66

Oct 3, 2006
My friends words " okay, Delta now says NO! after they told us earlier yes, to the tune of $1200... USD of course.... Pete talked to someone at American Airlines, they want $2700 and that's a maybe because of the heat restrictions... and it's flying out of Santo Damingo! **** ME!! I was wondering if Mark could ask on DR1 if anyone knows of a way we can get him home. He's about 120 pounds with the crate and the crate is a 700 series... otherwise, I am stuck in Luperon until God knows when... I'm about ready to cry!!"

I just looked online at there website and it doesn't say any restrictions from DR to US. I would call and ask to talk to the manager and make a stink about it! All it says is that checked pets are $175, no other fees!
I know my airline and some others don't fly checked pets at this time of year, I don't know if that would be the case for the price or not?!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I ran into the same issues flying my dogs down here. They are both larger dogs, and with the crate, were going to cost a fortune on American Airlines. Fortunately for me, my US home is only four hours drive from Atlanta, so I was able to get the dogs here on a direct flight with me from Atlanta to Santo Domingo with Delta. It was a positive experience. American Airlines, even from Miami, was wanting to charge cargo rates at the tune of $2000, whereas Delta only charged $200 per dog (total $400).

This time of year, you probably are not going to run into heat restrictions. And flying all the way to Seattle is going to be an even bigger issue because that means multiple flights. Is there anyone with whom you can leave the dog until January or February, when the heat restrictions are not as bad? And can you drive to Atlanta from Seattle?

You might want to take a look at pettravel.com. The site has some great information that really helped me out when I was in the process of bringing my dogs here to the DR.

(And if bad comes to worse, I have the space to babysit a dog or two until the winter when flight restrictions aren't as bad.)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Can he pass the dog as a service dog? Anxiety reducing dog? You may have to buy him a seat...

I know you mean well...

I have flown dogs all over the world... puppies as a breeder, and adult dogs for competitions...

I have trained service dogs, and I very much respect them, and I admire the airlines which allow them to travel for free

Then again, I hate people who try to pass of their pets as service dogs, and therefore endanger the flights of those canine companions who are really needed.

Sorry... all in favor of people and their much needed service dogs, not so much for the scam artists

BelgianK

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
I know you mean well...

I have flown dogs all over the world... puppies as a breeder, and adult dogs for competitions...

I have trained service dogs, and I very much respect them, and I admire the airlines which allow them to travel for free

Then again, I hate people who try to pass of their pets as service dogs, and therefore endanger the flights of those canine companions who are really needed.

Sorry... all in favor of people and their much needed service dogs, not so much for the scam artists

BelgianK

Of course it was a joke. Next time I will be sure to write LOL in big letters. I sometimes forget that not everyone has the same sense of humour. And yes, I do mean well. And I do not lie and I do not scam.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
I was on the same AA flight from POP to Miami with the owner of Monkey Jungle and he had a male German Shepard which boarded with him into COACH! How the dog got under the seat is a mystery to me. He couldn't have been comfortable.

BTW, I met the man at his business earlier and he could see, walk and hear. This was no service dog.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Have you tried flying via Canada ? Air Canada is less restrictive I would think.
Would worth a try to call. Good luck.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Sorry to disappoint, but I just checked on the Air Canada website. Maximum weight allowed for dog and carrier combined is 32 kilograms (70 lbs).

And Delta only accepts the 700 series kennel as cargo, which means you're going to be paying much more.

Does your dog really need a 700 series? My black lab, who weighs 90 lbs, came in a 500 series. She was able to stand up and turn around and lay down, which are the requirements. Though we Americans like our personal space and don't want anyone near us when we travel, according to Temple Grandin, dogs feel safer without the extra room.

Status
Not open for further replies.