A Place To Stay to See the Whales - other than Cayo Levantado??

Apr 8, 2005
I'm taking a group of 10-15 friends to Samana next winter, and would love to see the whales from my front door. Could someone suggest a place to stay near the bay, where you can spot directly from your accommodation? If I must - Cayo Levantado is an option, if you can truly spot them from their beaches.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

ST
:classic:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I was at Ballenas Escondidas last year, just 10 minutes east of Samana city, and one morning saw 2 whales breaching about 200m off the beach. Really impressive sight. If you're up in the cliffs there's a good chance you'll get to see some but you have to keep your eyes peeled and have a lot of patience. It's a big body of water and although a lot of whales come down, you're not guaranteed to see them. We went out on Kim Bedall's boat and had a terrific time.

recycle

Jun 28, 2012
well yes, you could see whales from the beach, but the close encounter (with a boat) is another story. Every february I go there and I cry for joy.
In this photo you can see the whales area:

W60cO8K

the season is from january to march

Apr 8, 2005
I appreciate the informative responses. It seems that the best experience will be to stay at Cayo Levantado and include Kim's boat tour as an outing. @ Recycle, you actually can see the whales offshore from CL beach? I understand its not the same as being up close on the boat, but can you see the whales with any clarity - or a mere distant plop!! In my perfect world - i would sit on my oceanfront balcony or beach chair - while spotting an occasional whale breaching. I want to be able to describe, and plan our upcoming trip as best I can.

A bit more of my back story. I stayed @ El Portillo a couple years ago... i did Kim's boat tour, where we spotted 2-3 whales that late January morning. I thought they could have been displaced by the NCL cruise ship that sat further out in the bay!! I enjoyed the overall boat tour and her narrations very much... i deboarded her boat @ CL, where I was fortunate to have a tour and lunch at CL ( i work in the travel industry). I thought to myself that CL is perhaps close enough to the whale area to see them from the beach. That would be an added bonus and additional reason to pay their high rates.!!

That is a very handy map. One of these days I will fly into Punta Cana and venture North to the whale area. But that's a casual hike that I will do when traveling alone, or with a single companion. I truly look forward to THAT adventure. !! The D.R. is one of my favorite hangouts - so beautiful, calm & exciting!!

Happy Travels,
ST :squareeye

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2005
@ Kate P, thanks much for the info on Ballenas Escondidas! I was reading reviews on Trip Advisor, with mentions of seeing the whales directly from this casual mountainside resort.